British Designer Alexander McQueen Commits Suicide

Mcqueen

Britain's Daily Mail reports that designer Alexander McQueen has taken his own life:

"The 40-year-old committed suicide just days after the death of his mother, Joyce.
His death also comes just three years after his close friend, Isabella Blow – who plucked him from obscurity and helped him become a star – killed herself.
McQueen was found at his luxury flat in Green Park, central London. It is believed he hanged himself.
A source at McQueen’s office this afternoon confirmed his death, saying: ‘It is a tragic loss. We are not making a comment at this time out of respect for the McQueen family.’
His death comes just days before the start of London Fashion Week and weeks before he was due to unveil his new collection at Paris Fashion Week on March 9…

…Openly gay, McQueen once described himself as the 'pink sheep of the family'. He married his partner, film-maker George Forsyth in the summer of 2000.
The ceremony took place on a yacht owned by the prince of Gambia in Ibiza and Kate Moss, a close friend, was a bridesmaid."

R.I.P.

Comments

1. John says

R.I.P.

P.S. Why does it have to be the Daily Mail that breaks the story. I’m sure Jan Moir will be chalking this up to “the myth of happy-ever-after of same-sex relationships” or however she put it.

2. Derek says

I admired him so much, he was the greatest source of inspiration in my life, I just can’t stop crying

3. JesryPo says

Derrick:

While I hesitate to even respond to your shockingly insensitive comment, I will remind you that perhaps the difference between you and me (and likely you and most of the readership on this blog) is that even if my worst cultural enemy (say Inhofe, Gibson or deMint) were to find himself so unhappy on this earth to commit suicide, I would still mourn for his life, for his sadness, and for his family.

Shame on you.

(burning question: why are you on a blog that is clearly labeled as having “homosexual tendencies”)

4. alguien says

RIP to a great talent. he will be sorely missed. his runway shows were always spectacular and i always have great respect for people who rise to success by, not just pushing the envelope, but by shredding it.

and jesrypo-you were right the first time. the correct usage is “between you and me.”

5. slippy says

so very sad he was such a creative visionary -my heat felt regrets to his partner and all his family and friends.And as regards the above vile hater -WTF are you doing trolling a gay blog ???

6. sebastien says

Derrick,

He achieved something in his life while you just scratching yourself spreading hate behind your keyboard from the shithole you live in because you have nothing else to do.

I don’t hate you, I pity you Derrick. You and the small life you have…

RIP Alexander.

7. jmg says

Not to belittle this man’s life, but Jesrypo–

No, it is “between you and ME”. You were correct the first time.

8. FizziekruntNT says

Dear JESRYPO:

You shouldn’t worry about it. Most people would never know the difference, even if you did overthink it a bit. 😉

As for the troll above, I hope Andy sees it fit to block any further comment from the moron.

Suicide isn’t just a simple matter and I find it disheartening that Mr. McQueen was so troubled. Sometimes, however, no matter how wonderful a person’s support system may be, the individual committing the act may very well have a serious mental condition that requires constant professional monitoring.

I once found myself very much confused by the very notion that anyone would feel suicidal, but after many years and most recently having someone in my life who suffers tremendously, I see more clearly that mental illness is not just some “good riddance” topic. I was never as shallow and callous as our recent troll. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As for you, “DERRICK”, I wish you the very worst in life, tragedy upon tragedy, only to survive it all and find yourself very much alone and miserable. Perhaps you’ll learn a thing or two along the way.

9. Heartbroken says

Lucky him for not being part of this hateful, painful world anymore. Last night my boyfriend of 9 years hit me until I bled. And in all the commotion of the fight, our dogs turned on me and bit me. I’ve been very depressed for a very long time and have been considering suicide as a more sensible, practical option. The only thing that keeps me from actually doing it is the pain that I will cause my family. I know that it will totally devastate them, especially my mother, brothers and sisters. My father committed suicide seven years ago and it was a very hard thing for my entire family. I would hate to inflict the same kind on pain on them once again. But I just can’t take this suffering anymore, and I have no one to turn to, no friends, no confidant, no one who even cares.

