Gay Marriage | New York | News

NY Mag Interviews State Senator Diane Savino

Savino

New York magazine's Tim Murphy interviewed NY State Senator Diane Savino, whose floor speech on Wednesday drew much praise. Here's a bit:

So, wow. A very moving and funny and sensible speech.
Well, as impressive as people may have found my floor comments, they were not persuasive. We knew going into it that this was a long shot. I felt we were counting votes that were probably not there, and unfortunately, that's what happened.

Hmmm. So it was funny because, under your speech posted online, people commented like, "Oh I didn't know there even were cool people like Diane, or even Democrats, from Staten Island." How does that sit with you?
Staten Island has a reputation as being a very conservative place, bedrock Republicanism, but the truth is, that's not been the case for quite a while now. We have an openly gay elected assemblyman, Matt Titone. The place has doubled in size the past twenty years, with more people having moved there from the other boroughs. I grew up in Queens — Astoria — and I moved there as an adult because I wanted to buy a house and couldn't afford a house in Queens. It's in an area called Fort Wadsworth.

So a lot of gays will now be calling you fierce, and that's a good thing!
So I'm told.

What's your gay cred? Do you have gay friends or family?
No gay family, but I do have gay friends, just like everybody of our generation now. I'm in my 40s.

Who's your best gay friend?
Matt Titone! We've been friends about five years. And he has a partner, Josh, and they have a wonderful relationship, together fourteen or fifteen years now. And they are married in every sense of the word but the legal one.

Are you the type who says you won't get married till your gay friends can get married, too?
No. I think the likelihood is that they'll get married before I do.

Read more of the interview at NY Mag...

Watch Savino's testimony, if you missed it here earlier, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This was a really outstanding speech! Thoughtful, intelligent and delivered magnificently.

Posted by: Anonymous | Dec 4, 2009 1:50:58 PM

2. This is one candidate my GAYTM is open for when she runs for re-election.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Dec 4, 2009 1:53:23 PM

3. hope she finds a husband or at least a best gay. Diane Savino for governor 2010? Yeah.

Posted by: cd | Dec 4, 2009 2:00:51 PM

4. Andy, great speech.

Look, I know you live in NY and all, but there is news going on elsewhere, and since this is more a national blog, could you please move it along? We're all facing this in our states in one way or another, and many other things.

Posted by: RB | Dec 4, 2009 2:10:54 PM

5. Beautiful speech! Well reasoned, funny, impassioned. This is the kind of ally we need so much more of. Too bad some of the cowardly democrats who voted "no" weren't even present and listening--that's the shameful part.

Posted by: E. | Dec 4, 2009 2:14:25 PM

6. @ RB - Blow me.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Dec 4, 2009 2:53:15 PM

7. I fucking *love* this woman!

Posted by: BradK | Dec 4, 2009 3:02:03 PM

8. @RB - that's ridiculous

New York affects us all on one level or another

coverage of news in other states has also been pretty extensive

I'm not even close to NY, but still very interested in what is going on there

Posted by: steve | Dec 4, 2009 3:27:00 PM

9. This blog lately makes it seem like NY is the only state in the nation, where was this detail in the other state votes on this issue, or other votes across the country on other topics?

POSTED BY: RB
    -----------
    Do you know how much it takes to write a blog RB? Andy does have a life you know and many like to know what is going on in the nations largest city.

Plus he must weed through hundreds of sites to feed this on.

As for Ms Savino, her speech was one of the most moving I've heard. She puts many of the no votes to shame.

Her email if anyone is interested in thanking her.

savino@senate.state.ny.us

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 4, 2009 3:56:03 PM

10. Bravo, Diane Savino! She's a hero.

If only all of her colleagues were as fair-minded and straight-talking (no pun intended) as she. This is how it's done, Sen. Addabbo and you other cowards.

And, RB, not interested in an important equality vote in NY, move it along yourself to another blog that covers stuff you care about. Simple solution. Tho I'm not sure which marriage equality votes you think Andy's neglecting?

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 4, 2009 4:29:19 PM

11. That woman is AWESOME!!!!!

Posted by: Jersey | Dec 4, 2009 7:30:31 PM

12. @ RB why don't you make your own friggin blog (sorry guys just finished watching Jersey Shore)

Posted by: Loganwu | Dec 5, 2009 5:17:03 AM

13. Great, eloquent speech. I didn't think politicians like her existed anymore. As for the NY coverage, I don't know what you're talking about RB. I am not from NY nor do I live in NY, however, this kind of coverage is exactly why I come to this website: for *gay* news.

This issue is important for gays across America and I speak for myself at the very least when I say that I am desperately praying for my gay brothers and sisters in each and every state that wrestles with this issue.

If you don't want care to read a story about NY state and gay rights, don't read it or find that additional news elsewhere. The least you can do is have some respect for Andy's direction and editorial decisions. After all, it's not like you pay for any of the great content that he thoughtfully produces each and every day (and that you consume so casually).

Posted by: bastian | Dec 5, 2009 8:36:50 AM

14. I hadn't heard of Sen. Savino before this, and I am thoroughly blown away by her brains and compassion.

Posted by: Rhea | Dec 7, 2009 9:49:29 AM