Activism | News | Yale

Yalies of the Day

Yale

Love this photo - by Daniel Carvalho at the Yale Daily News.

Apparently, 25-year-old evangelical preacher Jesse Morrell has been attracting a crowd on campus:

"While Morrell failed to attract much attention from passersby during his first two days on campus, on Thursday afternoon, about 100 Yalies gathered to watch him rail against moral corruption at Yale. Several of those gathered wondered aloud if Morrell actually believed the things he said, and others heckled during his sermon, while others still took photos and videos on their cell phones. 'It seems like he’s really enjoying this, frankly,' Jeremy Poindexter ’11."

Comments

1. Dirty Dancers?

Posted by: bearheim | Dec 4, 2009 7:40:30 PM

2. Wow. Very nice post. Well done to you....

Posted by: c0smo | Dec 4, 2009 7:54:57 PM

3. Hey! I'm 12 of the things on his list - yippee! ;-)

Posted by: Rick | Dec 4, 2009 7:59:50 PM

4. i live about 15 minutes from Yale. it would be a cold, dead area without Yale students and faculty.

Posted by: casey | Dec 4, 2009 8:14:06 PM

5. I'm 7! I'd be more if I were an American citizen.

Posted by: Kári Emil | Dec 4, 2009 8:14:09 PM

6. btw, i'm a 10 on his list, but could be easily persuaded to add a couple more with some smooth talking, old Bowie tunes and a few shots of Tequila Añejo : )

Posted by: casey | Dec 4, 2009 8:18:56 PM

7. I'm 12 too!

Also, i've gone to school with both of the last two activists of the day... this makes me proud!

Posted by: Robert | Dec 4, 2009 8:22:24 PM

8. I'm at 10... but I was drinking a glass of chard while typing this so I'm not clear if that qualifies me as a "drunkard."

Posted by: crispy | Dec 4, 2009 8:31:23 PM

9. I'm only 5. What am I doing wrong with my life?!

Posted by: GiGi | Dec 4, 2009 8:42:05 PM

10. Damn

I could fit 15 of those

LOL I'm a Big time heathen and will end up the Devil's boyfriend...that is if the fairytale of the devil was real

All You others r pollyanas
    :-P

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Dec 4, 2009 8:53:08 PM

11. So this is what the Republican Party has been reduced to?

Posted by: jessejames | Dec 4, 2009 9:16:02 PM

12. New Haven would have a tax base and wouldn't be such a pit if it wasn't for Yale.

Yale faculty can be fun as can grad students, but Yale undergrads are generally horrid (as they continue to be throughout their lives.) I was shocked, year after year, to see them fling themselves back into the closet upon graduation when they realized they'll lose their Yale-bestowed privilege if they didn't conform.... It really puts the previous 4 years into perspective. That said, it was fun fucking my way through all the colleges, well, mostly fun, not being able shut up without a cock in their mouths was a common flaw.

Posted by: Greg | Dec 4, 2009 9:16:19 PM

13. I lol'd when I saw "Obama Voters" on his board. Nice that gays and women with a brain are condemned. I'm surprised minorities weren't on there...maybe on the front side. Lol, sorry but it just sounds like all the cool people will be partying in Hell.

Posted by: daws | Dec 4, 2009 9:52:20 PM

14. That's a hot kiss... kinda like "the kiss" from The Notebook. *sigh* if only I get to have a kiss like that..

Posted by: Dan | Dec 4, 2009 10:10:24 PM

15. Come on Jesse, what about bi-sexuals? Hate for them to feel left out. I've got 13 covered. Not bad for a old straight woman from Mississipii.

Posted by: Helen | Dec 4, 2009 10:39:43 PM

16. Nothing says success like wearing a sandwich board.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 4, 2009 11:12:25 PM

17. according to the sign I am going to HELL on sooooo many levels. LOL

Posted by: Ted | Dec 5, 2009 12:51:18 AM

18. Well, you know what they say, patrick, dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 5, 2009 12:58:46 AM

19. Hindus? Really? Man is there anything these loons don't find objectionable?

Posted by: robert | Dec 5, 2009 1:24:23 AM

20. LOL, I love how two guys kiss in front of him! Kind of makes you wonder about the his right to free speech though? I mean he should be able to say what he wants but then again if he's causing a public nusance...hhmm. ;) peace

Posted by: Leonard | Dec 5, 2009 2:22:31 AM

21. The guy in the green argyle sweater looks so like, "Fuck, I wish I was in that sandwich." Or perhaps I'm projecting.

Posted by: Jeff In Boston | Dec 5, 2009 6:49:30 AM

22. I have not seen so much talk about religion since the "tent revival's" of the 1970's when I was a youngster. There has always been religious nutcase's in my family; why do you think I ended up far away from them. Congrats to those people in the picture; somebody needs to put a face of the movement.

Posted by: Jeff Dunivant | Dec 5, 2009 7:15:05 AM

23. Leonard, he is saying what he wants. So are the other guys, and they're not preventing him from saying what he wants. He's using threats and they're defying them, since those threats are based on superstition and judgement. That's free speech in action. I've got plenty of respect for the process, if not for that individual.

Posted by: DD | Dec 5, 2009 8:29:37 AM

24. Oh, and I've got 7. I would have had 8 but I'm English so I can't vote for Obama.

Posted by: DD | Dec 5, 2009 8:30:54 AM

25. Nice list by why aren't 'war mongering bloodthirsty corrupt greedy Republicans' on there?

And Leonard, the point is, he IS being allowed his 'freedom of speech' by being able to walk around with a board telling certain people they are going to HELL. So he should get what he deserves if he
    chooses to incite people. It's his own fault and he only has himself to blame for any adverse publicity HE incites. He doesn't have to go out and antagonise people. He could go and dole out soup at his local shelter or help those in need like the good christian he obviously is.

Posted by: EM | Dec 5, 2009 8:31:04 AM