Australia | Nature | News

Watch: Australian Man Pets Tiger Sharks During Feeding Frenzy

Sharks

A conservationist in Australia claims he has proven that tiger sharks are really docile creatures and not man-hungry predators because he sat on a whale carcass and petted the sharks while they devoured it.

Said Leon Deschamps: "Tiger sharks are not aggressive and I thought the most effective way to demonstrate that would be by throwing ourselves into the middle of a feeding frenzy. They were so sedate in their movements and were far from aggressive despite it being a time when they are supposed to be at their most ferocious. I think they enjoyed the experience."

I think Deschamps is just one missing forearm away from a more cautionary theory.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. People have seen too much of Jaws. We've scuba dived (deliberately) with black tips, white tips, lemons, nurse, hammerheads, tigers; you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Posted by: Butch | Dec 7, 2009 11:56:10 AM

2. I've dived in a feeding frenzy of nurse sharks. The only complication was one overexcited shark knocked the mask off of one member of the dive party, but dealing with that is part of the basic training for becoming a scuba diver.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 7, 2009 12:12:38 PM

3. Tough, fearless homos....I love it.

Well, I'll just have to remain a pussy...cat because there aint no way I'm going anywhere near a damn shark--not even at the Camden Aquarium. Although I have been in the middle of a feeding frenzy of queens when some rough muscle boy came in the bar.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 7, 2009 12:25:41 PM

4. LOL@Derrick!

Gurrrl, how did you ever make it out ALIVE??!!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Dec 7, 2009 12:51:02 PM

5. It isn't that sharks are really ferocious animals...it is that they have lots and lots of really really sharp teeth and when they mistake a human for food, sometimes an arm comes off in the process. I'm with Derrick on this, I'm not running the risk of a nice little sharkey mistaking me for a seal (not that that would happen since I'm so svelte) and ripping a leg off.

Posted by: Bizzle | Dec 7, 2009 1:10:49 PM

6. Derrick all you had to do is say Project Runway was filming outside, problem solved.

Perhaps the Shark Wisperer should read about or rent, Grizzly Man, about the life and violent death of Timothy Treadwell, a controversial wildlife activist who spent 13 summers living among bears in the Alaskan wilderness.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 7, 2009 1:14:59 PM

7. Hm. If he's so sure about their docility, why isn't he in the water with them? He doesn't even have to be near the whale carcas, he could be 20ft away. No amount of arguement will ever get me near tiger sharks in the wild. Kudos to those who dive with sharks, whatever kind.

Posted by: Frozen North | Dec 7, 2009 2:27:21 PM

8. Seems a bit oxymoronic to me, calling oneself a "conservationist" while simultaneously glorifying a personal moment on video with a wild animal, in the animal's habitat.

I also love how the intro bar is titled "JOSH WALL REPORTS The taming of wild WA tiger sharks"

Really? How so?

Twats.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Dec 7, 2009 3:46:37 PM

9. Are you crazy? Those sharks aren't docile. The only reason they aren't biting the researchers is because there is a larger carcass already in their mouths. Anyone who thinks that sharks who are one of the longest living and unchanged species throughout evolution have done so because of their "softer side" is an idiot and needs to be completely rejected as a researcher. This is like saying that people on death row are peaceful because they couldn't reach you from behind the bars. Gimme a break.

Posted by: Trevor | Dec 7, 2009 3:58:23 PM

10. I'm sorry but this proves nothing other than sharks have their minds on one thing, eating...you can pet them all you want but this doesn't mean they wont mistake your shit for nice juicy floating steak once that carcass is gone. It's like me, you could pet me on the head all you want while I'm eating nacho's because I don't see, hear or feel you, I just see those nacho's. I dove with black tips in Fiji and yes we kept our distance but that didn't help get that damn theme song from JAWS out of my head while I sat on the bottom of the ocean poo-ing my wet-suit.

Posted by: john | Dec 7, 2009 4:33:49 PM

11. My advice: never pet lawyers! Stay at least 20 feet away.

Posted by: anon | Dec 7, 2009 5:13:47 PM

12. I think, in terms of giving sharks a better name, this video is really cool to watch, but whether or not I would encourage people to approach them and pet them, well that's probably not a smart idea. Conservation efforts of course sometimes necessitate the re-imaging of an animal in the collective imagination.

Posted by: Jesus | Dec 7, 2009 11:25:46 PM