Film | Robert Downey Jr.

BigGayDeal.com

Studio Execs Angry Robert Downey Jr. is Talking Up Gay Sherlock?

Sherlock

Studio execs are reported to be upset that Robert Downey Jr. won't shut up about what "homos" Sherlock Holmes and Watson are in the new Guy Ritchie flick.

Popeater reports: "Publicists for the upcoming 'Sherlock Holmes' movie are very concerned that its star, Robert Downey Jr., can't stop hinting that the great dapper detective's relationship with Dr. Watson may involve more than just solving crime. 'When Robert joked with Letterman that they might be homos, Warner Brother executives died,' laughed one industry insider who believes Downey is messing with studio bigwigs. 'The studio wants to position this as an action-packed adventure, not 'Brokeback Mountain 2,'' my insider joked."

Downey Jr. recently appeared on Letterman and had a chat with Dave and Paul Schaffer about the fact that the detective duo could be perceived as "homos" or "screamers" by the audience.

More here...

Comments

1. Just saw it. Was disappointed that it's a dull, derivative action pic complete with rip-offs of every similar movie ever made. Also, it's oppressively dark and dour. The "gay" element is vastly oversold—it's not that they seem gay, it's just simple jealously that their buddy bond is being broken up by Watson's engagement. No chemistry between the boys or Watson's girl. Just really wasn't fun or charming.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Dec 22, 2009 4:05:10 PM

2. While the attitude would not surprise me, I wish there was a little more than yet another insider for the story. There are too many tales concocted by low-levels and not enough journalists doing the barest minimum work to confirm their sources.

Posted by: Zach | Dec 22, 2009 4:06:45 PM

3. Hetero-centric Hollywood strikes again.

Posted by: BrandonD | Dec 22, 2009 4:13:01 PM

4. The studio "exec's" really need to get over it. I mean really, the story's/Duo have been perceived this way from the beginning. How many other 30+ men live together back in that time period??? If they think otherwise, they need to get outside the office more.

Letterman thing... Robert was fine, he could have used the "F" word, or something else, but I think he is bigger than that. Now that idiot yelling "screamers", needs to have a long time out without pay.

Bottom line - get over it, if you were that concerned about that "element" in the movie, then it 1 - should not been made, or 2 - written differently.

Posted by: Hawk | Dec 22, 2009 5:03:33 PM

5. I agree with you, Matthew. It might have been fun had they been gay. But that would require a director. Not a pomo hack like the ex Mr. Madonna.

The studio head's reaction shows just how homophobic Hollywood is these days. Colin Firth may as well stay home, casue while they'll probably give him the nomination, the award's goign to Jeff Bridges for that tired retread of Clint Eastwood's (far superior) "Honkytonk Man."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 22, 2009 5:05:49 PM

6. Please call Netflix and rent Billy Wilder's marvelous "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes," which begins with a very funny joke about the gay overtones in the Holmes-Watson relationship.

Posted by: Rick S | Dec 22, 2009 5:53:56 PM

7. Wilder did the gay Holmes first- Ritchie is a hack and the movie looks like an over produced action spectacle- Holmes is not Indiana Jones.

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 22, 2009 5:58:03 PM

8. I'll second the endorsement of Billy Wilder's marvelous THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES. It's a brilliant and sadly neglected film. Holmes and Watson's visit to the (very gay) Russian ballet is one of the most brilliant comic set-pieces Wilder ever directed--in a career filled with them.

Posted by: jomicur | Dec 22, 2009 6:08:04 PM

9. People, this is a Hollywood publicity thing, designed to get us all talking about the movie and then make us go see it. Downey wouldn't be out there biting the hand that feeds him. This is all part of the film's promotion and it is working.

Posted by: don | Dec 22, 2009 6:15:51 PM

10. my worry about this is that it won't be sherlock holme but instead it'll be "schlock" holmes.

Posted by: alguien | Dec 22, 2009 6:19:37 PM

11. Didn't people think RDJ comments on Letterman were just his way of discretely hinting that he was gay or bisexual? I sometimes use the phrase 'homo', but I feel entitled. I mean, when he said that the fiancé could just be a beard, I thought 'straight people don't use that term'.

And I have to say, I was quite surprised when I found out Paul Shaffer was straight (long ago). Perhaps those hip musicians feel entitled too. I mean, would Kathy Griffin upset you if she mentioned the 'homos'.

Posted by: PearlsBeforeSwine | Dec 22, 2009 6:26:57 PM

12. The character of Sherlock Holmes was an IV drug user and at best disinterested in women. There's no way Hollywood would ever make a film about THAT guy. So they just invented someone else.

Posted by: Yeek | Dec 22, 2009 7:43:08 PM

13. "The character of Sherlock Holmes was an IV drug user and at best disinterested in women. There's no way Hollywood would ever make a film about THAT guy. So they just invented someone else."

Rent the 1970 Wilder film. It IS a Hollywood movie and it does address those very issues.

Posted by: Rick S | Dec 22, 2009 10:03:35 PM

14. Has Guy Richie even done anything of note other than marry Madonna? Aren't most his movies panned?

Paul Schaffer may be a talented musician, but once he opens his mouth on the show, he suddenly becomes an idiot. He was the main reason I didn't watch Letterman. He interrupts as though he is the center of attention. I watch Letterman now only because I just can't stomach Conan (don't think he is funny and after every joke he has to say 'yeah').

Posted by: CB | Dec 23, 2009 1:42:52 AM

15. Whenever there's as much advertising for a movie as this one has, I assume it's a stinker.

And, speaking of stinking, a Sherlocke who fails to bathe properly? Pfffffff....

Posted by: BobN | Dec 23, 2009 5:10:57 AM

16. We took in a preview of the movie last night and I loved it! It was gritty as any Guy Ritchie movie, yet true to the period of Victorian England. Yes, there is a DEEP gay undertone between Holmes and Watson; unmistakable and undeniable.

Granted the story took the good first half of the movie to get rolling, but once it did, it took off. I can't wait to see it again.

Posted by: Rad | Dec 23, 2009 7:06:04 AM

17. Nice to see all the pops Billy Wilder's getting.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 23, 2009 8:23:57 AM

18. Guy Richie is a homophobe and I would presume to guess that Downey is doing this to get under his skin, more than the studio execs.

Posted by: David | Dec 23, 2009 8:22:43 PM

19. I have to wonder how many of these "studio execs" actually watched the Letterman interview (or bloggers, present company excluded.)
    The whole conversation about sexuality lasted about ten seconds.
    David: "So there have been rumors that Holmes and Watson were uhm... well.. they... uh...blaaaaaaah" (fumbling because he clearly doesn't want to say the word "gay" and upset the midwest)
    RDJ: "Homos?"
    Schaffer:"Screamers!"
    everyone: (uncomfortable chuckling and annoyed glares at a certain musician)
    RDJ: "Eh, watch the movie."

Seriously. that's it. Not really worth all the fuss being made.

Aaaaand now I have an overwhelming urge to watch RockNRolla again and fawn over my favorite gay character ever, Handsome Bob.

Posted by: Jimmy Fury | Dec 24, 2009 2:29:57 AM

20. Just watched it today. I don't know what all the bad comments are for, I thought it was one of the better action movies I've seen in a while. Had a great time watching it.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 27, 2009 3:27:28 AM