Alexander McQueen | Deaths | Fashion Men | News

BigGayDeal.com

British Designer Alexander McQueen Commits Suicide

Mcqueen

Britain's Daily Mail reports that designer Alexander McQueen has taken his own life:

"The 40-year-old committed suicide just days after the death of his mother, Joyce. His death also comes just three years after his close friend, Isabella Blow - who plucked him from obscurity and helped him become a star - killed herself. McQueen was found at his luxury flat in Green Park, central London. It is believed he hanged himself. A source at McQueen’s office this afternoon confirmed his death, saying: ‘It is a tragic loss. We are not making a comment at this time out of respect for the McQueen family.’ His death comes just days before the start of London Fashion Week and weeks before he was due to unveil his new collection at Paris Fashion Week on March 9...

...Openly gay, McQueen once described himself as the 'pink sheep of the family'. He married his partner, film-maker George Forsyth in the summer of 2000. The ceremony took place on a yacht owned by the prince of Gambia in Ibiza and Kate Moss, a close friend, was a bridesmaid."

R.I.P.

Comments

1. R.I.P.

P.S. Why does it have to be the Daily Mail that breaks the story. I'm sure Jan Moir will be chalking this up to "the myth of happy-ever-after of same-sex relationships" or however she put it.

Posted by: John | Feb 11, 2010 10:58:19 AM

2. Shocking news!

Posted by: PM | Feb 11, 2010 10:59:17 AM

3. Such a talented man. Sad news.

Posted by: zanif | Feb 11, 2010 11:07:24 AM

4. I admired him so much, he was the greatest source of inspiration in my life, I just can't stop crying

Posted by: Derek | Feb 11, 2010 11:21:16 AM

5. Derrick:

While I hesitate to even respond to your shockingly insensitive comment, I will remind you that perhaps the difference between you and me (and likely you and most of the readership on this blog) is that even if my worst cultural enemy (say Inhofe, Gibson or deMint) were to find himself so unhappy on this earth to commit suicide, I would still mourn for his life, for his sadness, and for his family.

Shame on you.

(burning question: why are you on a blog that is clearly labeled as having "homosexual tendencies")

Posted by: JesryPo | Feb 11, 2010 11:34:48 AM

6. I meant "you and I" - apologies to Mrs. Wilson, 10th grade English class

Posted by: JesryPo | Feb 11, 2010 11:35:59 AM

7. @Derrick: You first. I can smell your self-hatred from over here.

Posted by: HomoDM | Feb 11, 2010 11:42:19 AM

8. RIP to a great talent. he will be sorely missed. his runway shows were always spectacular and i always have great respect for people who rise to success by, not just pushing the envelope, but by shredding it.

and jesrypo-you were right the first time. the correct usage is "between you and me."

Posted by: alguien | Feb 11, 2010 11:43:58 AM

9. so very sad he was such a creative visionary -my heat felt regrets to his partner and all his family and friends.And as regards the above vile hater -WTF are you doing trolling a gay blog ???

Posted by: slippy | Feb 11, 2010 11:44:54 AM

10. Derrick,

He achieved something in his life while you just scratching yourself spreading hate behind your keyboard from the shithole you live in because you have nothing else to do.

I don't hate you, I pity you Derrick. You and the small life you have...

RIP Alexander.

Posted by: sebastien | Feb 11, 2010 11:45:36 AM

11. Not to belittle this man's life, but Jesrypo--

No, it is "between you and ME". You were correct the first time.

Posted by: jmg | Feb 11, 2010 11:48:08 AM

12. Dear JESRYPO:

You shouldn't worry about it. Most people would never know the difference, even if you did overthink it a bit. ;)

As for the troll above, I hope Andy sees it fit to block any further comment from the moron.

Suicide isn't just a simple matter and I find it disheartening that Mr. McQueen was so troubled. Sometimes, however, no matter how wonderful a person's support system may be, the individual committing the act may very well have a serious mental condition that requires constant professional monitoring.

I once found myself very much confused by the very notion that anyone would feel suicidal, but after many years and most recently having someone in my life who suffers tremendously, I see more clearly that mental illness is not just some "good riddance" topic. I was never as shallow and callous as our recent troll. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As for you, "DERRICK", I wish you the very worst in life, tragedy upon tragedy, only to survive it all and find yourself very much alone and miserable. Perhaps you'll learn a thing or two along the way.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Feb 11, 2010 11:51:57 AM

13. This is so terribly sad. RIP Alexander.

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Feb 11, 2010 11:56:20 AM

14. Lucky him for not being part of this hateful, painful world anymore. Last night my boyfriend of 9 years hit me until I bled. And in all the commotion of the fight, our dogs turned on me and bit me. I've been very depressed for a very long time and have been considering suicide as a more sensible, practical option. The only thing that keeps me from actually doing it is the pain that I will cause my family. I know that it will totally devastate them, especially my mother, brothers and sisters. My father committed suicide seven years ago and it was a very hard thing for my entire family. I would hate to inflict the same kind on pain on them once again. But I just can't take this suffering anymore, and I have no one to turn to, no friends, no confidant, no one who even cares.

