Man Attacked on Chicago ‘L’, Said He Was HIV-Positive to Escape

A gay man was "badly beaten" by men who called him "stupid faggot" early Sunday on the Chicago "L" train, according to the Sun Times, after he tried to help a stranger they had targeted.

The Chicago Tribune adds: Hauff "Daniel Hauff, 33, said he tried to quell a dispute between two men on the train when one of them, joined by two other riders, began yelling gay slurs and other taunts at him.

Hauff said he pressed the emergency intercom, and the conductor came. But the conductor soon left, Hauff said, and the train started moving again.

Hauff said the men beat him while the train was between the Wilson and Argyle stops. 'And I never once threw a punch,' Hauff said. 'It's just not in my nature.' Hauff said he got away by wiping some of his blood on the attackers and telling them he was HIV-positive, which was not true.

Police said three men were arrested in the 1100 block of West Argyle Street for misdemeanor battery and 'making disparaging comments,' though the report had nothing specific about anti-gay comments. Police said the suspects were released Sunday on bail.

Hauff said he was released from a hospital around 6 a.m. He said his face, chest, back, knee and foot were in pain, but nothing was broken."

A witness reportedly photographed the beating on his phone. Hauff faults the conductor for leaving the scene too quickly.

Comments

1. says

This is horrible news.

@CAJIVA: What would fighting back against multiple attackers have accomplished besides making them more angry and escalate the fight? Maybe if you’re ever, sadly, a victim of a hate crime you can act differently.

2. J. Bocca says

KFLO, What the hell do you mean, “what would fighting back accomplish” well for starters it would accomplish PROTECTING YOURSELF! Jees. I can’t understand this mentality to just lay there and let someone hurt u. ridiculous.

3. says

I’ve only been in one fight ever . . . when I was 14 and it just so adolescent and stupid I don’t even know if it counts.

I wouldn’t even know how to begin to throw a punch, although given my fiery nature, if I had to I probably will . . . however, having been in a similar situation (my ex and I were attacked on a NYC subway train a few years ago), I learned that you can’t predict your flight or fight response. My initial response was to grab my boyfriend and get us to safety (which I managed to do). It felt like 1 sec. had passed. It wasn’t till the cops started chasing the kids who attacked us, did I even realize how scary it all was and began to have a massive panic attack.

A good friend of mine was recently gay bashed here in NYC and he fought back. He was attacked by a couple guys and he defended himself (and my friend is an inch or two taller than me). He got beat up pretty bad, but he scared the guys off. My one fear however, is that the attackers would have weapons and confronting them may escalate things to the point where they’d bring our a knife or a gun.

4. REAL says

Is refusing to fight back a gay thing? I think not!

I think a few guys need to start toughing up because a majority of us are sick of some of the stories regarding guys that simply just whimp out and take a good beating.

Maybe a few of our lesbian sisters need to teach a class on self defence.

When attacked, YOU DEFEND YOURSELF!

5. prisle2010 says

Yes, those are rough stops on the red line.

I don’t know if I would throw a punch if I could defend myself othwise b/c if I did I may not be able to sue the lazy CTA.

6. patrick nyc says

Unless you are in a situation like this you never know how you will react. My friends are often pissed at me for not only standing up to my fights, but defending others.

First time I was coming home late from work on the LIRR, Long Island Rail Road for you out of town folk, when I heard a woman scream. It was around 9, but a cold Feb winter night with no one around. As I got closer I saw a man drag a woman to the side of a parked car and begin to tear off her clothing.

I did not recall thinking anything but went into action, maybe from watching too much TV, I crept up and put my hands in ‘cop with gun’ position and yelled as loud as I could. “Freeze! Police!”

He ran as fast as he could, I ran up to her and she was in shock, “Thank you officer” I told her that I was not a cop, that we had to get her out of here, incase he came back. We walked up to the first house, and got her into safety. I got shit from my parents later.

Second time a few years later I was living in the city when walking home with a friend I heard a call for help. Two guys were beating and kicking a guy on the ground in the village. I told my friend to call the cops as I ran to them, as she screamed at me to stop. They ran off when I yelled as I approached. He was happy, my friend gave me shit. I know, I could have been killed I told her, but what if I was the guy getting the beating?

