Catholic Church | News | Pope Benedict | Vatican

Leading Catholic Cardinal: Gays 'Will Never Enter Heaven'

Barragan Mexican Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan unleashed a torrent of offensive remarks about gays and trans people yesterday.

Said Barragan, the retired head of the Vatican's Council for Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers: "Transsexuals and homosexuals will never enter the kingdom of heaven and it is not me who says this, but Saint Paul. People are not born homosexual, they become homosexual, for different reasons: education issues or because they did not develop their own identity during adolescence. It may not be their fault, but acting against nature and the dignity of the human body is an insult to God. Homosexuality is therefore a sin, but this does not justify any form of discrimination. God alone has the right to judge. We on earth cannot condemn, and as human beings we all have the same rights."

Vatican spokesman Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi responded to reporters' requests for a reaction:

"First of all I would like to point out that the site, pontifex.roma.it, lacks authority and is not a good source for understanding with objectivity the church's thoughts on complex and delicate issues like evaluating homosexuality. It would be better, for example, to refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which does talk about homosexual acts as 'disordered,' but takes into account the fact that 'the number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. [Homosexuals] must be welcomed with respect and sensitivity, and 'every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided.'"

Comments

1. What heaven?

Posted by: Jason | Dec 3, 2009 10:31:11 AM

2. How many boys did he rape?

Posted by: homer | Dec 3, 2009 10:32:23 AM

3. Did the Cardinal make any comment about pedophile priests & their accomplices getting into Heaven? Just curious. What about the Bishops, Archbishops & Cardinals who hid, sheltered & covered up decades of sexual abuse in Ireland? Pass to Heaven, or not so fast? Just wondering.

Posted by: Wondering | Dec 3, 2009 10:38:48 AM

4. Gays may "not enter heaven," but they also won't enter hell, as I have a feeling Satan will be too busy down there lunching on the soulless, hateful, greedy, pedophile-enabling leaders of the Catholic church to even think twice about gays.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Dec 3, 2009 10:39:34 AM

5. Listen Asshole, Maybe your the one who didn't develop his own identity during adolescence considering you're the one who joined a cult. Now please take this magical land you call *Heaven* and shove it up your ass.

Posted by: J. Bocca | Dec 3, 2009 10:48:13 AM

6. What next?
    No Santa?

Posted by: Nonplussed | Dec 3, 2009 10:48:44 AM

7. if they think we're going to hell, fine. let them think whatever they want. just don't make it hell on earth for us too.

Posted by: rae | Dec 3, 2009 10:51:09 AM

8. can we all stop pretending that the Catholic Church is somehow deserving of any kind of respect?! It's nothing more than a hate-group.

Gays need to express to immediate friends & family that they must distance themselves from this organization asap.

If people were joining other hate groups, would we remain silent?

Posted by: stephen | Dec 3, 2009 10:52:49 AM

9. So. Does he care if I get married as long as I don't get into heaven? Cuz it sounds like it.

Posted by: JonBenet | Dec 3, 2009 10:54:32 AM

10. Remember heaven is filled with all the pedophile priests bishops and even popes you would be safer in hell. statements like this then they say everyone hates them any wonder tax the bigots

Posted by: walter | Dec 3, 2009 10:57:09 AM

11. From my Catholic school days, I know many gays who've experienced heaven and seen God. Usually in the rectory..

Posted by: JTlvr | Dec 3, 2009 11:01:05 AM

12. As a Mexican gay man and a catholic, I feel completely irritated and annoyed when supposedly wise men of my church, a Prince of the Church, use the worst choice of words possible.

To think that a man assumes he has the answers to everything that happens in the after life and can tell what my God thinks is beyond words and it saddens me.

We are living in a time and age of education, tolerance, love, and acceptance. The words of the Christ should ring louder than ever. And yet again, some people of the Catholic church affect how we are seen and thought of.

I'm so glad there are places like this one where more views can be discussed and people can come up with their own opinion based on truly educated responses and thoughts.

Peace.

Posted by: Erick Nerites | Dec 3, 2009 11:13:49 AM

13. This religion is irrelevant.

Posted by: dan | Dec 3, 2009 11:14:04 AM

14. Ok... So I'm reading that gays aren't going to heaven - I can accept that as it's a personal "thing" I have to deal with if I'm inclined to do so.

I'm also reading that gays should have the same rights as everyone else. True equality would include marriage to the ones we love - since obviously a 100% gay person can't possibly love another of opposite sex the same way as a heterosexual.

So... Reading more into it, this *leading* Cardinal supports gay marriage and all the other rights of equality we've been fighting for. Yay!

Forget hell, this is Heaven! Of course that's why the Vatican spokesman discounts the Cardinal's words. Bah... Hum... Bug... Scrooge!

Posted by: Lika Starr | Dec 3, 2009 11:24:02 AM

15. How can anyone enter something that is make-believe?

Posted by: Tweety | Dec 3, 2009 11:30:07 AM

16. Like I want to go to Catholic Heaven...please.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 3, 2009 11:30:14 AM

17. Jakey-poo's new movie is all the heaven I need! Woof!

Posted by: JeffRob | Dec 3, 2009 11:32:29 AM

18. The fact there is no god and no heaven means i dont care what this stupid old fart says.

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 3, 2009 11:45:48 AM

19. Hell sounds like much more fun. There is an open Grey Goose sponsored bar and Shrimp Cocktails for everyone !!

Posted by: ty | Dec 3, 2009 12:10:42 PM

20. Seriously... Who the Fuck cares?? Does anyone really even want to entertain the possibility of spending eternity with this person?

Demented religionists... I sure wish their rapture shit would hurry up and get here!!!

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Dec 3, 2009 12:13:33 PM

21. I am an atheist, but were I religious (superstitious) I would rather spend eternity in hell than in heaven with most of the Christians I know.

Posted by: Lars | Dec 3, 2009 12:24:20 PM

22. As a recovering Catholic who attended a truly fucked up parochial school for 8 long years and skipped Cathoclism courses in high school, you guys pretty much summed it up. Never Neverland, Alice in La La Land, Santa and the Easter Bunny are things I would compare to the farce that is the Catholic church's belief system. The only reason we have to pay attention to their nonsense (i.e. bullshit), is because they are moving towards setting policy in this country, and that's not something I'm prepared to allow happen.

Posted by: Keith | Dec 3, 2009 12:41:57 PM

23. I'm going to gay heaven where it will be FABULOUS forever. Jeebus will be coming for brunch a lot to get away from all the christians in christian heaven.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Dec 3, 2009 1:28:04 PM

24. He used saul to defend his position on gay people? It is true that christianity is paul's invention. He must hate women just as much as saul did...and a lot of other things. Paul was a raving lunatic.

I don't think that a legitimate disagreement can obtain after full disclosure between a religions person and a nonreligious person. Especially not one of the major christian demoninations, which make the most absurd claims about life after death, and choirs of angels...you either have to be actively supressing your critical thinking skills (or don't have them) or are completely batshit to subscribe. And it's not the suspension of belief that results.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 3, 2009 1:34:39 PM

25. Yeah, like anyone on earth has any authority to influence who goes to heaven or hell...or even has the foresight to know exactly what happens after we die.

Remember purgatory? One minute it's there; the next it's not.

Heaven and hell is just feared speculation by ignorant men; the statement by this mentally-ill man just enhances my hatred of organized religion due to the biased influences on "church" by prejudiced bigots.......

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Dec 3, 2009 3:33:59 PM