"Ex-Gays" | Gay Marriage | Great Britain | News | Reality TV | Stephen Baldwin

BigGayDeal.com

Stephen Baldwin Praises 'Ex-Gays', Condemns Gay Marriage

Stephenbaldwin

Stephen Baldwin, who recently captured the attention of Brits by joining Celebrity Big Brother in the UK (along with Ivana Trump, Heidi Fleiss, and Sisqo) in order to pay off debts (reportedly over $2 million to the IRS) is still preaching against homosexuality. From a profile in The Guardian:

Stephenbaldwin But then, the day after, we speak again on the phone and I ask him what he'd do if one of his girls came out as a lesbian and the other became a stripper. "Jesus or no Jesus, if my kid started working in a strip club, I'd beat her ass," he hoots. "Now, the other question is interesting and culturally relevant. I have two or three very dear friends who are homosexual and they know I'm born again and we have an understanding that we're just not going there…"

I'm not surprised. For the next 20 minutes, we have an intense discussion – argument, really – during which Stephen reveals that he's all for gay men who, through their faith, reject their homosexuality and get married: "To turn away from that lifestyle is astonishing." Yes, Stephen, it is. And he's definitely not for gay marriage.

What about civil partnerships, I ask wearily.

"I believe that the family unit has fundamentally been the most positive thing for society and I don't believe that any minority has the right to create changes that impact on the majority. That's really the only issue for me."

Baldwin, who became a born-again Christian following 9/11, which he says was a sign from the Lord, has expressed his disapproval of same-sex marriage in the past, telling Howard Stern, "I don’t believe that gay marriage is in line with God’s Word, which is found in the Bible. So, what I think doesn’t matter; what I believe is what’s in the Bible and the Bible says that gay marriage is not acceptable."

Baldwin also told MSNBC he doesn't believe homosexuality is normal and therefore it should be kept out of the public education system.

Baldwin's eviction and a short movie uploaded recently by Boy George in which George goads Baldwin to say, "I love Boy George, and he's gay," AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Deana said: "For the person talking about tats, maybe he got those before he became a Christian. Maybe he got them after. Who cares really? That's kinda nit picky."

So... it's being 'nit picky' to point out Leviticus 19:28. But it's perfectly okay to condemn all gay people based on Leviticus 18:22. I hate to be nit picky, but you might want to stick your totally arbitrary religious beliefs up your ass, and keep them out of our legal system. Thanks, and God bless.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jan 31, 2010 12:58:57 PM

2. To paraphrase Samuel Johnson, religion is the last refuge of has-beens.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 31, 2010 1:02:31 PM

3. I do not scrape my moral values from the bottom of a toilet, nor do I get them from people like Steve Baldwin.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 31, 2010 1:11:34 PM

4. I thought Christians were supposed to follow Christ, not the old testament. And since Jesus said absolutely nothing about homosexuality I am confused why this topic is supposedly so central to Christianity?

Posted by: Fern | Jan 31, 2010 1:20:11 PM

5. Further, my reading of the Gospels shows Jesus was clearly trying to progress people beyond following the laws of Leviticus and instead follow the law of love. I wish Christians would follow Christ's teaching instead of using his name to justify their own prejudices. Jesus was pro-marriage and taught against divorce. I see this as an act of compassion for women whose survival depended on being married. I see no evidence of Jesus being against gay marriage.

Posted by: Fern | Jan 31, 2010 1:27:09 PM

6. "I have two or three very dear friends who are homosexual and they know I'm born again and we have an understanding that we're just not going there…"

Ah yes, they must truly be "dear friends" to you if their loving relationships cannot be discussed with you, ever.

Whenever a homophobe says they have "gay friends" I assume they are lying, or maybe they met a gay person once or had a gay co-worker or something. I would imagine if you walked up to those "dear gay friends" and asked them, they would be like "Stephen who?"

@Deana: Go fuck yourself you self-deluded bigot. I'm not a Christian, but even so, there are millions of Christians who disagree with you. Keep your stupid beliefs to yourself, and shove your Bible right up your stupid ass.

P.S. I love you, I just hate your Christianity. :P

Posted by: Eshto | Jan 31, 2010 1:34:31 PM

7. Gee.. before Steven talks too much about how gays are destroying the family and marriage, he should look at his own.
    We've got his brother Alec who divorced his wife and called his daughter a pig, and his brother daniel, who's had four kids by four different women.
    And Deanna, sorry, when someone keeps picking and choosing what they want to follow to justify their bigotry, I have a right to tell them to go screw themselves.

Posted by: Zach | Jan 31, 2010 1:48:18 PM

8. Deanna,

Jesus never married because he wasn't into pussy.

