Chicago | Crime | Gay Slurs | News

BigGayDeal.com

Man Attacked on Chicago 'L', Said He Was HIV-Positive to Escape

A gay man was "badly beaten" by men who called him "stupid faggot" early Sunday on the Chicago "L" train, according to the Sun Times, after he tried to help a stranger they had targeted.

The Chicago Tribune adds: Hauff "Daniel Hauff, 33, said he tried to quell a dispute between two men on the train when one of them, joined by two other riders, began yelling gay slurs and other taunts at him. Hauff said he pressed the emergency intercom, and the conductor came. But the conductor soon left, Hauff said, and the train started moving again. Hauff said the men beat him while the train was between the Wilson and Argyle stops. 'And I never once threw a punch,' Hauff said. 'It's just not in my nature.' Hauff said he got away by wiping some of his blood on the attackers and telling them he was HIV-positive, which was not true. Police said three men were arrested in the 1100 block of West Argyle Street for misdemeanor battery and 'making disparaging comments,' though the report had nothing specific about anti-gay comments. Police said the suspects were released Sunday on bail. Hauff said he was released from a hospital around 6 a.m. He said his face, chest, back, knee and foot were in pain, but nothing was broken."

A witness reportedly photographed the beating on his phone. Hauff faults the conductor for leaving the scene too quickly.

Comments

1. Kyle, I don't think he'd like that. I don't mean to speak for him, but nope. And in a situation like that, you use whatever works. That worked. Oy...you're a crazypants.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 11, 2010 6:19:20 PM

2. KYLE

He feared for his life, while getting the shit kicked out of him. If you think this is some how a slight or disrespect for those of you who are HIV or have AIDS I'm sorry, but he was in survive mode.

When you feel that your life is going to end, you do what you have to do to survive, he did not put you or anyone else in risk, he played on their fear and AIDS/Homophobia. I say he made a smart move, it kept him alive.

My many friends who died from this horrible disease would have done the same.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 11, 2010 6:37:01 PM

3. Alex, when I made the statement about taking the beating as if they deserve it, it was intended to be metaphorical. There was no blanket statement. And I still believe its wrong just to lay down and do nothing, no matter what.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jan 11, 2010 8:20:41 PM

4. I doubt people "lie down and take it" when they get gay bashed. I think if you're outnumbered and out-muscled there is a limit of what you're capable of. I'm sure they fought back...but it was inadequate under the circumstances. That being said, if I were him I don't think I'd ride public transportation without being armed. Maybe not a gun, but with something.

Posted by: Wheezy | Jan 11, 2010 10:15:19 PM

5. It is so sad how little most of you know about ensuring your own safety. I don't understand how, when you're not even IN the situation that you're describing, you're already being controlled by thoughts of being a righteous defender. I sincerely hope none of you are ever attacked because it would surely end tragically for you.

Posted by: Eric26 | Jan 11, 2010 10:45:05 PM

6. In the jungle, in the wild - in some of the sketchier streets in our vast urban environments, one must sometimes take extraordinary measures and through all polite and loving instinct out the window in order to protect one's self.

That this man employed the very serious and very real aspect of the human immunodeficiency virus to instill a sense of fear in his attackers hurts my stomach upon first read. But it dissipates after considering the potential life-or-death scenario the guy was in and what dirty psychological tools he might need to employ to fight back.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 11, 2010 10:55:27 PM

7. It's shit like this that makes me want to get a taser.

Kyle: get a life. He was in danger and it worked. You are getting indignant and ridiculous over the wrong issues.

Posted by: Shane | Jan 12, 2010 7:56:33 AM