Football (American) | JAmes Dobson | News | Tim Tebow

BigGayDeal.com

Tim Tebow Shoots Super Bowl Ad for Anti-Gay Focus on the Family

Tebow

Tim Tebow, the University of Florida quarterback known to inscribe Bible verses into his eye black, has shot a commercial for anti-gay Christian group Focus on the Family set to air during the Super Bowl. The likely message of the ad, which he shot with his mother, is anti-abortion:

"Pam Tebow contacted amoebic dysentery while on a Philippines mission, and the bacterial infection sent her into a coma. Upon recovery, doctors urged Pam to have an abortion because of the damage to her body. Tebow was born healthy on Aug. 14, 1987... Jim Daly, Focus on the Family president and chief executive officer, said in a statement that the Tebows’ message about family comes at the right moment in the culture because 'families need to be inspired.' The commercial was shot in Orlando. 'Tim and Pam share our respect for life and our passion for helping families thrive,' Daly said. 'Focus on the Family is about … strengthening families by empowering them with the tools they need to live lives rooted in morals and values.' Super Bowl ads are expected to run around $2.8 million dollars for the 100 million viewers. But the Tebows produce financial draw."

Focus on the Family donated $727,000 to the Proposition 8 campaign to ban same-sex marriage in California. Its founder, James Dobson, has been outspoken against gay issues, most recently the federal hate crimes bill.

The ad is the first Super Bowl ad in FoF's history.

Comments

1. I remember many of you drooling over him when Andy posted the shirtless pics of him. How quickly allegiances change.

I am going to reserve judgment on Tim's views until I see the ad. But if it is a pro-life ad, considering his mother was told by doctors to abort him due to the risk to her life, and considering that she didn't and produced this young man, I'm not going to complain at all.

If he were a gay athlete, out and proud, you'd all be encouraging him to do ads for our cuase. But because he's a devout Christian who may appear in a pro-life ad he's now public enemy number one?

I may not agree with his message (although I suspect my views on abortion are probably closer to his that many of yours), I support his right to express it.

Posted by: DR | Jan 17, 2010 9:23:48 AM

2. GRAB...it's not about pro-life, it's about pro-CHOICE.

Posted by: NYSmike | Jan 17, 2010 9:56:48 AM

3. We will never ever be free of these Christian busybodies. They are the most tiresome people on earth.

Posted by: sjorgl | Jan 17, 2010 10:10:14 AM

4. In no universe that I am aware of is Tebow considered "hot". He looks like he has a learning disability or slight case of Down's Syndrome.

Posted by: ep147 | Jan 17, 2010 10:14:03 AM

5. Dumb. Indoctrinated. Bigoted.

Posted by: David T | Jan 17, 2010 10:30:06 AM

6. I can appreciate the fact that Tebow has a beautiful body without forgetting his alliance with reprehensible Christian fundamentalism. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive. Serial killers can be physically handsome sometimes too, but that doesn't mean we're all signing up to support them.

Also, some here are citing the story of Tebow's mother's pregnancy and the recommendations by her doctors to terminate it as evidence against abortion. The fact that Tebow was born healthy is wonderful, but the decision for a mother of four small children to proceed with a very risky pregnancy in a foreign country against medical advice still represents an unreasonably dangerous course of action that could easily have resulted in an unspeakable tragedy for their family. Any competent risk/benefit analysis at that time would have pointed to this same conclusion. Tebow's mother's story had a happy ending, but should not be regarded as a model for others in similar situations.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 17, 2010 10:33:28 AM

7. Um, Blake, I wouldn't touch this creep. He's not my type. Now go back to your room. It's almost time to renew.

Posted by: David T | Jan 17, 2010 10:33:50 AM

8. Focus on the Family is using Tim Tebow's cult of personality to promote their cause. This is every organization's modus operandi.

Posted by: sunset10086 | Jan 17, 2010 10:46:55 AM

9. Hey Derek,
    Ever seen the movie Gattaca? It deals with the exact ethical question you posed. A gay gene isn't discussed per se in the movie though it is briefly mentioned on the DVD's extended scenes.

I doubt that the identification of a gay gene will lead to abort-or-not decisions. However, I do fully believe, like Gattaca proposed, that parents will one day be able to choose to keep or eliminate genetic markers at the point of conception. A lot less messy than abortion.

And you just know the fundies will find a way to maintain their strict anti-abortion stance yet have no problem whatsoever manipulating the ethical bounds of eugenics to suit their beliefs.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 17, 2010 10:59:14 AM

10. I wonder if Tebow will ever just come out. When I see him, I think of the Wizard of Oz, "Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain." In this case, it's "don't see me for what I really am." He puts on a show, making sure the camera's on him on the sidelines while he makes a big show of praying, the bible verses under his eyes, making sure the camera's on him, again, after the SEC champ game while he tries to squirt some tears. Someone who puts on that big of a show is hiding something. We'll likely never know what that something is till after he dies and his "personal assistant" writes a tell-all book about their long-term affair, but the more he does these things, the more I want to know what he doesn't want people to know.

Posted by: Angela | Jan 17, 2010 11:51:36 AM

11. @ Crispy

Well said.

That's what people don't get about the right and the fundies, they twist everything to suit their warped purposes and call it 'freedom'!

How is pro choice being anti-life?

How many of these mental fundies are really and truly great parents? Really care about their kids and let them be WHO they are instead of what THEY want them to be?

A genuine and true parent?

If more people had abortions instead of having kids, than the world would be a better place.

Urgh.