Posted by: Frank | Jan 31, 2010 2:22:14 PM

9. Who cares what this guy thinks?

Posted by: J.D. | Jan 31, 2010 2:32:08 PM

10. When I was a child I had an imaginary friend. I won't go into boring details, but I used to blame my imaginary friend for things I'd done. Accidentally pushing someone off of a slide...it wasn't my fault...no, it was imaginary friend's fault. When children physically mature, it seems that their imaginary friends become supernatural agents. It's not stephen's fault he's a bigoted POS...nope, it's his imaginary friend's. And the adult becomes the child once again. If only the stakes reverted back to "childhood," too.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 31, 2010 2:38:12 PM

11. The real question with regard to human rights, or rights in general is why people don't choose nicer imaginary friends. That'd be an interesting thing to pursue.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 31, 2010 2:52:05 PM

12. It's too bad he shares the good name along with Liberal Giant Alec Baldwin. These two couldn't be MORE DIFFERENT! I hate Stephen with a firey passion.

Posted by: KFLO | Jan 31, 2010 2:56:31 PM

13. Thanks, loser!

Posted by: deevee | Jan 31, 2010 3:01:40 PM

14. Well this just proves which Baldwin Brother was dropped on his head the most. Which explains why he can't get any work besides reality shows.

His best work being on 'I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here', where he became friends with those two other douche bags, Spencer and Heidi Pratt.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 31, 2010 3:15:27 PM

15. Trading one addiction for another-
    and then becoming sanctimonious about it-

you are irrelevant as is your fairy tale belief system. Do you believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny (no disrespect meant to them)-they all make equal amount of sense.

Keep using that crutch called Xtianity -

Posted by: Nick | Jan 31, 2010 3:23:23 PM

16. Is Baldwin a "graduate" of the ex-gay snake oil? LOL No wonder he praises it. He needs figure out that the Bible says nothing against same sex marriage before he looks even more foolish.

Posted by: MikeNYC | Jan 31, 2010 3:31:23 PM

17. Stephen Baldwin is a douchebag, clearly. What an ignoramus.

Posted by: X | Jan 31, 2010 3:39:10 PM

18. He's a dolt. Why would anyone care what he thinks. He's a nobody

Posted by: Name: | Jan 31, 2010 6:34:51 PM

19. The Baldwin family seems consistently unhealthy. Alec is a gifted comic actor, and I appreciate his political stances, but I'll probably never get over (nor should) that tape of him talking to his daughter - wow.

I must wonder how God allowed his spokesperson (Stephen) to get $2 million in debt. Dear Lord: May his debts and personal troubles merely increase, or else give him a clue (like, a little intellectual curiosity). Amen.

Posted by: Fort Wayne | Jan 31, 2010 7:27:12 PM

20. He's a bible literalist? I bet you he's eaten shrimp and wears mixed fabrics. Hypocrite twit.

Posted by: Gyeong Hwa Pak | Jan 31, 2010 9:56:10 PM

21. What also should be noted about "Threesome" is that at the end, Baldwin's character, a meathead jock, agrees to a threesome with his two college roommates, a woman and a gay man.

Posted by: Thomas More | Jan 31, 2010 11:00:08 PM

22. Stephen's come a long way since he did the film 'Threesome' I was so excited to see it as it was the first gay film I ever saw in an actual theater. Unfortunately the direction he's decided to go in has been straight down...

Posted by: Ian | Jan 31, 2010 11:47:25 PM

23. You know what fuck!!! men? it means you have to fuck your self.Your belief is yours,"its all yours!!! O.K
    Don't forget men that you are not the judge to say any words against others,,,and you know what?we don't need your idiotic weird words.

Posted by: julzz | Feb 1, 2010 6:24:14 AM

24. I know that your belief is real,but you have nothing to do with it,that's what they choose for their lives,maybe that's the only way to make them happy.

Posted by: julzz | Feb 1, 2010 6:30:39 AM

25. Who cares? Why should this blog even print anything this person has to say? He's literally of no relevance. My neighbor has an opinion on gay marriage, should that get pronted here? The lady that checks me out at the grocery store too? Why aren't they asking her? This guy is an idiot. And if he wants to debate the Bible, I'd love to sit down with him. Let's see if he actually knows why each book was written, to whom it was intended, and why it is even in the Bible. And more to the point, let's see if he adheres to it all or just the passages that fit his life -- like most born agains.

Every intelligent person knows that these ex-gay ministries are ridiculous. I wonder if there were ex-heterosexual ministries, if through enough coersion and pressure if you could make a straight person have sex with someone of the same sex? Hmmm, let's ask the guys in state prison? Gay is not about sex, it's about who you are as a person. Evolution doesn't just pertain to species of animals, it pertains to thought and action. It's why people GROW UP. Maybe some of these people should try it.

And anyone who says 9/11 was a message from God...well, my disgust for that person only grows deeper and I find them completely thoughtless and frankly, ignorant.

Posted by: Bart | Feb 1, 2010 8:48:56 AM