The third was when I was a big brother to three kids in Harlem. On my way up on a Saturday afternoon on the subway, three punks came into a car, with just me and an old man reading his paper. One sized up the scene, while the other two knocked the paper out of his hands and taunted him.

Dressed in jeans and a leather jacket, plus being the only white boy on the train, I did my best of what I thought was my advantage. I was reading the Times, I folded the paper, smacked it against my leg loud enough so they turned.

I said “Shit. On my fucking day off I have to now fill out paper work”. That said, I reached for my wallet, as if taking out a badge, and into my jacket for a gun. The train pulled into the station, they ran out and the doors closed. The old man said “Thank you officer”, bringing back earlier memories. I walked him off his stop the next station and once again my family and friends gave me shit.

There comes a time we stand up for our selves, but if we do not, it is not a victims fault if they do not. Some of us are given gifts, like the men and women who defend us in the service. Hauff is lucky he is alive, playing on the idiots HIV fear was a smart move. When fighting hate, you use what you have to.

7. fred says

I would never take that train after dark. Take cabs if you must go to wild pug or crew. …and if you bought in uptown you are screwed. It is only going to get worse in this economy.

There are so many social service outlets (attending to mentally ill and drug addicts) and public housing units (providing housing to the disenfranchised and the pissed off) in uptown – and the police just can’t cover the area 24/7.

This is far and away the most dangerous neighborhood on the north-side. That new Target is going to be a hotbed of petty crime.

If you must go through that neighborhood keep your head down and shut up. That conductor knew enough not to F with those guys.

8. Eric26 says

Although it obviously depends on the situation, like I guess if you were being attacked by three people half your size then you might have 100% confidence in fighting back effectively. But if my friend was being attacked by a bunch of guys and foolishly stood his ground I would be VERY angry, because you never know what could happen. My primary concern is my friend staying ALIVE. Few people, gay or straight, are action heroes. If someone has a knife and plunges it in your stomach it could easily be game over. Please think about your friends and family before you decide to be a hero. I also don’t like how several comments are basically implying that this guy is a coward or something. It makes me sick.

9. Ian says

Jeez,

Enough with the victim blaming. It doesn’t matter where you are, in a nice suburb or a poor neighborhood, someone can hurt you if he or she wants.

Lawrence King was in his classroom. Did he expect to be gunned down by a classmate?

If someone isn’t going to hit back, that’s his or her business.

Also, be careful about pretending to be a cop because that can get you into all kinds of trouble with the law.

10. patrick nyc says

POSTED BY: IAN
    ———
    If it comes to me keeping my ass alive, or protecting those around me, arrest me and let’s see what happens at a trial.

11. Mike says

Maybe *some* will think twice before tageting us if more fight back. Fear of escalating the fight? Bull! One hit to the head can kill you, especially if you fall. FIGHT BACK!

12. Derrick from Philly says

PATRICK NYC,

you’re a quick thinker! or as Vivien Leigh said to Olivia DeHaviland 70 years ago, “what a cool lie you are, Mellie.” (I mean that as a compliment)

13. TANK says

Yeah, the victim blaming is too much. And we can’t know how we’d react until we’re in such a situation. I don’t know how I’d react, but I do have a slight “disorder” when it comes to rage, and in such a situation…it may very well get me killed. But at that point, I really don’t care, because it’s far too late to stop someone from getting seriously hurt. So perhaps this was the right course of action that saved his life. Anyway, the conductor isn’t a law enforcement agent, and even then, you can’t count on them to help you, either. And guns usually just make a potentially deadly situation deadlier, and do increase the likelihood of the gun carrier’s death. But I loves mah gun.

14. Lexxvs says

Patrick I congratulate you. You are brave and the world would be a safer place to live if more of us were as you. But that’s easy to say from the distance. If I were your relative or close friend, I would certainly give you shit. A lot. You see? That’s why husbands and parents tend to be more careful with what they do.
    I don’t think you could get into trouble with the law for faking being a cop on those specific situations –although I don’t know your country’s legislation- BUT you could also risk taking a bullet –I mean, you don’t have a gun I guess, and an ex convict could react without thinking having little to lose- it’s not a game. I know you took chances just with punks, but nevertheless.
    You should apply to be a real cop.

15. patrick nyc says

LEXVS

I did want to be a cop, my Uncle was, as was my best friends Dad, my friend became one later on. But being an out gay man, as I was in the early 80’s, in NYC, that was not an option.

