Football (American) | JAmes Dobson | News | Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow Shoots Super Bowl Ad for Anti-Gay Focus on the Family

Tebow

Tim Tebow, the University of Florida quarterback known to inscribe Bible verses into his eye black, has shot a commercial for anti-gay Christian group Focus on the Family set to air during the Super Bowl. The likely message of the ad, which he shot with his mother, is anti-abortion:

"Pam Tebow contacted amoebic dysentery while on a Philippines mission, and the bacterial infection sent her into a coma. Upon recovery, doctors urged Pam to have an abortion because of the damage to her body. Tebow was born healthy on Aug. 14, 1987... Jim Daly, Focus on the Family president and chief executive officer, said in a statement that the Tebows’ message about family comes at the right moment in the culture because 'families need to be inspired.' The commercial was shot in Orlando. 'Tim and Pam share our respect for life and our passion for helping families thrive,' Daly said. 'Focus on the Family is about … strengthening families by empowering them with the tools they need to live lives rooted in morals and values.' Super Bowl ads are expected to run around $2.8 million dollars for the 100 million viewers. But the Tebows produce financial draw."

Focus on the Family donated $727,000 to the Proposition 8 campaign to ban same-sex marriage in California. Its founder, James Dobson, has been outspoken against gay issues, most recently the federal hate crimes bill.

The ad is the first Super Bowl ad in FoF's history.

Comments

1. I'm pro-life. I'm glad he is too. People need to prepare for pregnancies and not kill fetuses on whim or because they can't handle what they created. However, I don't support his decision to align with FoF.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 16, 2010 11:03:02 PM

2. Basically yeah. Look at those jug ears, bluegreen eyes and huge thick neck as big as my thigh. rawr. :))

Posted by: Blake | Jan 16, 2010 11:05:32 PM

3. Roll tide, douche bag.

Posted by: David | Jan 16, 2010 11:16:43 PM

4. Bill, the same people who want to control what women do with their bodies want to control what we do with our bodies. Women don't "kill fetuses on whim." Only a gay man who has never spoken with a woman who's had an abortion could say such a ludicrous thing. FOF wants to inflict their personal beliefs on everyone--being anti-choice and being anti-gay go hand in hand.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 16, 2010 11:40:20 PM

5. Blake you are a desperate street whore if you find this guy attractive. And Bill, if men could get pregnant would you still be pro life?
    Misogynistic gays, who knew?

Posted by: ty | Jan 16, 2010 11:56:31 PM

6. I'll pray and ask the Lord for a career ending injury.

Posted by: call | Jan 17, 2010 12:19:05 AM

7. Oh please bitches, don't be actin' all prim and proper, you would go down faster than a drunken preacher's daughter on prom night if you so much as shook his hand.

Posted by: Blake | Jan 17, 2010 12:43:05 AM

8. Helping families thrive my ass. How much money would $2.8 million be for a food kitchen, or for disaster relief in Haiti?

Posted by: Tom | Jan 17, 2010 1:35:24 AM

9. Oh, misogynistic gays exist. I detest them. The ones that tell fat jokes about their fag hags behind their backs? I've got no time for those predictably disappointing people. Who ever thought they'd answer their mother with, "I want to be a common slob". They are men, after all. And men are pigs. That's a fact of biology. Pigs. But so is everyone else; women, too. Don't ever forget it, because if you do, you'll get hurt. But getting hurt reminds you that you're alive, and only once. What's worth saving? I love it all, from genocide to geraniums. There's beauty if everything...from a homeless alcoholic pissing himself in the cold to a breathtaking vista.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 17, 2010 1:42:50 AM

10. So PeterParker, In your mind it's okay if this creepy closet case discriminates against women, but it's not okay if he discriminates against "gays" which translates to gay men in your world.

Dude, I know you from the craigslist forums and again, all I can say is, "WHAT???"

You come from a very priveleged background. You're gay. Both of those things are true about me as well. But I don't hate women. You do, and it sort of taints everything else you say.

Drop the hate bro. It makes your ass look fat.

Posted by: Marie in SF | Jan 17, 2010 2:25:35 AM

11. Isn't it odd that FoF has purchased commercial space during the Super Bowl to discuss abortion? It doesn't seem like an appropriate audience given the material.

Also, as a scientist, I have to point out to the Orlando Sentinel that AMOEBIC dysentery is caused by a type of AMOEBA, not bacteria, but I digress...

