John Mayer | Kiss | News

John Mayer's Only Gay Kiss Was a Pretend 'Fag' Bashing

Mayer  More from the John Mayer Playboy interview I posted about in the news round-up yesterday. Here he's asked if he's ever kissed a man:

"The only man I’ve kissed is Perez Hilton. It was New Year’s Eve and I decided to go out and destroy myself. I was dating Jessica [Simpson] at the time, and I remember seeing Perez Hilton flitting about this club and acting as though he had just invented homosexuality. All of a sudden I thought, I can outgay this guy right now. I grabbed him and gave him the dirtiest, tongue-iest kiss I have ever put on anybody—almost as if I hated fags. I don’t think my mouth was even touching when I was tongue kissing him, that’s how disgusting this kiss was. I’m a little ashamed. I think it lasted about half a minute. I really think it went on too long.

Comments

1. Wow...His recount of the story wasn't done with the best tact but I think his intentions were innocent.

Posted by: Toy Couture | Feb 11, 2010 8:04:11 AM

2. Kissing Perez Hilton *would be* disgusting.

Posted by: TCW | Feb 11, 2010 8:12:16 AM

3. Here we go. Another celebrity yutz who in one sentence has to make sure everyone who reads this tripe knows he 1) dates women 2) is NOT gay 3)would ONLY kiss a guy if he was tanked on alcohol and not responsible for his actions and 4) if he did it like he totally hated "fags". What a jerk. And what with the "have you ever kissed a guy?" question? Who cares, so what, big deal. Anyway, anybody ("destroyed" or otherwise) that would kiss Perez Hilton has got to be an idiot. What a pandering maroon.

Posted by: David C. | Feb 11, 2010 8:14:26 AM

4. Mayer = Hypomania
    Hypomania: A condition that resembles mania, but is less severe and disabling. People who are hypomanic experience euphoric mood, talk more and are more active, and need less sleep. They may also be unrealistically optimistic and/or narcissistic.
    In other words, this dude is f*^%king nuts...

Posted by: Marcito | Feb 11, 2010 8:33:57 AM

5. douche.

Posted by: stephen | Feb 11, 2010 8:34:13 AM

6. God, someone (his publicist maybe?) should've stepped in while this interview was being conducted. He's pissed off African-Americans and now he's pissing off gay folks. Whose next on Mayer's shitlist?

Posted by: Leonard | Feb 11, 2010 8:36:32 AM

7. enough with the pc bullshit already. i think there's a difference between what he said and someone who uses words to hurt, whether that be for blacks or gays. what does it tell about people when they get offended for every stupid little thing ?!

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Feb 11, 2010 8:42:26 AM

8. Can someone shut him up? His self-regard and megalomania is so boring.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 11, 2010 8:53:17 AM

9. David C., small correction. Mayer only dates WHITE women. He claims his dick is racist. what a jackass...

Posted by: gaylib | Feb 11, 2010 8:55:19 AM

10. Agreed-Mayer is an ass ----and has poor taste- playing tonsil hockey with Perez
    was a poor choice. I am surprised his tongue didn't atrophy afterwards.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 11, 2010 9:05:55 AM

11. It's not Fag Bashing when there's tongue you self inflated douche nozzle. In one sentance he enforces two fucked up sterotypes...fags and fat fags are contemptable. Sadly, some of you here beleive this to be true.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Feb 11, 2010 9:13:34 AM

12. Family Guy said it best:

Posted by: scientitian | Feb 11, 2010 9:19:19 AM

13. "I grabbed him and gave him the dirtiest, tongue-iest kiss I have ever put on anybody—almost as if I hated fags."

Almost, John? Really?

Hates homosexuals.

Hates black women.

Will his career be ruined? Or will he get a pass?

Posted by: zeta | Feb 11, 2010 9:22:18 AM

14. John Mayer is a fucking retard. This is not a satirical statement. *twirl*

Posted by: JonBenet | Feb 11, 2010 9:22:18 AM

15. he's just not very bright.

Posted by: bunker | Feb 11, 2010 9:24:16 AM

16. I fail to see that incident as "fag bashing". If anything, it's a tipsy, masochistic version of "Perez Hilton bashing". And really, who among us hasn't wanted to get in on that particular act now and then?

