Crime | New York | News

UPDATE: Bouncers Assault Gay Man for Dancing with Another Man at Nightspot in Queens

Guadalajara

UPDATED BELOW

A gay man was assaulted by bouncers at a Mexican bar/restaurant in Queens after he got up from his seat to dance with his partner on Saturday.

The NY Post reported on Thursday:

"Tarlach MacNiallais, 47, was punched and kicked and had a chair smashed over his head in the attack by two security guards at the Guadalajara De Noche restaurant in Jackson Heights at 12:43 a.m. Saturday, police said. The attack is being treated as a possible hate crime. '[The bouncer] said, 'You can't do that here, this is not a gay bar,' MacNiallais told cops. 'I said I have just as much right as anyone else.' MacNiallais -- spokesman for the Irish Lesbian and Gay Organization, which is best known for its annual fight to march in the St. Patrick's Day Parade -- said the bouncers wrestled him to the ground and dragged him away from other dancers before they attacked him. He was treated for cuts and bruises at Elmhurst Hospital Center."

Maciallais MacNiallais gives a much more thorough account of what happened to the Irish Voice. He says he went to the bar with his partner Juan, who is Mexican and four of Juan's brothers:

"When a song that MacNiallais liked came on, he suggested to his partner that they dance. They got up, and MacNiallais led his partner to the floor. This simple act signaled to onlookers that they were probably gay...But before they had even got started, a man, described as an employee of the nightclub, came over to the couple and said: 'You can’t do that in here. This is not a gay bar.' ... 'To be quite honest I thought he was joking. I didn’t even look at him,' continued  MacNiallais. 'I turned around and said, ‘We have as much right to dance as anyone else.’' Immediately, MacNiallais was yanked from behind. He was thrown against a wall and then punched repeatedly on the face and chest. 'They knocked me to the ground. They started kicking me. They were shouting ‘this is not a gay bar’ over and over. I didn’t fight back because I’m not a violent person. But I did think I wasn’t going to let them throw me out. I did have a right to be there. If they had asked me to leave I would have, but they didn’t do that. Instead they beat me and physically dragged me to the ground.' ...According to MacNiallais, the two employees were laughing as they assaulted him. One of them stomped on MacNiallais’ head with his foot, then picked up a chair and hit him, again on the head. Two of MacNiallais’ partner’s brothers stood up and persuaded other customers not to join in the assault."

The incident was partially recorded on a cell phone. Read more about the incident HERE.

Comments

1. I'm sorry, but I gotta admit I"m a little "shocked" that a gay guy gets beaten up in the presence of his PARTNER AND FOUR BROTHERS and nobody lifts a finger??? seriously?

If your partner and family won't step in, nevermind strangers who don't know you.

we're doomed. (the "we don't want to start a melee is bs"....)

Posted by: Marty | Dec 11, 2009 12:20:13 PM

2. He didn't want to fight back because he is not a violent person? Oh my. Another gay man passively accepts a beating he didn't deserve, passively stating that he accepts homophobia underneath it all. He didn't even try to run! Worse still, the five men he was with let it happen and its not certain if they even tried calling the police. And you just know that the homophobes are going to brag about the beating they gave him and the way they he took it- like a 'pussy.'

Posted by: Gabe R L | Dec 11, 2009 12:51:41 PM

3. Hmm, after reading more about this....I think this was also racial. Why did they beat HIM and not the brother he was dancing with? This Irish guy is real dumb. If you ask me, this smells like a 'set up'. It's too dodgy and doen't add up-AT ALL.

I think the boyfriend set it up.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 11, 2009 1:03:59 PM

4. Wow ONCE AGAIN I can't believe the self hating apologists like HOLLYWOOD and other commentators here blaming the victim and his brothers here.
    READ THE ARTICLE not the POST's Murdock report...there was no indication they were drunk they just ordered their first round.
    they do have every right to be there...and I do not want to recommend messing with bouncers...a lot of times they may be armed.
    SHUT THIS PLACE DOWN and LOCK UP THE BOUNCERS.

Posted by: MCnNYC | Dec 11, 2009 1:47:16 PM

5. Sorry but if someone is kicking your head and breaking a chair over it - if you don't fight back - you could end up dead. He looks like a big guy and mexicans usually are not that big - throw some dang punches.

Posted by: Toby | Dec 11, 2009 2:56:03 PM

6. At this point, just FREAKING sue the ass of that restaurant and have it closed.

I would actually file personal lawsuit against each of those attackers, too.