I gotta be honest, I deeply envy Alexander McQueen for having actually done it to ease the pain he was under.
    He’s in a peaceful place where no one can hurt him anymore, and where he’s finally happy and safe.

Rest in peace, Alexander. Hopefully I’ll join you sometime soon.

10. says

I am not a big fashionista, but McQueen and Galliano have always been interesting to me. I saw them more as sculptors creating art out of fabric. McQueen had an incredible talent and vision and managed to create great beauty even when pushing the aesthetic envelope (a quality I greatly admire).

That he died at 40 and by his own hand and recently suffered two massive personal losses breaks my heart. We have lost a great talent.

11. peterparker says

@HEARTBROKEN: *please* go see your doctor and tell him/her exactly what you have written here. your doctor should be able to refer you to a competent mental health professional who can help you. i would also recommend that you make some sort of plans to leave your boyfriend because anyone who hits you should be avoided. pack a suitcase and keep it in a closet so that you can leave at a moment’s notice if necessary.

and…just to clarify…alexander mcqueen is not ‘happy and safe’ as you put it. he is dead. suicide is never the best option.

12. Tonic says

@Heartbroken

As someone who has considered suicide in the past, I can sympathize with you. You definitely need to make some changes (breaking up with ANYONE who hits you period), but I can tell you that things can get better. I speak to you from a different side of things: if I had killed myself, I would not only have hurt myself and my family and friends at the time but had no idea how many amazing people I would have met and experiences I would have had. I now have an amazing partner – if I weren’t around who would have loved and cared for him the way I do. I have become very close to new friends and have had many wonderful new experiences that I would never have fathomed that I could or would have. I am at the happiest point in my life thus far, and killing myself would have deprived me from ever realizing that.

This crazy world NEEDS wonderful, sensitive people like yourself. Seek help. It’s there.

13. Tralfaz says

Can someone please tell me how to alert Andy on this?

I don’t give a flying fuck about the troll, but Heartbroken is reaching out and I would hope somehow we can get help to him.

14. Mary says

Tragic, shocking and truly sad.Why am i not surprised to see that, even under these circumstances, the queens (that’s most of you) are still bitchy and hostile. I tell friends to visit this site, not for the news, but to see how the queens are reacting, because even under the best of circumstances, the worst aspects of being gay are ALWAYS revealed here.

15. says

Heartbroken,

Please, please, please see a therapist. Pronto. I suffered from dysthemia between the ages of 30-32. It’s a mild form of depression and it was crippling, so I can only assume what depression with suicidal thought are probably even worse.

Get help. There are many places that offer sliding scales. Try a clinic with post-doctoral therapists. That’s what I did and I got a very very good therapist I was with for four years.

16. JesryPo says

first of all, thanks to everyone for the correction. I guess the combination of grief and anger can wreak havoc on a man’s grammar…

second and most importantly, Heartbroken – please talk to your doctor and get out of that house, because contrary to what you see around you the world is not actually such a hateful place. Granted, your situation sounds pretty miserable, so it’s understandable that your outlook seems bleak, but depression and suicidal thoughts are likely chemical, not situational, in nature. It’s like a faulty switch in your brain may be constantly highlighting the bad and shielding the good from view. Meaning, it’s not your fault that you can’t seem to “snap out of it.”

Finally, you’d be surprised how many people really care. I don’t know you from Adam and I care, for what it’s worth. I bet I’m not the only one on here, either. Why? Because for all I know you’re the guy I sit next to at work every day, or who chats me up at the coffee shop every day, or, hell you could be my uncle or my cousin. And you could very easily be me.

17. Christopher says

@MARY:

You’re SO right. Every other corner of the blogosphere is just bursting with civil, thoughtful and insightful comments. It’s only us boys in the band who can be nasty and rude.

Oh God I so want to say something spiteful right now but the view you’ve given me—all of us, really–of your superior social ethics simply won’t allow me do that anymore.

18. Rob West says

As someone unfamiliar with this talented man. I did a search, his work was amazing.
    I am sorry that for whatever reason he felt life was too unbearable.
    A great talent, a life too short. R.I.P.