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 17, 2010 11:52:23 AM

12. Being Pro-Life is not Necessarily Anti-Gay.
    When the reason for same-sex attraction is discovered which babies are going to be first place on the hit list?

Posted by: ndorphynbear | Jan 17, 2010 12:17:21 PM

13. First off, I wish Tebow hadn't joined up with Focus on the Family, an organization that I think does harm to many families and groups...not just gays.

However, his views on abortion mirror my own. I have yet to have anyone tell me when life begins. Without that knowledge, I err on the side of caution and am strictly pro-life. The same way I err on the side of caution in regard to the death penalty. What if someone is incorrectly sentenced? That is why I am anti-death penalty.

On the other hand, if you are going to be strictly pro-life, you must be at the forefront in encouraging adoption and services for pregnant women. I have donated time and money to various local organizations that provide such services. You must also push for legislation that makes it much easier to adopt and include all types of families in that. This is where most of the far right falls down.

And yes, seeing him in person, Tebow is very hot.

Posted by: JohninBR | Jan 17, 2010 12:20:26 PM

14. I've been astounded for months now at the number of gay guys salivating over Tebow at another website devoted to gays&sports.... The signs have been there all along (Good Lord, people, look at the Bible verses under his eyes...) that he's hard-core fundamentalist, along with the rest of his family. How pathetic to be lusting after someone who, to your face, I am sure would tell you that you are going straight to Hell for being gay.

Posted by: steve04074 | Jan 17, 2010 1:03:04 PM

15. Actually, Milkman, I 100% disagree. I think his mother was very brave in that she was willing to do what she needed to give birth to a child. Why do we always have to assume the worst? Clearly doctors are not infallible, as Tim's case shows. Why should we "err on the side of caution" and stop a human life before it's had a chance to be born?

Posted by: DR | Jan 17, 2010 1:41:58 PM

16. DR, because there were five existing lives already depending upon the continued health of the mother. Don't get me wrong, I understand why she chose to go ahead, and am glad it turned out well. But in the case of all medical evidence pointing toward a tragic end to the pregnancy, for both the child and the mother, I fail to see the logic in allowing it to continue. Doctors don't need to be infallible to offer advice based on the best available medical evidence. Indeed, that's all anyone can do in any situation.

Even hard core pro-lifers concede that termination of a pregnancy is reasonable in cases of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. Mrs. Tebow's decision was indeed brave, but sometimes bravery can be tainted with myopia and selfishness.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 17, 2010 1:57:26 PM

17. "brave"? Tell me, what's the difference between bravery as you're using it and fanaticism? The results?

Posted by: TANK | Jan 17, 2010 2:13:33 PM

18. wow you guys must have a lot of time on your hands to talk all of this crap about tim tebow and his mother doing this ad. Personally i think that this is a great idea because tim has so many fans and that he has the opportunity to talk to people about what he belives is great. Not alot of people would ever do something like this because they would be scared of there reputation being ruined but it takes a real man to do this. GOD BLESS Tim Tebow

Posted by: heather | Jan 17, 2010 2:25:46 PM

19. @ johninbr

"I'm fed up to the back of my teeth of dealing with effed up kids who never had parents there for them, who left to rot in the system, who grow up so messed up because of abuse or who grow up knowing that they are not wanted but that they are tolerated because some self righteous b*tch didn't want to 'abort' her kid."

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 17, 2010 2:40:40 PM

20. As Blake, The Queen, DR et al have sadly shown, there are still many gay guys for whom straight masculine worship trumps critical thinking. For some gays, Tebow could come right out and say he hates gays and they'd STILL want to bury their faces in his buffalo ass (in fact, it would probably turn them on more). See also: Brady Quinn.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 17, 2010 2:50:56 PM

21. "So what are your feelings on the above? And what are you doing to support abused kids, orphans and kids in care?

People whose parents had no right having them but like you, they didn't believe in abortions."

I don't believe in sacrificing a possible life (again, I don't know when life begins) to make it easier for the rest of us, because some of us are "fed up." If you are fed up, do something about it.

I believe I said that I have donated time and money to organizations that support expecting mothers. I also have served as a CASA and donated to the local Children's Advocacy Center.

What do you mean that they had "no right" to have children? Everyone has the right to have children. Is it wise for some to? No. However, everyone has a right to have children.

Posted by: JohninBR | Jan 17, 2010 3:08:25 PM

22. >>How much do you want to bet a lot of christian conservatives start becoming pro-abortion far faster? You simpleminded trolling shitbag.Posted by: Blake | Jan 16, 2010 10:03:34 PM

Oopsey - guess I hit a nerve, Blakey. You cuntlicking dolt.

Posted by: GrabbinNewscume | Jan 17, 2010 3:19:01 PM

23. - See also: Brady Quinn.

Not to mention Tom Brady.

And for the older children, there was Brett Favre and Joe Montana.

If you are Republican, Christian, and a jock - you can get away with pretty much anything, including violent behavior, as far as the conservative gays are concerned. That is, unless you are also black. Then all bets are off and they'll damn you to the everlasting fires of Hell for uttering anything even remotely homophobic.

Posted by: John | Jan 17, 2010 3:32:12 PM

24. How are these death cultist always complaining about being oppress when they have enough support to fund propaganda during the Super Bowl. And when is their god going to rapture already?

Posted by: Gyeong Hwa Pak | Jan 17, 2010 4:26:21 PM

25. This will be the first time I jack off to a religious commercial, I guess.

Posted by: NickIRL | Jan 17, 2010 4:33:19 PM