Posted by: Liz | Jan 17, 2010 2:33:48 AM

12. There is no reason why the gay marriage TV ads from "Get To Know Us First" were banned from being aired during the Superbowl last year while an ad from Focus On The Family focusing on abortion would be allowed this year. That is blatant discrimination.

Posted by: Sean Chapin | Jan 17, 2010 2:45:13 AM

13. simply gorgeous, i'd love to do him on the 50 yard line, him and his buddies, slapping me with their jockstraps as they commit all kinds of indencencies with my person.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Jan 17, 2010 2:48:19 AM

14. Blake, just because you meet all your friends in parks & public toilets, doesn't mean that all gay people think with their dicks, or need last resorts to hook up with someone...

Posted by: TheNiebur | Jan 17, 2010 3:04:10 AM

15. This caught my eye and made me think:

"If they ever actually do find a genetic cause for homosexuality, and expectant parents start aborting fetuses that test positive for the "gay gene", how much you want to bet a lot of gay people start becoming "pro life.""

Posted by: GrabbinNewscume

I sat and thought to myself, "would I be so strongly pro-choice if unborn babies were being killed left and right because parents could identify the Gay gene?"

I don't know, anybody else have an opinion?

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Jan 17, 2010 3:29:39 AM

16. There's nothing more hateful than leftists. Leftists murder babies then scream more hatred towards those opposed to murdering babies. Just read these comments.

Posted by: ron | Jan 17, 2010 3:52:30 AM

17. @Derek

Pro-choice should not be conflated with pro-abortion.

I think if we had licensed doctors and therapists presenting mothers with the facts about sexual orientation, most of them will make an appropriate decision. Most women do not take the decision to have an abortion lightly any way. It is usually an emotionally draining and difficult process. But if women can only have abortions for reasons I personally approved of, then it wouldn't be a "choice" anymore, would it?

It would be government sanctioned "family planning" of the sort they have in the People's Republic of China. That's an entirely different conversation. And fortunately, it is one that we don't have to deal with in this country yet because we still have the resources to feed our people. But I am sympathetic to the harsh realities of ruling an empire of that magnitude. If we ever reach the point where we are struggling to feed 1.5 or 2 billion folks, "choice" might become a luxury we can no longer afford.

Posted by: John | Jan 17, 2010 3:54:55 AM

18. He's gonna have a lot of explaining and apologizing to do when he comes out...

Posted by: stingostingo | Jan 17, 2010 4:26:36 AM

19. And this a big deal why? It's football the typical strait guys beer chugging yell at the TV screen testosterone filled sport. Think of the people FOF are marketing to. There's your answer.

And I think that money could have been spent on the victims of Haiti. But then again I'm a Gay Christian and well I guess my opinion doesn't matter right Dobson?

Posted by: Jason | Jan 17, 2010 6:40:02 AM

20. there but for the grace of god go the tebows. god smote between 100,000 to 200,000 dark-skinned people in haiti, just so the Lilly-white tebows could live in comfort and promote their idiocy. the entire world will spend 100s of millions of dollars to rescue the buried-alive, the sick and the dying in Haiti, while these sick mother-fuckers promote their cause. protect the unborn? sure. fuck the living.

the loony pat robertson blames the haitian's misery on allegedly turning their backs on god. the bloated, oxycontin-addled, drug addicted, pork-fed carcass of a man(?) stinking up the highways and byways of our political landscape, says obama's response to OUR massive military, public and private, and humanitarian aid to Haiti is a political ploy. and, the right rejoices. the milk of human kindness extends only to their own gaping maws. fuck christ, this is the start of an election year.

god is indeed great, and god is indeed good. he let's the bigots prosper, while he fucks the destitute. this is god in a bizzarro world.

Posted by: nic | Jan 17, 2010 7:20:46 AM

21. LOL!! These fools.

Posted by: Monsieur Valentino | Jan 17, 2010 8:14:31 AM

22. Back in 2005 NBC and CBS refused to run ads about the United Church of Christ's welcoming of LGBT worshipers because the ads implied criticism of other churches' positions on Gays. How is this Focus on the Family ad any different?

Posted by: gleeindc | Jan 17, 2010 8:19:15 AM

23. Gay hookups calling the media to tell their stories in 3... 2... 1...

Posted by: Rob | Jan 17, 2010 8:29:45 AM

24. Tim Tebow = sell out.

Posted by: Brian Wilson | Jan 17, 2010 8:43:42 AM

25. Tim Tebow=Hit once too many times in the head.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 17, 2010 9:12:18 AM