Jamie Oliver | News | Village People

Village People Threaten 'Naked Chef' Jamie Oliver

Oliver

'Naked Chef' Jamie Oliver has been threatened with a lawsuit by the Village People for impersonating them in a promo for his upcoming show Jamie's American Road Trip.

Watch the promo, AFTER THE JUMP...

Jamies-American-Road-Trip-001

Comments

1. UhOh, I think I am next in line to be sued for using the Village People in this video. However, they might have leniency on me since its a video that supports Gay Marriage.

Posted by: Knock "Em Alive | Dec 28, 2009 10:37:05 AM

2. The Village People need to cool off. It was a fun ad.

Posted by: KFLO | Dec 28, 2009 10:41:29 AM

3. That was a great homoage and the Village People need to calm down, take a breath and get back to their crossword puzzles.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 28, 2009 10:44:27 AM

4. Well they do have a financial right to their image I guess --- he is trying to make money and using them to do so.

So share the take.

Posted by: Walter | Dec 28, 2009 11:04:22 AM

5. I think "The Village People" should be honored....Jamie is adorable..and the publicity couldn't hurt.....

Posted by: John Normile | Dec 28, 2009 11:14:39 AM

6. I think the Village People should be very grateful and thanking him. At least he's reminding the public that they still exist. That can lead to sales on iTunes or Amazon. It's free publicity.

Posted by: Lee | Dec 28, 2009 11:14:49 AM

7. If they used their licensed image, music and intellectual property without paying for it, then they stole it.

The Village People shouldn't be grateful or honored for that, they should be asking for remibursement, which they are.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Dec 28, 2009 11:29:46 AM

8. The village people are lame....BE HAPPY someone remembers you.

Posted by: Bosie | Dec 28, 2009 11:58:55 AM

9. Well, the Village People used all that imagery from Tom of Finland and many other gay artists in the first place...did they payed royalties to them?

Posted by: Felix | Dec 28, 2009 12:08:15 PM

10. I agree. He should have obtained permission first and offered to pay a royalty for the use of the VP image. You play one silly song by Taylor Swift in a gay bar and she comes down an sues you for copyright infringement. The VP have the same right and should exercise it too.

Posted by: The OS2Guy | Dec 28, 2009 12:25:31 PM

11. Perhaps the Village People would be wise to work with Jamie Oliver - they may benefit by riding his shirt tails... I think the promo is great and VP should be honored by Jamie Oliver's funny reenactment.

Posted by: Fred | Dec 28, 2009 12:33:41 PM

12. well...I thought it was cute. I have to agree with other posters here that it does pay homage to them and it does not disparge them...plus, it keeps them relevant.

Posted by: Paul | Dec 28, 2009 12:37:06 PM

13. I thought it was cute, but the only snag is they actually mention the Village People by name. Had they not done that, I dont think it would have been a copywrite issue.

Posted by: Geoff | Dec 28, 2009 12:58:04 PM

14. The lawsuit is not about copyright, but about trademark. Presumably, the producers of the commercial paid for the use of the song, but The Village People are suing for the use of their trademark of the different characters as a group depicted in the ad. Jamie Oliver, however, is doing a PARODY of the Village People, both as an example of what the Brits perceive as American values and culture, as well as a self parody of Jamie Oliver himself. Chances are this will be seen as Fair Use for what it is, a parody, which is protected under the right of Free Speech.

Posted by: Ruddigore | Dec 28, 2009 1:54:28 PM

15. Jamie Oliver is sexy.

Posted by: Pedigru | Dec 28, 2009 2:14:13 PM

16. Hey, that was funny. But, I guess I won't be putting any of the video that I shot of The Village People performances on YouTube! Sue me, sue me...whatta ya do me?!

^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | Dec 28, 2009 4:05:15 PM

17. Good for the Village People. Jamie Oliver's lisp drives me nuts, he should be sued. ;)

Posted by: DirectProf | Dec 28, 2009 4:56:51 PM

18. I'm just wondering if that was really jaime's ass in the backside scene...lol.

Posted by: CD | Dec 28, 2009 7:05:49 PM

19. Is that cellulite I see? Let's hope the first episode is low fat.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 29, 2009 1:43:27 AM

20. The Village People should just be happy that anyone still remembers who the hell they were.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 29, 2009 10:52:45 AM

21. What's next? Construction workers, sailors, Indians, and Cowboys sue the Village People?

Posted by: Jimmy/Boston | Dec 29, 2009 7:14:05 PM

22. @Ruddigore

The parody angle of the infringement of the Village People's intelectual property and trademark is not applicable in this argument becasue:

1) The parody is being used for commercial purposes and monetary gain.

2) Parody use is not a broad get out jail free card for copyright infringement.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Dec 30, 2009 12:29:06 AM

23. sure it keeps them relevant... but, yeah he should get sued. it's bad manners to take without asking... even if you do wear assless chaps.

Posted by: Drew | Jan 2, 2010 6:16:52 PM