David Letterman | Film | Gay Slurs | News | Robert Downey Jr.

Gays Referred to as 'Homos' and 'Screamers' on Letterman

Downeyjr

In a discussion about the potential gay undertones of the new Sherlock Holmes film on Wednesday night, Robert Downey Jr. and Paul Shaffer referred to gays as "homos" and "screamers" while Letterman appeared uncomfortable.

Downey Jr.'s "homos" line got a big laugh from the audience, so Shaffer saw an opportunity to get in on the gag.

Shortly thereafter,  Downey Jr. reminds the audience that many "butch homosexuals" do, in fact, exist: "And I am proud to know certain of them."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via will clark - site nsfw)

Comments

1. I am not impressed with the drug addict's comments.

Posted by: Steven Jacobson | Dec 18, 2009 9:36:55 AM

2. I didn't find Downey Jr.'s comment offensive at all, but Shaffer's interjection of "screamers" was a little too much I think.

Posted by: Wes | Dec 18, 2009 9:39:46 AM

3. I think gays should be treated with respect, but wilting and crying at every transgression makes us seem like dainty, fragile flowers. Let's toughen up our titties, shall we?

Posted by: patrick lehman | Dec 18, 2009 9:43:00 AM

4. Patrick's right, to a point. I think we can all tell the difference between a benign off-color comment and a malicious statement.

Is Paul Shaffer still alive? I thought he died years ago. Amazing what technology can do these days.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 18, 2009 9:44:47 AM

5. Who's wilting and crying over this? It can be discussed without protest.

Posted by: Wes | Dec 18, 2009 9:48:04 AM

6. Shaffer is an ass. I thought Downey's comment was fine.

Posted by: jstice | Dec 18, 2009 9:50:10 AM

7. Thank you, Wes. The only one I see crying and whining and acting like a dainty flower is Patrick Lehman.

Posted by: whoa | Dec 18, 2009 9:53:19 AM

8. So again I reiterate... We need to take back the words faggot and queer and "own" them for ourselves by calling each other these names but homo is offensive. Am I understanding this correctly?

Missing anything here at all?

Please, let's get this stupid debate underway because I'm seriously considering ditching my "gay, queer, fag" ID card and saying fuck you to the lot of you the next time you are beaten or killed. You're being fucking stupid.

Posted by: Marc C | Dec 18, 2009 9:57:33 AM

9. @Marc C: wow.

Posted by: tcw | Dec 18, 2009 10:00:23 AM

10. "I'm seriously considering ditching my "gay, queer, fag" ID card and saying fuck you to the lot of you the next time you are beaten or killed"

What an awful thing to say. Anyone who would need help probably wouldn't want it from you.

Posted by: Wes | Dec 18, 2009 10:00:57 AM

11. Most amusing coming from a well-known bisexual who during his stretch in prison asked to put into the gay drug rehab group.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 18, 2009 10:04:51 AM

12. Watch the video. I really don't think Downey was suggesting the 'homo' aspect was a negative at all. In fact he seemed to be playfully making a case for it, like when he suggested the fiance as a beard. I don't think he used the word in an insulting way at all, it was only when Shaffer decided to say "you're saying they're a bunch of screamers?" that things got awkward.

Posted by: Wes | Dec 18, 2009 10:10:23 AM

13. we are homos.

Posted by: Dan B | Dec 18, 2009 10:12:08 AM

14. Robert Downey Jr. 'homos" "screamers" Pot meet kettle. I guess he forgot those long hot nights at the MGR in Palm Springs. What a tool.

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 18, 2009 10:14:09 AM

15. STEVEN JACOBSON: That was a snide yet typical comment. You, who I'm sure, live without fault. Robert sure has his addiction problems but seems to to be keeping his demons at bay.
    How about you? Can't beat the meth? Oh... I'm sorry. Was that rude?
    Robert's comment made me laugh. He seems to be one of the least hateful people. His antics made headlines but never, even drunk or high, did he ever make snide remarks about anyone.
    STEVEN JACOBSON: Must be lonely living so high up.

