AIDS/HIV | New York | News

World AIDS Day: Light for Rights

Lightforrights

New Yorkers, if you're looking for something to do today marking World AIDS Day, there will be a ceremony at 6 pm at Washington Square Park. Check THIS link, or the one at the top of our site for events in other cities.

I'll be updating this post throughout the day with items related to World AIDS Day.

Road

Whribbon Two-story AIDS ribbon adorns the White House. It will remain in place for two days.

Road

Obama releases proclamation.

Road

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton delivers remarks on HIV/AIDS, denouncing international homophobia which hinders AIDS relief.

Road

Beijing World AIDS Day event crashed by activists angry over tainted blood transfusions. Gay bar in Yunnan Province that was to serve HIV prevention is delayed.

Road

San Francisco's Bay Area Reporter to post every obituary that has appeared in the paper since 1980 in an online archive, starting today.

Road

Bid 2 Beat AIDS - the annual massive celebrity item auction on eBay to benefit LIFEBeat. the Music Industry Fights AIDS, begins today. More information HERE.

Comments

1. This day kind of pisses me off. I have been positive for 10 years and I have struggled with insurance and counseling and not one service has helped me. I've tried to get a caseworker to no avail. I've tried to get pharma assistance and nothing has ever come of it. I'm lucky that my health has improved and I no longer need the help. The help that seems to not really be offered. I wouldn't post this on a site but since it is WAD can someone please point me to a program that can help me with my meds. Perhaps cut down on the staggering cost? ... Anyone?

Posted by: Gavin Elster | Dec 1, 2009 12:05:09 PM

2. if you are in palm springs there is an event from 5-8PM at LOOK. bring a bag or three of non-perishable foods to help re-stock the pantry at the Desert AIDS Project. no host bar and free appetizers. this is a fun annual event organized by AA Flight Attendants.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Dec 1, 2009 12:06:13 PM

3. Gavin, if you are in NYC, contact the LGBT Center on 13th street, they are great at helping you find assistance through their 'Center Care' program (ask for Andres Hoyes or Ryan Green) call them at 212-620-7310, and GMHC is also great at this, and have people that should be able to help at 1-800-243-7692.

Good luck with that, I am so sorry to hear that you have run into problems getting help, that really sucks!

Posted by: CKNJ | Dec 1, 2009 4:21:45 PM

4. I had no idea this was today. I'm a woman with a straight boyfriend of 6 years & we just found out he was positive a few weeks ago. He's never had any type of sexual encounters with other men & he's never shared needles. It just goes to show that HIV isn't the "gay disease" that everyone thinks it is. Anyway, I read this site a lot because it's linked to Dlisted, & because I like to look at hot men, so that's why I'm here. And Gavin, I'm sorry to hear that your having so much trouble. We worry about things like that down the road. And there aren't a lot resources here in South Central Kentucky where we are. Neither is tolerance, for that matter. I get so tired of going to message boards & forums that discuss AIDS funding only to have people get on there & say that people who have HIV basically deserve it because of their irresponsible behavior, & all that money should be spent elsewhere. I could go on all day about everything that's wrong with that type of view, but I really don't have the energy right now. All I can say is that I think they'd feel differently if it happened to someone they love or worse, themselves.

Posted by: Anonymous | Dec 1, 2009 7:16:27 PM

5. LET'S CELEBRATE! NOBODY GET AIDS!

Posted by: TANK | Dec 1, 2009 7:22:27 PM

6. CKNJ Thank you. I'm actually in los angeles. I appreciate the info perhaps I need to move.

Posted by: Gavin Elster | Dec 1, 2009 7:28:48 PM

7. Hey Gavin, try the LGBT Center in LA, I don't know if you have yet, but I know our Center here in NYC has GREAT programs and they might just have similar programs there.

It saddens me that it's so difficult to get fundamental assistance with meds etc... the pharma companies are complicit in the horrific costs... no way can it actually cost to produce the drugs what they charge. It's outrageous! And the fact that it's so hard to get assistance from virtually anyone, State included, is really dismaying!

Posted by: CKNJ | Dec 2, 2009 7:03:04 PM