I gotta be honest, I deeply envy Alexander McQueen for having actually done it to ease the pain he was under.
    He's in a peaceful place where no one can hurt him anymore, and where he's finally happy and safe.

Rest in peace, Alexander. Hopefully I'll join you sometime soon.

Posted by: Heartbroken | Feb 11, 2010 12:01:45 PM

15. So sad... I read that his mum passed away last week. I guess we'll never know his pain. A tragic loss for fashion and for art.

Posted by: stingostingo | Feb 11, 2010 12:04:20 PM

16. I am not a big fashionista, but McQueen and Galliano have always been interesting to me. I saw them more as sculptors creating art out of fabric. McQueen had an incredible talent and vision and managed to create great beauty even when pushing the aesthetic envelope (a quality I greatly admire).

That he died at 40 and by his own hand and recently suffered two massive personal losses breaks my heart. We have lost a great talent.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 11, 2010 12:04:41 PM

17. Although I'm not familiar with Mr. McQueen, I am sad to hear this.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 11, 2010 12:06:54 PM

18. @HEARTBROKEN: *please* go see your doctor and tell him/her exactly what you have written here. your doctor should be able to refer you to a competent mental health professional who can help you. i would also recommend that you make some sort of plans to leave your boyfriend because anyone who hits you should be avoided. pack a suitcase and keep it in a closet so that you can leave at a moment's notice if necessary.

and...just to clarify...alexander mcqueen is not 'happy and safe' as you put it. he is dead. suicide is never the best option.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 11, 2010 12:14:44 PM

19. @Heartbroken

As someone who has considered suicide in the past, I can sympathize with you. You definitely need to make some changes (breaking up with ANYONE who hits you period), but I can tell you that things can get better. I speak to you from a different side of things: if I had killed myself, I would not only have hurt myself and my family and friends at the time but had no idea how many amazing people I would have met and experiences I would have had. I now have an amazing partner - if I weren't around who would have loved and cared for him the way I do. I have become very close to new friends and have had many wonderful new experiences that I would never have fathomed that I could or would have. I am at the happiest point in my life thus far, and killing myself would have deprived me from ever realizing that.

This crazy world NEEDS wonderful, sensitive people like yourself. Seek help. It's there.

Posted by: Tonic | Feb 11, 2010 12:22:36 PM

20. Can someone please tell me how to alert Andy on this?

I don't give a flying fuck about the troll, but Heartbroken is reaching out and I would hope somehow we can get help to him.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Feb 11, 2010 12:23:18 PM

21. This whole thread is truly disturbing. From DERRICK to HEARTBROKEN... I need a drink now.

Posted by: Rami | Feb 11, 2010 12:23:46 PM

22. Tragic, shocking and truly sad.Why am i not surprised to see that, even under these circumstances, the queens (that's most of you) are still bitchy and hostile. I tell friends to visit this site, not for the news, but to see how the queens are reacting, because even under the best of circumstances, the worst aspects of being gay are ALWAYS revealed here.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 11, 2010 12:26:02 PM

23. Heartbroken,

Please, please, please see a therapist. Pronto. I suffered from dysthemia between the ages of 30-32. It's a mild form of depression and it was crippling, so I can only assume what depression with suicidal thought are probably even worse.

Get help. There are many places that offer sliding scales. Try a clinic with post-doctoral therapists. That's what I did and I got a very very good therapist I was with for four years.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 11, 2010 12:27:01 PM

24. @Mary who is being bitchy and hostile?

Posted by: Alex | Feb 11, 2010 12:32:43 PM

25. first of all, thanks to everyone for the correction. I guess the combination of grief and anger can wreak havoc on a man's grammar...

second and most importantly, Heartbroken - please talk to your doctor and get out of that house, because contrary to what you see around you the world is not actually such a hateful place. Granted, your situation sounds pretty miserable, so it's understandable that your outlook seems bleak, but depression and suicidal thoughts are likely chemical, not situational, in nature. It's like a faulty switch in your brain may be constantly highlighting the bad and shielding the good from view. Meaning, it's not your fault that you can't seem to "snap out of it."

Finally, you'd be surprised how many people really care. I don't know you from Adam and I care, for what it's worth. I bet I'm not the only one on here, either. Why? Because for all I know you're the guy I sit next to at work every day, or who chats me up at the coffee shop every day, or, hell you could be my uncle or my cousin. And you could very easily be me.

Posted by: JesryPo | Feb 11, 2010 12:32:57 PM

26. 1 2 »

The comments to this entry are closed.