Advertising | Evangelicals | Football (American) | JAmes Dobson | News | Sports | Tim Tebow

BigGayDeal.com

Women's Groups Urge CBS to Scrap Tebow Focus on the Family Ad

Shirtless_Tebow

A coalition of women's groups — the New York-based Women's Media Center, the National Organization for Women, the Feminist Majority and other groups — asked CBS to reject a Super Bowl ad featuring University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow and his mother placed by anti-gay, pro-life evangelical group Focus on the Family, the AP reports.

Said the coalition's letter: "By offering one of the most coveted advertising spots of the year to an anti-equality, anti-choice, homophobic organization, CBS is aligning itself with a political stance that will damage its reputation, alienate viewers, and discourage consumers from supporting its shows and advertisers."

According to the WaPo, "[Focus spokesman Gary] Schneeberger said CBS officials carefully examined Focus on the Family's track record and found no basis for rejecting the ad."

Schneeberger keeps talking about the content of the ad, which is not why people are objecting. It's the organization, stupid:

Focus on the Family donated $727,000 to the Proposition 8 campaign to ban same-sex marriage in California. Its founder, James Dobson, has been outspoken against gay issues, most recently the federal hate crimes bill.

Above, Tebow at a weigh-in today for the Senior Bowl (via TMZ). Tebow defended his participation in the ad over the weekend.

Previously...
Tim Tebow Shoots Super Bowl Ad for Anti-Gay Focus on the Family [tr]
Tim Tebow Defends Participation in Super Bowl Ad for Evangelical Anti-Gay, Pro-Life Group Focus on the Family [tr]

Comments

1. While I would have preferred that Tim Tebow not speak through Focus on the Family, I applaud his anti-abortion message. They are a flawed vehicle to sponsor this important ad, but I wholeheartedly support Tim Tebow's anti-abortion message. I think Tim and his mom have a powerful, personal testimony that must be told, even if it is paid for by Focus on the Family.

Posted by: Javier | Jan 26, 2010 7:36:17 AM

2. I think instead of working to get the ad pulled we should be focusing on the policy in place which has prevented other messages in the past. If I am to believe what I have read, in order to pass their criteria the ad could not make a particularly strong political message. Being pro-choice, I'm not thrilled about having an anti-choice message no matter how subtle, but it does beat the alternative. If CBS changes their mind Focus on the Family will more than likely get whatever ridiculous amount of money they paid for this spot put back in their coffers. That is that much more money that they could be using to do a LOT of harm.

I think there are few people whose support of reproduction rights will be seriously swayed by 30 seconds of T's mom alluding to not having an abortion. Not thrilled with people perhaps associating a softer message with FotF, but there is a chance that they will burn a large sum of money on a completely ineffective tool (other than Tebow), and that makes me smile.

Let's see to it that out of principle an equally subtle message for the opposing view can also meet their criteria so as to allow both sides fair access.

On an unrelated note: I think the fundies have found a new way to instill self-loathing in the gay community. I know that I would do Tebow and that, to a certain degree, sickens me. Damn you fundies and your eye candy!

Posted by: JT | Jan 26, 2010 8:43:38 AM

3. This boils down to one thing. Money!!!

CBS has a mostly older age demographic which would side with Tim Tebow's stance on abortion. I personally side with it except in cases of rape, incest, and putting the mother's life at risk.

CBS viewers will side with this and love the network even more.

I'm all for freedom of speech. It makes me nauseous when it's limited, But I think CBS should allow a counter commercial if the money could be raised to air it.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 26, 2010 9:19:47 AM

4. Really, Javier? Since you'll never have the opportunity to get pregnant and are prob gay as well, what you think about abortion is oh so relevant. please get some education and take your ignorant head out your ass.

Posted by: ZnSD | Jan 26, 2010 10:54:25 AM

5. What I'd like to know is, would CBS allow a pro-choice message or a Family Planning group to post a similar ad? I bet you anything they wouldn't and that's a double standard that should be addressed. Instead of demanding that CBS pull the ad -- which I don't really advocate -- womens' rights groups should protest (as is their own free speech) the content of the ad, and they should try to post their own ad during the same time-slot. That way, when CBS inevitably rejects them, they can promulgate CBS' hypocrisy.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 26, 2010 1:12:37 PM

6. "la neta" (in sum), CBS is a xtianist whore.

Posted by: nic | Jan 26, 2010 2:29:40 PM

7. "And where is our advocacy group on this? Why hasn't GLAAD fired off a letter to CBS? Where's the part in the AP story about that???"

According to GLAAD's website, they are planning their next awards (kudos me!) banquet.

Posted by: Joe | Jan 26, 2010 2:34:42 PM

8. He has a nice beefy body but obviously lacks brains. But he has a right to express his views the last thing ANYONE on this site would want is censorship.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 26, 2010 6:35:04 PM

9. i dont get the whole, lets demonize him in the articles, yet lets show how hot he is with his shirt off.

Posted by: Astro | Jan 27, 2010 10:26:36 AM

10. He's probably gay. It seems the guys that want to fight the hardest against it usually have soemthing to hide and think that is the best way to do it.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 28, 2010 6:19:59 PM

11. Good for CBS. The talk of a double standards is off base. For example: Is it a double standard to let a police officer have a discount, but not a child molester? People have morals. Some things are evil. Right is right, and wrong is wrong. Get Saved.

Posted by: Texas W.A.S.P | Jan 31, 2010 1:58:43 AM

12. As a female it's my body - I can do with it as I want.

If you don't like that then keep your penis out of my body and we won't have a problem!

Posted by: T | Feb 3, 2010 5:02:00 PM

13. nine "you knows" in 53 seconds!!! Fits image of a dumb jock!!! Didnt FU teach him anything?

Posted by: Bill T | Feb 4, 2010 12:26:03 PM

14. Where is the glitter bomb crew when you need em?

Posted by: Tim | Nov 17, 2011 10:45:40 PM