I'm Gay | Meredith Baxter | News

BigGayDeal.com

Family Ties Mom, Meredith Baxter: I'm Gay

Baxter

Family Ties mom Meredith Baxter (above, now and then), came out of the closet on the Today show following reports in the National Enquirer that she was spotted on a lesbian cruise in the Caribbean.

Watch the Today show clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Baxter: "I am a lesbian and it was a later-in-life recognition. Some people would say, well, you’re living a lie and, you know, the truth is – not at all. This has only been for the past seven years...I’ve always lived a very private life. To come out and disclose stuff is very antithetical to who I am...I did not want some tabloid to take the story and make it up -- I wanted it to be in my own words."

Baxter has been with her current partner, who is out, for four years. "I had to reach a level of comfort because it wasn’t fair to push her back into secrecy. We live very out lives in Los Angeles," said Baxter.

She also talked about telling her kids: "I said, ‘I think I’m gay,’ and my oldest boy said, ‘I knew.' The support from my family and anyone close to me has been so immediate and unqualified. I’ve really been blessed."

Meredith Baxter also appeared on Frank DeCaro's Sirius radio show yesterday to talk about her coming out (scooping the Today show). Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Today show:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Wow. Oh. Wow.
    Good for her.

Posted by: rob | Dec 2, 2009 8:46:09 AM

2. Sha-la-la-la

Posted by: TANK | Dec 2, 2009 8:53:09 AM

3. I woulda picked Justine Bateman, but my gaydar is sorta sketchy in lesbian mode.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 2, 2009 9:30:12 AM

4. Congratulations to her.

I really just don't understand how one can be so unsure of their own feelings for so long.

Posted by: JeffRob | Dec 2, 2009 9:32:57 AM

5. Some things do improve with age. She looks great.

Posted by: David T | Dec 2, 2009 9:33:10 AM

6. This really shocked me! But when is her tv husband going to come out?

Posted by: Gabe R L | Dec 2, 2009 9:34:22 AM

7. I had no idea - but good for her for being so honest, and so comfortable with the subject now. She's seems so relaxed and confident, and that is something I don't necessarily remember about her from the Family Ties days. Also, how great was it that she totally gets the political aspect, without making it paramount in her announcement.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Dec 2, 2009 9:45:39 AM

8. That was a great interview. I'm glad she's finally happy with her life. Everyone deserves that kind of happiness.

Posted by: David in Houston | Dec 2, 2009 9:55:00 AM

9. Admirable in many ways. In addition to being fair and open to herself, coming out as a mother of five sends the right message to her children (and grandchildren) that they can and should be who they are in an open and honest way.

And she looks great; something must be working!

That she came out late in life is nothing to be shamed of or embarassed about. As a man with two sons who came out at 45, I can attest that gay men or women dont always come to that realization at the same time or in the same way.

Posted by: tom | Dec 2, 2009 10:32:15 AM

10. I'm still waiting for the third installment in the Betty Broderick trilogy!

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Dec 2, 2009 10:32:45 AM

11. I knew I was gay when I was watching tool time at the age of 9 and said to myself, Gee Jonathan taylor thomas is HOTTTT! How do these people at the age of 45 and on just wake up and say "Hey, I'M GAY" like it's an epiphany or something.

Posted by: J. Bocca | Dec 2, 2009 10:43:56 AM

12. Congrats to her.
    We are everywhere.
    Powerful stuff.
    The religious wrong must be so upset by this news. :) lol
    Fuck them!

Posted by: SFshawn | Dec 2, 2009 11:21:05 AM

13. Meredith joins a long list of gay people who played heterosexual parents on iconic TV shows including Robert Reed, Dick Sargent and Reginald VelJohnson. Welcome!

Posted by: Bill | Dec 2, 2009 1:49:38 PM

14. How can someone "think" they are..either you are or you're not. It's amazing when people are married for so long then decide they are gay. Don't get it.

Posted by: annab | Dec 2, 2009 3:05:44 PM

15. I wrote a novel about a woman coming out late-in-life called Seeking Sara Summers. For these women it isn't about getting their 15 minutes of fame (a criticism I saw of Meredith Baxter on another site), it's about getting a life. I think it takes a tremendous amount of courage to simply be who you are.

Posted by: writergabriel | Dec 2, 2009 4:19:23 PM

16. I knew early on, as well, but this quote from Ms. Baxter really helped me understand where late-in-lifers are coming from:

"The analogy I've used is a story [from] when I was a kid. I never could see very well and I said something to my parents and it kind of went unnoticed, or no one really responded to it. I guess I didn't make enough noise. When I was 12 I tried on a [friend's] pair of glasses and I was stunned with how clearly I could see. In truth, I used to think trees looked like lollipops because there was a solid stake and this solid ball. I didn't know most people could see leaves."

I wish her nothing but the best.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 2, 2009 4:40:46 PM

17. OMG JOHNINMANHATTAN! The Betty Broderick movies are the best! I love how she goes bonkers and tortures "Dan! Dan Broderick! You and your whore!"

By the way - if you ever see interviews with the real Betty Broderick there is a close resemblence.

BETTY BRODERICK A WOMAN SCORNED IS A MUST SEE.

Posted by: Tell it like it is | Dec 2, 2009 4:52:59 PM

18. She used to attend my church here in LA with her husband.

She was never friendly, but I always thought it had to do with her wanting her privacy. Who knows.

Good for her!

Posted by: FunMe | Dec 2, 2009 5:28:43 PM

19. She does look great. I saw a promo that she was going to be on the Today show this morning and I couldn't think of why. I missed it because I had to get to work, but I get it now. Good for her. Good for all gays and lesbians. The more of us that are out the better off we all are.

Posted by: Ray | Dec 2, 2009 8:44:30 PM

20. Regarding this comment:
    "How can someone "think" they are..either you are or you're not. It's amazing when people are married for so long then decide they are gay. Don't get it."

When I came out later in life, it wasn't that I suddenly decided to be gay. I was mildly attracted to the man I married, loved him, and thought that was it. I didn't know what powerful chemistry could be as I didn't really know that homosexuality could be an option.

I'm more attracted to women than I am to men, but growing up, all I knew was that I thought alot of girls were very pretty. It just wasn't in my paradigm to believe that feeling could be attraction.

Posted by: Shell | Dec 2, 2009 9:17:59 PM

21. When I first heard, I yawned. But listening to her interviews she's clearly nervous and still not yet fully comfortable with her sexuality.

Surely thus will put all that behind her and shell finally be truly free to be herself.

Posted by: Anyway | Dec 3, 2009 6:52:55 AM

22. We love you Meredith!  Thanks for coming out, and thanks for joining us on the Sweet Caribbean Cruise www.discoversweet.com.

Posted by: Sweet | Dec 3, 2009 5:22:28 PM

23. Go Meredith! Took alot of guts to discuss your private life on national television. I grew up watching Family Ties and with you coming out of the closet does not change my opinion of you at all! I wish you all the happiness in the world:)

Posted by: Kerry | Dec 4, 2009 2:39:34 PM