Posted by: Richard | Feb 11, 2010 9:25:36 AM

17. yeah, gaylib, he was totally out of pocket for that; but why while he was dating White Princess Sexual Napalm he couldn't control himself enough to NOT hate-tongue (it's like hate-sex, only no balls I mean lips are touching) a man who's VERY politically homosexual. I mean, really, what's this line mean? "acting as though he had just invented homosexuality." Why would a straight man care? John Mayer has issues. Was he drunk during this interview?

Beef and Fur, you have a point about the double dis. You also have a point about how some gays are going to think this is all ok. It isn't.

Posted by: zeta | Feb 11, 2010 9:34:28 AM

18. I've never really liked him, and always wondered why he doesn't have any consonants in his songs as he seems to just sing all vowels; but now I really dislike this pig. What a piece of trash.

Posted by: Pitt | Feb 11, 2010 9:35:28 AM

19. Not that I want to know, but who the hell is this idiot? Ah... thanks Google. Musician douchebag. Got it.

Posted by: David in Houston | Feb 11, 2010 9:38:56 AM

20. @Zeta

"Or will he get a pass?"

Z, haven't you heard? This c*nt has a "n-word pass" already, at least according to him.

I am curious as to what this bitch is smoking or tooting or shooting prior to these interviews so that if I do relapse, I know what not to do (at least initially).

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 11, 2010 9:41:50 AM

21. So, this interview went a little off the rails. As someone who knew John before his VH1 days, I've got to defend John and say that the characterization of "gay-basher" is a bit offbase. First, he is both completely straight and gay-friendly, but he's still kind of a self-aware geek who was propelled to mega-stardom. His use of derogatory language in this interview is flummoxing and definitely not cool, but John isn't exactly cool like Keith Richards. Some of the most honest points in the interview that everyone seems to be ignoring is John's confessions to being a mega-nice self-depreciating guy who wants nothing more than to just be liked. I'm not defending his choice of words here. However, Perez (the object of the alleged "gay bashing") used the "f" word in an arguably way more hateful manner last year. And to quote TCW above, kissing Perez Hilton *would be* disgusting. (Ugh, can we please stop giving Perez a pass as a victim and community leader simply for being gay and semi-famous?) This intereview is definitely cringe-inducing and regretable, but I think characterizing John as homophobic is wholly innacurate.

Posted by: d1gn4n | Feb 11, 2010 9:46:36 AM

22. One of things I like about Mayer is his seeming total lack of self-censorship and "restating" that is so common in celebrities - which is uncommon, I think, in people who also love the spotlight as much as he does.

I can totally see one of my straight friends who is completely normal about all things gay saying this in this way. The comment about Perez being annoying in an abrasive, over-the-top-shrieking-fag way makes perfect sense (and not just annoying to straight people) and c'mon - HE TONGUE-KISSED ANOTHER MAN. Whatever his reasons were, no phobic guy is going to do that.

We want straight people to be open like this, but then we jump on them when they are. That doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Greg | Feb 11, 2010 10:05:36 AM

23. I also think the headline is unfair and misrepresents what he said. I expect better from this site.

Posted by: Greg | Feb 11, 2010 10:06:56 AM

24. D1GN4N:

There really is not a way to read this story as something other than a display of bigotry. Mayer claims to have been bothered because Hilton was acting too gay, right? That means he's not as gay-friendly as you thought he was, doesn't it?

I still prefer John Mayer to Perez Hilton, and I don't think anyone other than Hilton himself views him as a community leader or victim. It's still not okay for Mayer to call gay men "fags" in an effort to prove how cool he is.

And it's not okay for gay men to send the message that acting the way he has should be laughed off. Mayer doesn't think he's racist or homophpbic. He is obviously both.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Feb 11, 2010 10:12:21 AM

25. I had a straight guy grab and kiss me at a party to prove he's cool, but I felt violated. The problem is that straight guys think that we are up to kiss and have sex with ANY other male, and that just is not true at all.

Posted by: Glennn | Feb 11, 2010 10:14:17 AM