Adam Lambert | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Adam Lambert Performs Mock Fellatio at the AMAs

Lambert

Adam Lambert set out to shock at the American Music Awards last night with a performance that was more "Let's Give 'Em Something to Talk About" than "For Your Entertainment", keeping the cameramen on their toes while bouncing between dancers and band members to perform a mock fellatio on the former, and a spit-swapping exercise on the latter. Lambert's pitchy voice certainly played second fiddle to the stunts.

Lambert told CNN the man-on-man kiss happened "in the moment".

Said Lambert: "Part of what I love about being a live performer is that sometimes you just are in the moment and sometimes things just happen...Adrenaline is a crazy, crazy, crazy feeling. Some of the things I love most about performing is when you're up there and all of the sudden you just have these feelings, this rush that comes over you...I do feel like there's a bit of a double standard in the entertainment community, on television, on radio. I feel like women performers have been pushing the envelope, especially, for the past 20 years. And all of the sudden a male does it and everybody goes 'Oh, we can't show that on TV.' For me, that's a form of discrimination and a double standard. And that's too bad."

Watch the performance and CNN interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Lambert2

Comments

1. Well, we're talking about Adam Lambert, not Janet Jackson, but if she did the same thing at the top of the show, then I say the same thing about her, absolutely NOT appropriate. Gay,Straight, Bi... it's just not cool.

Posted by: DR | Nov 23, 2009 4:21:15 PM

2. Lotta absurd pearl clutching here. Funny. "Scandal!" Why does this matter? I guess because of the homophobes who are really turned on by it--bordering violent threats.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 23, 2009 4:30:43 PM

3. Lots of hate on this site. Not unusual. He's gotten more comments than most other stories on more than a few sites. Sounds like a star to me. Good for him. And no, it hasn't been done before, because he is in fact gay. His singing wasn't perfect because he was actually singing. Did you guys enjoy J Lo's and Janet's pitch-perfect performances?

So a day after the awards ceremony, who are all the queens still talking about? I believe that would be Mr. Lambert. Queen on queen crime is so boring.

Posted by: David T | Nov 23, 2009 4:55:34 PM

4. So the controversial fellatio thing was a "blink and you miss it thing". Seriously? Not that big a deal.

What's a big deal is T-Rex and Goldfrapp have done this whole thing a whole lot better and it looks like he's being handled by the same idiots who handle most pop music in the US (and most pop music in the US sucks).

And the derogatory comments about Broadway? Really? Really? As a New Yorker/theater person I have my issues with the lack of innovative stuff on Broadway, but those are still my peeps. And I think you should all see Alice Ripley in Next to Normal and then come back and discuss Broadway some more.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 23, 2009 5:06:01 PM

5. God and the song is the pits. Seriously, is anyone making good Top 40 these days? Anyone?

Posted by: Alex | Nov 23, 2009 5:11:22 PM

6. Yep, that song is a little bit subpar, but half of the record is pretty good and fresh. My theory is that although he is a somewhat seasoned and gifted performer, he had a clear idea of who he is and what the record should be. Of course, it being his first major label recording (doesn't AI have a say in the record?,) they probably felt that he had to have a hygienic and sexy but safe vibe to it. To me, the end result sounds like a tug o war between Lambert's fearless spirit and people who wanted for him to keep just a bit of his edge but not so extreme that it would turn off AI's tween/mom fanbase. As I said, the too songs he co-wrote, plus a couple more and the Lady Gaga one are fantastic. I believe he could be as great as Placebo, if it wasn't for these factors. Hopefully that'll change for his second recording.

Posted by: Bitch | Nov 23, 2009 5:39:20 PM

7. The commenters on here all worry "about the children". Give me a break. Adam was one of the last perfomances on the show, which I believe came on around 10:45 pm. If your little ones were up that time, then it's your own fault. Also the show did have a TV-14 rating. Do you let your kids watch other show @ 10:30pm that are TV-14 when they are not old enough for it? If so, then get off your moral soapbox.

Posted by: DairyQueen | Nov 23, 2009 5:47:17 PM

8. "representing us" is not his job.
    Hitting the notes on pitch is.

Posted by: Austin | Nov 23, 2009 6:03:29 PM

9. Also I have noticed no one on here or the net bitching about Rihanna peformance with the white shotguns her dancers were cocking, swinging around, and pointing them at the crowd. I simulating violence is ok on TV for the children to see, but two men making out (which you can see on the soap operas)is the worst thing. DOUBLE STANDARDS folks.

Posted by: DairyQueen | Nov 23, 2009 6:16:56 PM

10. Pushing the envelope. His act is so contrived. Scissor Sisters did this shit three years ago...and seemed more authentic. This dude is nothing more that a Walmart version of the greats that lead the way, including Freddy & David Bowie.

Think Nick said it best. See you on Broadway in about 12 months!

Posted by: Martin D. Luther | Nov 23, 2009 6:17:07 PM

11. Janet Jackson grabbed a dancers crotch and I think also put his face in front of her crotch. I think people are making a bigger deal about this because it was at the end of the show. By the end people had already forgotten most of the other performances.

Posted by: RL | Nov 23, 2009 6:39:41 PM

12. If the point of the production number was to make people talk it worked.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 23, 2009 6:46:50 PM

13. His parents must be so proud. It's this kind of junk that makes the haters say gays are pervy. Lambert hasn't been famous that long and he's already showing he has no class. He's not a big star yet...he just thinks he is. He needs to chill and stop trying to be so out there and scandalous. There's only one Madonna and she was doing that shtick many, many years ago.