19. Marcito says

Every man has his “breaking point”, perhaps several over a life’s course. Hope is not an empty word. If HEARTBROKEN would like to talk, call me collect (if necessary) @ (402) 616-0152 (Mobile). I can offer you access to professional grief counselling from resources that may be in your area. You are not alone. Please.

20. LV says

@Heartbroken: Please seek help! There is someone out there who can help in your area. If you need to chat, please contact me and I can help you do the ground work to find a professional resouce for you to confide in. No one should have to accept abuse at the hands of a boyfriend/lover. Please utilize the resources available to you to seek the help that is available.

LV

21. Tralfaz says

@ Mary – Yeah all of us reaching out to Heartbroken are such bitches. Midol, dear?

Heartbroken, sweetie please, please call someone and get out of there and get help.

22. Marcito says

HEARTBROKEN: Please do not hesitate to pick up the phone to speak with a trained counselor at The Trevor Helpline:

866.4.U.TREVOR (866.488.7386)

23. jamal49 says

@Mary, what in the hell are you talking about? With the exception of TWO people (you and that execrable troll, Derrick), I see only honest and respectful commentary from some very kind and compassionate people.

@Heartbroken, please remember this: suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. There is nothing in our lives that can’t be fixed or changed. Love yourself, dear one. And if you find that too difficult right now, then let US love YOU. Reach out. There are millions of hands that will grab onto yours and gently pull you into a safe and loving place. Read what people say here and know just how many people really do care about you. God bless you, dear friend, and good luck.

I pray for the soul of Mr. McQueen and for his family and friends. This is a terrible loss. May God give him eternal peace.

24. TANK says

Oh everyone’s considered suicide before. It’s common. What separates the boys from the men is that you don’t find out until it’s too late for those who’ve more than considered it. It’s rare, because they really want to die…do you tell everyone you encounter that you want to eat when you’re hungry? No.

It’s sad, but there are very few ways of helping someone who wants to die. IT’s not complicated, simply one can’t cope with the problems that they’re suffering from anymore. Always a tragedy, though. Permanent solution temporary, etc. Anyway, I suppose he was talented, and it’s a shame-though it’d be a shame even if he weren’t.

As to heartbroken, it’s just going to get worse. This is a certainty; it never gets better. Couples conseling or counseling will always make it worse. If you want the abuse to stop, you’re going to have to leave. I bet it didn’t start out with physical abuse–that’s how it progresses. Your bf’s an abuser, and no matter how whiney you come across (to me), there’s no excuse for it. You should seriously consider contacting a local domestic violence hotline and discuss some options–though many aren’t prepared to handle same sex relationships, they should be as it happens just as frequently in same sex relationships as straight.

25. Richard says

Don’t a lot respect for someone that commits suicide…life is a daily struggle, suicide is the coward’s way.

26. says

I will probably never know what it’s like to have everything (fame, fortune, friends) and still want to die … and I hope I never will. Regardless of Alexander McQueen’s inner demons, the man made intriguing couture and when I think of British chutzpah, I think of McQueen. Elegant yet hard-edged and provocative, his designs were distinctly, surreally British.

Having said all that, I do find it quite hard to believe he killed himself. He was wildly successful, and while that is no guarantee a person won’t be depressed, he did seem to have so much going for him. Eagerly awaiting further information…

27. Hank says

Heartbroken, I am sorry you are in such pain, but I’m glad you reached out by posting. Now please open the phonebook and call a suicide hotline or a mental health professional or agency , and start having a live conversation with someone right now about what you wrote here.
    You sound like you are severely depressed; depression distorts your thoughts and emotions, so don’t 100% believe everything your mind is telling you right now. There IS a larger reality beyond the pain you are feeling , and you CAN get back in touch with it, no matter WHAT you are thinking, feeling or going through at this moment. I know, I’ve been there, and I’m so glad I didn’t pull the plug. Now hang on, breathe, and pick up the phone.
    Love,
    Hank

28. says

I’m closing down this thread because it’s irresponsible to have dozens of people here offering their own counseling tips to someone who could be in dire need of help.

To Heartbroken, or anyone out there considering suicide, please seek help by calling the Trevor Project.

866.4.U.TREVOR (866.488.7386)