Elizabeth Hasselbeck | Gay Marriage | News | Portia de Rossi

Portia de Rossi: Civil Unions Vs Marriage on The View

Portia

Portia de Rossi discussed civil unions vs marriage on The View together.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck, typically, struggled with the concept: "Take men and women. Women want all the rights of men, but they're not asking to be called men. Do you think...is the word [marriage] more important than the rights?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Kari Emil, that's interesting about Iceland. The only weakness I see is "giving str8 people time to adjust". Are Gay people in Iceland Orange with purple stripes that others need to adjust to them? Can you tell a Gay person by looking? Where's the adjustment? Or are you really suggesting Acceptance? Laws of equality don't need time for others to adjust. Either the laws are applied equally or they are not. What it really comes down to, in Iceland or America is str8 people not wanting grant Gay people equal civil rights. It's not more complex than that.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 5, 2009 5:15:52 PM

2. This argument becomes more and more nuanced and complicated as time goes on. To clarify as a gay man; I want the right just as any other person in this country who is not gay has the right to get married. I want it called Marriage and I want it to be the exact same contract that a man and woman can have now, not something under another name, not something that confers even one less right that "straight" people now have. Until that happens anything less is just that, less. If it takes a year fine, if it takes fifty then that's what it takes. If a civil union makes you happy in the interim then fine, get one.

To think it's almost 2010 and discrimination in this country is still legal and happily tolerated is tragic and does not bode well for this world going forward. Gay marriage is not a religious argument, I would never expect, nor would I want, any religious institution involved in my marriage. I’m tired of parsing words for the sake of egomaniacal straight folks who think the only reason we are having this debate is to lessen something they have or to be fodder for those folks who feel it’s their position in life to dictate to and discriminate against other human beings.

Posted by: christopher | Dec 5, 2009 5:17:36 PM

3. I hate this issue. On the one hand I could care less about Gay Marriage. And I think all unions should be civil and if you want, go get it blessed wherever.

On the other hand, as a Black man, I can't get behind the whole separate but equal bullshit.

Having said all of that, I'm sick of seeing millions of dollars be thrown down the drain by large orgs that never seem to get anything done. Imagine how many scholarships for LGBT youths could be paid for with the "donations" hoovered up by the big LGBT "leaders". How many lawyers, judges, political activists, etc., could we already have in places where they could make a real difference if we spent our money more wisely?

I am not sure if the second class treatment or the misappropriation of our LGBT treasure is more disgusting.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 5, 2009 9:18:04 PM

4. Btw, Portia is the kind of spokesperson we should be seeing more of instead of the same old suspects.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 5, 2009 9:19:07 PM

5. So Elizabeth, if the rights and MEANING are more important than the word itself (and the commitment, and the relationship, and your particular religious sanctifications and ceremonies, etc), why do you and others of your ilk have such a problem with its use?

Posted by: TJ | Dec 5, 2009 10:04:38 PM

6. I love Portia de Rossi. I thought Hasselback's question was valid(ish) in the context set up by Joy Behar, but the response to it was what was important--and Portia handled that better than anyone else. I'm in agreement with Derek. We need to see more of her.

But moving on... Did she talk about the Arrested Development movie at all?!?!?!

Posted by: phil | Dec 6, 2009 6:37:20 PM

7. Gay people aren't asking to be called straight- they're asking for the same rights as straights.

Posted by: Baby Jane | Dec 7, 2009 9:54:33 AM

8. Ellen is fortunate

Posted by: Alex | Dec 7, 2009 11:30:16 AM

9. When a wedding is performed by a justice of the peace and not a priest its a civil service (anyone remember that term?). That makes it a civl right.

The same ceremony performed by a priest isn't legal without the licence you'd get from a justice of the peace who bestows your civil right to get married.

I think it's funny that "marriage" depends upon a civil service (or licence) and they call our weddings "civil unions" doesn't that make our weddings a little more official?

Posted by: Erik | Dec 7, 2009 12:57:22 PM

10. I don't watch the show, so I don't have any advanced biases for or against its hosts, but it's pretty clear that it is Joy who asks the question and Elisabeth just tries to sort of clarify Joy's question through an analogy. It may not have been a great analogy, but why are people jumping all over her for the separate/equal scenario, when that was all Joy?

Posted by: blah | Dec 11, 2009 10:07:19 AM

11. as a gay man, I don't care what they call it. they can call it a freaking Quizzlewat if they wish. cause the name isn't the issue. it's the definition that matters. if the churches don't want to allow us to stand before God, fine. God doesn't decide if my partner can inherit from me, get health insurance through me from my employer, file taxes with me, own a house with me, adopt kids with me etc.
    let Marriage remain this church blessed man and woman BS if you like. but give me equal right under the law. I'll sort out things with God when the time comes.

Posted by: lucas | Dec 11, 2009 9:35:32 PM