Posted by: Jimmy/Boston | Nov 23, 2009 7:18:21 PM

14. A decent voice has been wasted on such a heap of tack that he seems to be.

Posted by: NSFW | Nov 23, 2009 7:43:27 PM

15. "It's this kind of junk that makes the haters say gays are pervy."

Oh, please. Wrong: Haters think you're pervy because you're a man who likes having sex with men. Doesn't matter if you're Adam on TV in shock drag, in chaps at the Eagle, or dressed in a 3 piece suit going home from work to your husband and kids in the suburbs. Anyone who claims to take back their alleged tolerance for homosexuality based an awards show performance is lying--they always thought you were pervy. Policing (i.e. censoring) "junk"--whether it's aesthetically pleasing or not--isn't going to win over the haters.

I loved Adam on AI, but I always thought he was best when he just sang his ass off. The shock attempts--particularly when they compromise the vocals--pretty much bore me (I've seen guys kissing and real fellatio before--the shock wasn't aimed at us, obviously), whether it's Madonna or Adam or Lady Gaga, but let's keep it in perspective and let the boy do what he wants without pretending that the fate of gay rights hinges on his every move. If we want our entertainers out, some of them might not be out exactly how we each wish. The alternative is telling them to behave or stay in the closet where they won't risk offending the "sensitive" masses.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 23, 2009 8:54:20 PM

16. Bowie, 1972 sinking to his knees in front of Mick Ronson. This young man actually IS doing retro pop, and he isn't a pretentious git about it. Yeah, this was a sloppy first performance, but he has a hell of a lot of pressure on him (no pun intended). He also seems to have a personality, which is always a big plus. Down with fembots chanting the same boring chorus, thumbs up to Glambert for at least giving it the ol' hypersexual try. HE is more like Madonna, who was humping her microphone in '82 and oblivious to the consequences of a camera up her buttocks. Ah, the golden years.

Posted by: Zazu | Nov 23, 2009 8:59:09 PM

17. I think he still has a lot to prove before he gains any wide acceptance - which may or may not happen.

We've seen the sex-shock before, and plenty of others have had vocally-off nights. So what's he gonna do for an encore when it looks like he played all his cards in the first go-round? He better have some substance behind the glam, or he'll be out on his ass before his gel dries.

Posted by: mark | Nov 23, 2009 9:33:56 PM

18. Daniel did you really just say that what he did was important? Lambert's definitely not a role model or political statement for our issues. He just set us back and did this more for self promotion. "For me, that's a form of discrimination and a double standard. And that's too bad," quoting Lambert about possible suppression of the performance. Give me a freaking break. Lambert your career is washing up faster every day.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Nov 23, 2009 9:49:34 PM

19. I haven't seen Adam's performance yet.(I tried to view the clip above but the Dick Clark people had it removed.) But I'm less offended by what Adam did or didn't do, than I am about the fact that there is STILL an American Music Awards. I'm more pissed that that the blandest white girl in the history of the world, Taylor Swift, won five awards.

Posted by: Alex Sarmiento | Nov 23, 2009 10:01:57 PM

20. hot man on man action....on national tv....as for the performance....his CD is MUCH more impressive....its the Entertainment industry....raunchiness is kinda expected

Posted by: cc | Nov 24, 2009 1:29:55 AM

21. I have read some reasonable, non-hate posts which suggest that Adam should save ANY sexual stuff for later in his career, when he's more established. I disagree. I do like when Adam concentrates on vocals rather than sex (which he most often does), but the performance at AMA was badly needed. Without it, he would be apologizing for his sexuality, which is always a losing strategy. The Christian Taliban crowd rewards apologies about sex with aggressive contempt rather than brownie points. "Fortune favors the bold."

Posted by: Phil | Nov 24, 2009 11:23:07 AM

22. I thought he was trying not to appear to gay?

Posted by: James | Nov 24, 2009 12:02:26 PM

23. Straight people are complaining about it more than gays. They can tolerate gays like Lance Bass who don't wear makeup and act flamboyant. Lambert just got a tv appearance canceled because he wants to rely on shock rather than talent. Network tv is different than HBO or Showtime. I'm still waiting for the day when a singer comes along who is masculine, doesn't wear boy george makeup, is classy, and just happens to be gay. Like a Johnny Mathis, but for these times.

Posted by: Jimmy/Boston | Nov 24, 2009 2:24:56 PM

24. Jimmy/Boston, there are PLENTY of openly gay and not flamboyant singer/musicians out there--Jonsi of Sigur Ros and Jonsi and Alex; Joel Gibb from The Hidden Cameras; Owen Pallet (aka Final Fantasy); Ed Droste from Grizzly Bear; Matmos; Stephin Merritt from The Magnetic Fields; Andy Butler from Hercules and Love Affair; John and Frank Navin from The Aluminum Group.

*granted, none of these guys are like Johnny Mathis (except the Navin Brothers who have very smooth and silky vocals) but they are all very talented and very very cool.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 24, 2009 2:51:58 PM

25. Kele Okereke from Bloc Party.

But let's be honest... unlike all these gay band members, Adam Lambert is a solo artist and has a much higher profile than, uh, Grizzly Bear. It's ok to not like his music (there are several tracks on the album that are just pop garbage). But don't deny that he's a pioneer.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 25, 2009 11:11:51 AM