Harold Ford Jr. | New York | News | Stephen Colbert

BigGayDeal.com

Colbert Nails Harold Ford Jr. on Pro-Choice, Gay Marriage Flip-Flops

Ford

Stephen Colbert takes Harold Ford Jr. to the mat on his positions on abortion, marriage equality, and his statements that he's familiar with the boroughs of New York City because he landed there in a helicopter.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Harold Ford Jr.
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorEconomy

Comments

1. This "Emperor" Ford, Jr. has no clothes. Let us not forget to remind Harold of that fact at EVERY opportunity. Act-Up, anyone?
    Anyone?

Posted by: Marcito | Feb 2, 2010 7:46:29 AM

2. It's too late for Ford. He blew it.

Posted by: Quentin | Feb 2, 2010 8:09:19 AM

3. I don't know that I would vote for him, but I think Ford handled the interview in a composed way and as a good sport.

Posted by: Chip | Feb 2, 2010 8:13:20 AM

4. harold ford jr is a scandal waiting to happen.

Posted by: jon | Feb 2, 2010 9:35:19 AM

5. bitch slapped

Posted by: KFLO | Feb 2, 2010 9:44:36 AM

6. It's a sad state that the best reporters with hard questions are Colbert and Stewart, but thank God for them.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 2, 2010 9:46:19 AM

7. he should stay in tennessee ...we need him more there than in ny...not sure if he has the integrity NOT to flip flop every time he needs a vote...on our issues, on any issues...at least his cool wife apparently supports us and has changed his mind.

Posted by: christian p | Feb 2, 2010 11:28:56 AM

8. @ Patrick: Right? It's a damn shame.

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Feb 2, 2010 11:37:28 AM

9. I thought he looked good here. If his position on gay marriage has genuinely advanced, he deserves to be commended, whether you'd vote for him or not.

Posted by: Jason | Feb 2, 2010 12:37:57 PM

10. Honestly I don't think this put him in a bad light. He explained his positions and change of mind. If he's elected it will be based on that trust that he is not telling a lie.

I don't consider a change of mind flip-flopping. It's not as if any of us has had a position on something or somebody based upon nothing more than that's how we were raised. Mr. Ford himself said he became educated about gay marriage via his wife and the friends that he's been exposed to. So how is it a bad thing that he has changed his mind because he's become more enlightened on an issue. Isn't that what were are trying to do - educate and enlighten so we can have our piece of the pie also?

No whether he's actually telling the truth is another thing,but to simply dismiss him as a flip-flopper is akin to cutting off your nose despite your face.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 2, 2010 1:14:13 PM

11. The main question regarding Harold Ford, Jr. is: who is behind his move to NY and why does he think that he might have a chance to try for elected office (presumably the U.S. Senate) in NY? Remember that when Mr. Ford ran for the Tennessee U.S. Senate seat, he was the subject (victim?) of a rather randy political ad that caused a ruckus ("Harold, call me.") at the time. This is the same set-up as when Hillary Clinton moved to NY and set-up residency to run for the NY U.S. Senate seat. There was a seat open in her home state of Arkansas, but she opted for NY--one assumes because it's a more "high profile" Senate seat than being a Senator from Arkansas. Harold Ford, Jr. is an opportunist, if he is anything. He lusts to get back into national politics. I shudder to think of Mr. Ford in the U.S. Senate, siding with the republicons and the "blue-mutt" democrats. Harold would certainly love the opportunity to be a thorn in Pres. Obama's side. I don't care what anybody says. Harold Ford, Jr. cannot be trusted to be one of NY's Senators. Clinton was a carpetbagger and so is he. He should be persuaded to stay in his cushy Wall Street job. Or else be persuaded to get his ass back to Tennessee.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 2, 2010 2:09:46 PM

12. fraud - he has already proven if it would benefit him he would throw women and gay people under the bus for his own benefit

just another narcissistic elitist

Posted by: Walter | Feb 2, 2010 4:11:45 PM

13. He is the black John Edwards --- do not trust him. Esp now that he has just played the victim card --- booo f-ing hoo

Posted by: Walter | Feb 2, 2010 4:15:29 PM

14. No no... you can't throw me under the bus in Tennessee and then get my vote in New York. I'll be voting for Gillibrand - I can't think of a senator who's done more for us in such a short time in office.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 2, 2010 4:49:26 PM

15. I agree with Jake & Jamal49. Changing one's mind can be a good thing, just like I used to be for capital punishment but now I'm against it. We can grow and evolve, or at least we should.

Still, I don't trust him. Not with this. There is too much at stake. And I think his statement about "its politics" says it all.

Sorry, Harold, don't call me. You'd have to be beating down doors demanding 'Equality Now!!' for me to BEGIN to believe you.

Posted by: Taylor Siluwe | Feb 2, 2010 4:52:14 PM

16. I'm no fan of the Ford political dynasty here in Tennessee and believe this move is being engineered by someone other than Harold Jr.

I will give him credit for smoothness, though. Colbert was trying hard to "get" him, but Ford rolled with it pretty well.

Posted by: Anthony in Nashville | Feb 2, 2010 7:35:59 PM

17. I understand politicians needing to be pragmatic--depending on their audience. If you don't, why aren't you questioning the many issues on which Gillibrand has changed in her switch from the House to the Senate?

Posted by: Mort | Feb 3, 2010 1:40:13 AM

18. I echo others in applauding Mr. Ford for changing his views on gay marriage. The more that come over to our side, the better.

However, his stance (and explanation of it) on choice comes across as opportunistic. For this reason, he wouldn't get my vote at this point.

P.S. @JakeinLove: It's "to Spite", not "despite" your face.

Posted by: Rodney | Feb 3, 2010 9:07:23 AM