Posted by: FunMe | Dec 11, 2009 3:09:09 PM

7. MCNNYC, let me break this down for you. If I am in a bar, I don't care WHO is beating up my lover, my butt is off my chair and I'm gonna fight, or at least try to break things up (I do recognize that not all fights need more punches, just a bit of distance to cool off).

No one here is blaming the vic for the assault (at least I'm not). What I do question is the continued cowardice of gay men who claim "I'm not violent" and just lay back and take a beating. That's BS. 6 on two, and the party with the gay guys does nothing? Just like the assault outside the club a few months ago where ONE bouncer beat up THREE gay men.

What is going on here?!? Learn to defend yourselves for crying out loud. Pacifism and turning the other cheek is all well and good, but there's a difference between not looking for trouble and defending yourself when it comes to you when you don't want it.

Posted by: DR | Dec 11, 2009 4:22:53 PM

8. DR, i agree with you that there seems to be a clear "pattern" in these bashing instances, and that is gay men seem unable or unwilling to defend themselves.

Let me be clear for those who think we're blaming the victim. We are not. This is a separate observation which should, in no way, be interpreted as condoning the attack.

I would have a major problem if my partner did nothing while I was being attacked. I simply couldn't look at him the same way. Here we have literally 5 men watching while their brother-in-law/friend whatever is getting his head bashed and they did nada.

On some level, the straight guys must have been in agreement that "this is not a gay bar" in order to let it happen, but even the partner did nothing?

That part is even more disturbing than the actual bashing.

What have we become as gay men?

Posted by: Davey | Dec 11, 2009 6:55:51 PM

9. BGKEV : Sometimes bashers do wind up in the hospital. But that's never reported. In fact, if someone even tried to report it, the liberal gay press doesn't even want to hear such stories, so that gays can be seen as the perpetual victims.

Posted by: JT | Dec 11, 2009 11:33:11 PM

10. jet=scum. He denies that hate crimes exist, and is always the first on the scene to blame the victim. He's likely a basher, or a self loathing closet case...in ANY case, he's one fucked up dude.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 11, 2009 11:57:15 PM

11. JT even

Posted by: TANK | Dec 11, 2009 11:57:28 PM

12. MacNiallais made the comment "I didn't fight back because...etc" That is what the know and count on, Gays NOT FIGHTING BACK. I can assure you that once we starting fighting back this shit will stop. I may lose the fight but I be damned if I go down alone. I WILL get some licks in if someone is beating me up, I am not going to lie there and take it. WAKE UP SISTERS.

Posted by: Loren M | Dec 12, 2009 7:59:57 AM

13. Are you ready to Bash Back yet?

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Dec 13, 2009 12:46:05 AM

14. What the fuck was he (a husky middle aged white dude no less!) doing in such a place, at such a time, on such a day, attempting to dance with his Mexican B.F., in Jackson Heights (!)?

And WHY didn't he fight back?! He looks like a big dude!

People have to take some responsibility for the bad situations they find themselves in. Use the fucking brain God gave you. It is a fact of life EVERYWHERE in the world that some locales are off limits for everyone be they black, white, Hispanic, Asian, male, female, gay, straight, martian, whatever....and some behavior just doesn't fly everywhere....so get your head out of your fucking ass. This is how people get killed.

Posted by: John in Boston | Dec 13, 2009 3:11:38 AM

15. In 2010 where will the LBG community be on the so-called immigration reform bill? Well, given the usual alliances on the left I suspect in lockstep support. Let's hope not.

Mexican illegals by religion, tradition and culture, (not to forget poor education) are not friends of the community. Sure there are exceptions but they are few and far between. Moreover, this Latino wave strengthens the hand of those denominations (RC and evangelical Protestant)who want their foot on your neck (and if Uganda is any example they want you dismembered and buried!) Oppose amnesty in any form for these folks.

Posted by: Contrarian | Dec 13, 2009 9:35:08 PM

16. Countdown until when the bouncers will first use the "They were practically having sex"-defense!

Posted by: Philip Wester | Dec 14, 2009 8:00:03 AM

17. Good...Gays need to keep that perverted crap in the privacy of they're homes and not promote that garbage in public..It could've been some kids around trying to eat their food..Who can eat with 2 gay dudes prancin' around with each other as if they're a man and a women?..Everyone doesn't like to be around that garbage and the bouncers were just doing they're jobs..If you allow two queers to skip around then what'll be next? A man and his sheep??

Posted by: Bucknaked | Jan 5, 2010 10:32:33 PM

18. For all non-NY'ers.
    Queens has always been homophobic.
    Having said that it's surprising how dumb this establishment is, because I can't imagine in Jackson Heights that this will turn out good for them.

Posted by: ED2 | Jan 16, 2010 3:12:15 PM