Posted by: JimmyDj | Dec 18, 2009 10:16:12 AM

16. WES: I see awful things posted here all the time. Snide, snotty, snarky, rude, hateful... all written by gay people.
    What's the difference?

Posted by: JimmyDj | Dec 18, 2009 10:18:21 AM

17. JimmyDJ, what's your point? Am I supposed to disagree with you or something?

Posted by: Wes | Dec 18, 2009 10:21:32 AM

18. The point that I am trying to make is if there was any word that we need to accept on behalf of ourselves it is homo. As Dan says that IS technically what we are.

I'm tired of using a more palatable name for myself or adjusting my own sense of right and wrong b/c some of us think it'll lessen the sting. That's utter bullshit.

Posted by: Marc C | Dec 18, 2009 10:21:51 AM

19. Shaffer is an ass. I thought Downey's comment was fine, says Jstice.
    Hear, hear.

Posted by: Lars | Dec 18, 2009 10:22:02 AM

20. DAVID EHRENSTEIN: Well known? Really? Has he said he's bisexual? There's been rumor for years but rumor doesn't mean it's true. You say this as a fact. The fact is, he was asked to move for his own safety. And since he seems to being doing well with his sobriety, what does it matter?
    Just like the argument against gay marriage, how does Robert's personal life effect you?

Posted by: JimmyDj | Dec 18, 2009 10:23:02 AM

21. The "awful" comment I was referring to WAS a hateful comment written by a gay person.

Posted by: Wes | Dec 18, 2009 10:23:44 AM

22. I don't feel offended by Downey's comments, and it doesn't appear to me that he intended them to be offensive. Schaffer's comment was one drop too much, but - hey - it's a comedy program and that's what happens, and not infrequently either.
    Conclusion: not worth getting upset over.

Posted by: Hunter | Dec 18, 2009 10:25:00 AM

23. Marc C, if you haven't noticed most of the commenters agree Downey's comment was not offensive, but Shaffer's was pretty assy.

I don't have a problem with the word homo at all, unless perhaps its being used in some kind of insulting manner, which it clearly wasn't in this case.

Posted by: Wes | Dec 18, 2009 10:26:13 AM

24. WES: Not at all. This wasn't about you. I was merely pointing out that some of the most homophobic rudeness comes from the so-called Gay Community.
    And now... I apologize... I don't know why I tagged you with this... I agree with your comments. Maye it's cos I'm food deprived... which will change in about 5 hours!

Posted by: JimmyDj | Dec 18, 2009 10:28:59 AM

25. who exactly is complaining about this? someone in the media?

Downey and Schaffer are not homophobes and frankly anyone who is so thin skinned that that are offended by this needs to put their BIG GIRL PANTIES on and suck it up!

Lets face it, I AM A FAG!, A HOMO! A QUEER! and proud of it! Many of US are Screamers, Queens, Limp Wristed Ladies who are Light in the Loafers! and guess what? they should be proud of who they are!

If they are offended that someone notices their feminine attributes, then they can learn to butch it up, or not as they please! But they don't get to WHINE when someone notices, when someone doesn't like to be associated with men who act like little girls.

But trying to stir up a tempest in a teapot over this? hell we have bigger issues!

Uganda is passing a bill to KILL gays!

The Democrats are shuffling our needs off until an unknown time, while sticking their hands out for OUR money to support OTHER peoples issues!

The Log Cabin Gays are supporting homophobes against gay rights!

Our medical system is in the toilet and pandering politicians are bending the country over to be raped YET AGAIN by the Insurance industy!

The same Weasel politicans are allowing the Banking, Housing, Credit and Mortgage thieves to continue to hide behind a false claim of Capitalism while giving them Corporate Welfare by the truckload.

And some biotch is whining because an actor said "homo" and a bald effeminate musician said "screamer'?

Get over yourself girly-boy, grow a pair of testicles and deal with it!

Posted by: butchfaginnola | Dec 18, 2009 10:29:27 AM