You have to play the hand you are given, and I do not for a moment regret taking the actions I did to help stop others from being hurt. Remember, it was people like me who stopped the assholes from blowing up planes recently.

You never know how or what will happen in times like this. Three men tackled Colin Furgeson when he was reloading his gun, after he shot my brother 5 times, and killed and wounded dozens. Had they not jumped up my brother could be dead today. So I do believe we can make a difference, just as I do believe that Hauff did when these asshole attacked him.

It’s amazing the strength we have when we reach for it, the important thing is not to be afraid, shit is going to happen no matter what we do, it’s how we face it that makes us the people we are.

16. Lexxvs says

Patrick you are right. I guess those moments exacerbate what you are. Some will run. Some will freeze. And some will act. I guess I would be the last one faced with the circumstance –I’ve never been the chicken one- but to be fair, I doubt I could have the precious clarity of mind to take a clever decision as adrenaline is right for the muscles but bad for the brain. At least in your country thugs still fear the cops, lol.

17. Gabe R L says

Victim blaming is wrong, but it is still frustrating that so many gay guys simply take the beating, as if they deserve it for being gay. I dread such a situation, and don’t know what I would do if it happened, but I do know that I wouldn’t just lay there and take the beating. The very least I could do was yell for help or try to run.

18. says

I highly doubt people take the beating because they deserve it for being gay.

If a gang of guys started beating up on me it may be hard for me to do anything but take the beating as I’d be outnumbered. It really depends on the situation and most probably overpowered.

It’s very hard to make blanket statements like that.

19. DR says

*sigh*

more of the same. i think folks need to start taking self-defense classes. i’d rather end up with stitches and a busted up face knowing i fought back than end up with the same injuries because “it’s not in my nature to throw a punch”. it’s not in my nature to walk around assaulting people, but there is a world of difference between defending yourself and starting a fight with a random stranger. learn it.

20. Kyle says

Wow, i don’t believe in blaming the victim, and i think most of the above rants are missing the bigger picture. How dare anyone who is not HIV+ used this affiction to “get out” of a bad situation. Hiding behind a condition that itself has killed and handipcapped is reprehensible. Just disgusting, I’m ashamed of fellow gay Chicagoan. Maybe he should feel how he would like some of my HIV+ blood smeared on his skin.

21. TANK says

Kyle, I don’t think he’d like that. I don’t mean to speak for him, but nope. And in a situation like that, you use whatever works. That worked. Oy…you’re a crazypants.

22. patrick nyc says

KYLE

He feared for his life, while getting the shit kicked out of him. If you think this is some how a slight or disrespect for those of you who are HIV or have AIDS I’m sorry, but he was in survive mode.

When you feel that your life is going to end, you do what you have to do to survive, he did not put you or anyone else in risk, he played on their fear and AIDS/Homophobia. I say he made a smart move, it kept him alive.

My many friends who died from this horrible disease would have done the same.

23. Gabe R L says

Alex, when I made the statement about taking the beating as if they deserve it, it was intended to be metaphorical. There was no blanket statement. And I still believe its wrong just to lay down and do nothing, no matter what.

24. Wheezy says

I doubt people “lie down and take it” when they get gay bashed. I think if you’re outnumbered and out-muscled there is a limit of what you’re capable of. I’m sure they fought back…but it was inadequate under the circumstances. That being said, if I were him I don’t think I’d ride public transportation without being armed. Maybe not a gun, but with something.

25. Eric26 says

It is so sad how little most of you know about ensuring your own safety. I don’t understand how, when you’re not even IN the situation that you’re describing, you’re already being controlled by thoughts of being a righteous defender. I sincerely hope none of you are ever attacked because it would surely end tragically for you.

26. Rey says

In the jungle, in the wild – in some of the sketchier streets in our vast urban environments, one must sometimes take extraordinary measures and through all polite and loving instinct out the window in order to protect one’s self.

That this man employed the very serious and very real aspect of the human immunodeficiency virus to instill a sense of fear in his attackers hurts my stomach upon first read. But it dissipates after considering the potential life-or-death scenario the guy was in and what dirty psychological tools he might need to employ to fight back.

27. Shane says

It’s shit like this that makes me want to get a taser.

Kyle: get a life. He was in danger and it worked. You are getting indignant and ridiculous over the wrong issues.