Gareth Thomas | I'm Gay | News | Rugby | Sports | Wales

Wales Rugby Star Gareth Thomas: I'm Gay

Gareththomas

Wales rugby legend and fullback for the Cardiff Blues Gareth Thomas has joined the few high-profile athletes who have come out of the closet during their career, telling the Daily Mail he's gay:

Thomas "I've been through all sorts of emotions with this, tears, anger and absolute despair. I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to let people know, and, to be honest, I feel anxious about people's reactions and the effect it might have on my family. It's been really tough for me, hiding who I really am, and I don't want it to be like that for the next young person who wants to play rugby, or some frightened young kid. I don't know if my life is going to be easier because I'm out, but if it helps someone else, if it makes one young lad pick up the phone to ChildLine, then it will have been worth it. My parents, my family and my friends all love me and accept me for who I am, and even if the public are upset by this, I know the love of those people who mean the most to me will never change. I'm not going on a crusade, but I'm proud of who I am. I feel I have achieved everything I could ever possibly have hoped to achieve out of rugby, and I did it being gay. I want to send a positive message to other gay people that they can do it, too."

Much more at the Daily Mail...

Former Australian rugby star Ian Roberts, who came out late in his career in 1995, told the Sun Herald: "It's great that the times have allowed for it. It's so bewildering to me that other people haven't allowed for that to happen to themselves. There are so many gay sportspeople ... gay people playing league. I'm just like, 'How can you be controlled by all these other people?' It doesn't have to be a problem, as long as you don't allow it to be a problem. I think it's great ... at long last someone else has done it! It's almost like, that's the breaking of the ice for me. The fact that someone else has done it, it shows that it can happen and it does happen."

Comments

1. HOT

Posted by: jpastor717 | Dec 19, 2009 9:43:56 AM

2. Good for him, I hope this gives courage to others to follow suit. And yes he's hot, inside and out.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 19, 2009 10:04:34 AM

3. He's awesome, wish there were guys (athletes) like him when I was young.

Posted by: Rob West | Dec 19, 2009 10:06:22 AM

4. HOT x2 :-)

Posted by: me | Dec 19, 2009 10:14:25 AM

5. Good on him, what a champ!

Posted by: Chaq | Dec 19, 2009 10:19:37 AM

6. BRAVO!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 19, 2009 10:22:08 AM

7. Great I hope he inspires others to follow him. And he is one yummy hot stud!

Posted by: Tone | Dec 19, 2009 10:22:36 AM

8. He really is a hot looking guy, but his public coming out makes him 10 times hotter. Reminds me of an old bumper sticker, "It takes leather balls to play rugby."

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 19, 2009 10:42:58 AM

9. The guy is smoking hot, but even hotter because he's real.

Posted by: Warren | Dec 19, 2009 10:50:00 AM

10. People have known he was gay for years - it's hardly an announcement; and to come out at the end of your career? Well, at least he's done it, but it's hardly a revelation or ground-breaking.

Posted by: Rhys | Dec 19, 2009 10:52:31 AM

11. Good for him and even if it is at the end of his career, that's a jillion times better than coming out after he's retired.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 19, 2009 11:06:51 AM

12. As someone who's played for the San Francisco Fog Rugby Football Club, I am giving a standing ovation :).

Posted by: Sean Chapin | Dec 19, 2009 11:32:57 AM

13. Cheers to him!!!

Posted by: MrRoboto | Dec 19, 2009 12:35:44 PM

14. @RHYS, well, geez, you just HAD to be the debbie downer here didn't you?

It's a huge revelation to the world at large and quite groundbreaking. What other famous rugby star has come out, even at the end of his career, besides the aforementioned Australian Ian Roberts in 1995?

Posted by: RJ | Dec 19, 2009 12:55:34 PM

15. Good for him, it does take courage to come out. But guys of course he's good looking, he's young! Christ get a grip.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 19, 2009 1:07:43 PM

16. I'd do him!

Posted by: TrueBlue | Dec 19, 2009 1:20:59 PM

17. brave guy

i like the new banner pic btw

Posted by: steve | Dec 19, 2009 1:21:51 PM

18. @sargon bighorn

Youth doesn't always equal good looking. No more so than old equals ugly. Look around.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 19, 2009 1:35:33 PM

19. @Sargon, i've seen some pretty fat, fugly young guys that i wouldn't let lick my socks and I'm 50. The point is he's brave, not "he's hot".

Posted by: johnny | Dec 19, 2009 1:59:05 PM

20. I guess he's hot; I mean, he's got a killer build. Just not my type, though. But I'm over the moon for him and proud of him for having the guts to come out.

Most people would be afraid of coming out because they'd expect it to be harder living outside the closet. He has a wonderful message for other gay athletes, in saying that he thinks it will be easier on him AFTER coming out because he can be himself.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 19, 2009 2:00:48 PM

21. He also looks like he'd be able to beat the crap out of anyone who even thought of taunting him. I want him on my team.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 19, 2009 2:03:46 PM

22. Rhys, i am welsh and a rugby fan (of course!) and it was news to me so I'm sure it is news to many. It's not like he isn't risking anything by coming out - he is. He's only recently retired from the international game and his career is by no means over. He is still a high profile figure in rugby and a legend in wales so it is actually quite a big deal. It takes balls to do what he's done; rugby is THE most macho sport. I cannot think of any other openly gay man in public life in the UK who dispels every gay stereotype better than Gareth; he breaks the mould and shows people once and for all that masculinity is not the exclusive preserve of the straight man. That will mean a lot to a lot of young gay men.

Posted by: atheist | Dec 19, 2009 2:14:43 PM

23. Yes, he's brave. AND he's hot.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Dec 19, 2009 2:31:28 PM

24. That's one courageous guy. Good for him!

Posted by: Pinky | Dec 19, 2009 2:38:25 PM

25. I'm glad he's out. Good for him. We need people like this because he in such a terribly phobic milieu. But he does nothing for me physically. I long ago got over the jocks-are-hot fetish society beats into us from birth. If I saw him in a bar I wouldn't look twice. That's not meant to be flame bait or a slam against him. Some jocks are hot, but I find brains much more sexy and interesting than the ability to follow a ball around a field or court. And far more useful toward making the world a better and more interesting place.

Posted by: JSE | Dec 19, 2009 3:13:39 PM