Mary and Joseph Sex Billboard Stirs Outrage in New Zealand

Godbillboard

A billboard challenging the notions of God and Christmas which featured Mary and a glum-looking Joseph in bed was defaced within hours of being erected in Auckland, New Zealand.

The AP reports: "Church vicar Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the billboard was intended
to challenge stereotypes about the way Jesus was conceived and get
people talking about the Christmas story. 'This billboard is trying to lampoon and ridicule the very literal
idea that God is a male and somehow this male God impregnated Mary,'
said Cardy, who described his church as having very liberal ideas about
Christianity. 'We would question the Virgin Birth in any literal sense. We would question the maleness of God in any literal sense,' he said."

Cardy added: "What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about. We
actually think God is about the power of love as shown in Jesus, which
is something quite different than a literal man up in the sky. One of the options we turned down had a sperm coming down with the words 'Joy to the World'."

Comments

1. says

Hilarious billboard, but it didn’t get me to “think more about what Christmas is all about.” It got me to wonder how big it was.

2. bading says

Suggested caption for the quashed sperm from theh sky billboard, “It’s raining sperm, hallelujah, it’s raining sperm!”

3. Dan says

St Matthews In The City is a great church, really inclusive and friendly, they even had a float in the (now defunct) Hero Parade (ie: Auckland’s Pride march).
    I’m not religious myself, but this is what organised religion should and could be.

4. drifterbob says

So cool. I love it! “God is about the power of love.” Simple, radical, dangerous idea. My God loves the fact that I love guys, because that’s Who I Really Am, which is a spark of the divine. This church sounds awesome.

5. Jem says

Really cool church, they hold gay/lesbian services (I’m a girl but not a lesbian, but I went to one once), I believe also night clubs for youths and such.

This bilboard is just up the road from my apartment, and right next to my work. I got interviewed on TV about it the day it went up when I walked past it, my response was basically “LOL!” but sadly people have been defacing it…they removed it and put up a new one exactly the same…

One of their other cool bilboards (they asked me about this in the interview but I forgot to mention it) was a rainbow themed one with animals frolicking around saying “Two of every kind” :)

6. New Jersey girl says

Ahhh Christmas. The one time a year we all gather around and celebrate the impregnation by Rape and Pedophilia of an unseen Mythical Sky Being!

Gotta Love it!

7. MikeK says

The bill board was defaced within hours of being erected. As usual evangelicals think they are the only people who have freedom of speech. They are a vile group of hypocrites.