Joy Behar | News

Joy Behar: Gays Take Monogamy Less Seriously Than Straights

Behar

Folks are talking about a recent episode of The View in which Joy Behar basically says that gays take monogamy less seriously than straights, and an act of infidelity is less likely to lead to the break-up of a relationship.

Writes Jeremy Hooper at Good as You: "It's astounding that anyone, especially a progressive from New York City's media world, would still have such an uninformed opinion about gay relationships as a whole. Regardless of one's personal views on monogamy, it's downright weird to hear gay couples put in this "other" category that is monolithically one thing. Especially in a world where one can't shake a Tiger without hitting ten straight Jon & Kates!"

Dan Savage, whose conversation with Behar on HLN led to the remarks, says Joy's right: "Gay male couples generally don't view monogamy as the defining characteristic of a loving, committed relationship. Studies of male couples in long-term relationships have found that most gay male couples do allow for some "outside sexual contact," as they say, contacts that I wouldn't characterize as "affairs" or "cheating." If there are no lies, if there is no betrayal, if neither partner is doing anything that violates the commitment he made to the other, then no one cheated and no one was cheated on. Which is not to say that there aren't monogamous gay couples out there."

There are more facets to the argument than that, so watch the whole segment. What do you think?

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Of course Dan Savage would side with Ms. Behar. He's a slut.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 28, 2010 11:26:56 AM

2. Married people take monogamy more seriously than couples who live together. Gay or straight.

Posted by: Clif | Jan 28, 2010 1:08:39 PM

3. Although I've heard what she says before from other gay guys, it's not the case for me. Some might call me naive, but I'm totally pro-monogamy for me, because otherwise it just hurts too much. I do think this differs among different guys, and for my own well-being, I hope there are some gay guys out there who want to stay true to one guy, otherwise I'm just hopeless!

Posted by: X | Jan 29, 2010 5:44:06 PM

4. Jeremy Hooper's reference to Tiger and Jon&Kate's marriages does nothing to disprove Joy Behar's statemement. These hetero marriages BROKE UP, with adultery as a major reason.

Posted by: KSat | Dec 15, 2011 5:28:07 PM

5. I don't think men in general are able to be monogamous. I am one of those rare gay men who will only be in a relationship if it's monogamous, HOWEVER, if after a few years the sex dwindles, I wouldn't mind so bad if my bf had no strings attached safe sex with someone else. I would just feel too much pity for the horny, brainless guy who is a life support system for a penis. That's how men are, period. I, on the other hand am superior to most men because I don't have urges to step outside the relationship, ever, because I LOVE, TRUST AND RESPRECT MYSELF and I have a great attention span and enough other things going on in my life to keep me occupied. When ANYONE has to have sex with multiple partners, this is called sex addiction. It's an illness that a lot of men, straight and gay have. I do not suffer from this addiction. Poor, sweet dumb men... I think they really do try. :(

Posted by: CHUD | Sep 6, 2012 4:16:01 AM

6. I'm gay. Joy is right.

Posted by: Kip | Dec 30, 2013 2:36:23 AM