John Mayer | Kiss | News

John Mayer's Only Gay Kiss Was a Pretend 'Fag' Bashing

Mayer  More from the John Mayer Playboy interview I posted about in the news round-up yesterday. Here he's asked if he's ever kissed a man:

"The only man I’ve kissed is Perez Hilton. It was New Year’s Eve and I decided to go out and destroy myself. I was dating Jessica [Simpson] at the time, and I remember seeing Perez Hilton flitting about this club and acting as though he had just invented homosexuality. All of a sudden I thought, I can outgay this guy right now. I grabbed him and gave him the dirtiest, tongue-iest kiss I have ever put on anybody—almost as if I hated fags. I don’t think my mouth was even touching when I was tongue kissing him, that’s how disgusting this kiss was. I’m a little ashamed. I think it lasted about half a minute. I really think it went on too long.

Comments

1. d1gn4n, I think that your defense of John Mayer's use of the word faggot as not unlike Palin defending Limbaugh's use of the word retard.

It's never ok to use these words casually, and, if anything, his careless use of them is indicative of his character.

It's ok if you're friends with a homophobe. Just stop trying to defend a quality of his character that doesn't exist.

Posted by: JonBenet | Feb 11, 2010 10:16:48 AM

2. I have to wonder what he was on during that interview. Or is he intentionally trying to tank his career? The more he speaks, the stranger I realize he is...

Posted by: DR | Feb 11, 2010 10:24:22 AM

3. It seems appropriate to me that John Mayer's punishment for being a megalomaniacal douche is having his tongue in that disgusting, self-loathing Perez Hilton's mouth.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Feb 11, 2010 10:43:03 AM

4. Right, he's phobic:

Posted by: Greg | Feb 11, 2010 10:43:31 AM

5. Greg, so what if he danced in a gay bar? That's like the entire history of the Cotton Club. Don't mistake paternalism for love.

Posted by: zeta | Feb 11, 2010 10:51:26 AM

6. Greg:

Yeah, he's phobic in that quote, too. Basically says gay bars are fun because gay men are less masculine than straight men, doesn't he? Then is apparently offended that people claim he was getting kissed by guys.

Read the actual words. He's cute, I like some of his songs, he thinks he's cool, he's a bigot.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Feb 11, 2010 10:59:18 AM

7. Landon: Um, no. He says what he says, not what you say he says. Really. I've seen a lot of agenda-driven misrepresentation but you're not even close to the original text! Or maybe it's just incredibly poor reading comprehension skills. In either case, what he said was _positive_, and he wasn't offended that people thought he was getting kissed by guys because it made _him_ look bad, he was offended because it made the guys in the dance club appear disrespectful and out of control when it was exactly the opposite.

Posted by: Greg | Feb 11, 2010 11:19:57 AM

8. @Landon Bryce: "I remember seeing Perez Hilton flitting about this club and acting as though he had just invented homosexuality." It doesn't take much parsing to realize that Mayer was not, as you claim, "bothered because Hilton was acting too gay". That's not what those words mean. Indeed, a more straightforward reading would suggest that he was irked by Perez Hilton's sense that he speaks for or represents a single, "authentic" homosexuality.

I'm not defending Mayer, whose interview shows just what a douchebag he is, but I don't think we need to overstate what's actually going on.

Mayer buries himself in the interview, he doesn't need any help.

Posted by: BCLance | Feb 11, 2010 11:25:11 AM

9. Mr. Mayer has quickly lost his teeter-totter charm with me. I don't think I could get through this article, I haven't read the whole thing, with out truly despising him. I read another excerpt from this article and he calls his penis, not him, a white supremacist. Going on in a truly distasteful manner.

He truly has some issues that he needs to deal with in a not so public manner. He's unwittingly becoming a very ugly person.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 11, 2010 12:19:32 PM

10. He's only kissed ONE man? Wow, is he serious? How stupid does he think some of us are? I've seen him make out with dudes in clubs more than ONCE.

He should have really kept his mouth shut.

Posted by: Marcus | Feb 11, 2010 12:31:06 PM

11. Let's play a little game:

Substitute Kanye West everywhere it says John Mayer.

Now what do you apologists for Mayer think?

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Feb 11, 2010 12:38:12 PM

12. the headline is misleading- there was no Fag bashing involved, Perez was just lucky that he is so queeny.

Posted by: ty | Feb 11, 2010 1:00:39 PM

13. I don't know. I think this is a non-issue.
    He talks without thinking (that he thinks with his dick is also well documented), but is he homophobic or into gay bashing-- uh, no.

Not sure why this blog on one day celebrates him (he's been in countless posts that glorify his body, his tats, his love of gay people) and then shoots him down like this.

Make up your mind!

Posted by: rob | Feb 11, 2010 1:28:41 PM

14. Douche

Posted by: Dhani Darko | Feb 11, 2010 1:38:00 PM

15. This guy's an talentless asshole. The same people what defend him get that frisson thinking about gay for payers kicking the shit out of them in disgust after they allow them to give them a blowjob. Sad sorry sacks.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 11, 2010 1:50:31 PM

16. Greg:

Both you and John seem to think the idea that a man might have kissed John Mayer is inherently offensive. And anybody who says they acted as though "they hated fags" has issues with respecting gay men.

BClance:
    I think you are bending over backwards to give Mayer's words a benign reading. Certainly he himself acts as though he invented heterosexuality-- are you going to claim he could possibly be justified in taking offense at someone else's display of sexuality?

He not only HAS a David Duke dick, he IS a David Duke dick.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Feb 11, 2010 2:39:34 PM

17. @ Landon / JonBenet : Like I said in my original comment, I do not condone his or anyone else's use of derogatory terms.

Mayer is hyper-self-aware and you can certainly ascribe some personality flaws to him (he is human). However, I just happen to believe from personal experience that homophobia and racism are not part of the Mayer make-up.

Again, the interview was pretty much a disaster (obvs), but the TMZ-minded public's desire to grossly mischaracterize a celebrity is simply offbase here.

Posted by: d1gn4n | Feb 11, 2010 4:45:59 PM

18. So he smokes pot, so I can understand his rambling.

But what's his obsession with the gay world. I mean he did go dancing at TOUCAN'S TIKI LOUNGE in Palm Springs.

And this whole kiss is pissing off Perez Hilton (I know he's a douche bag, too) ... but check this radio interview he had on "Is John Mayer Gay":

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 11, 2010 6:11:43 PM

19. The thing about kissing straight guys is that most of them suck at it. (I've attracted my fair share of straight guys over the years thanks to ecstasy and alcohol.) Gays and women tend to be much better kissers.

That said, I don't give a flying crap about John Mayer and his issues. He seems desperate for attention (and, as someone else said, is desperate to be liked), and most people like that will take it wherever they can get it. So he kissed Perez Hilton to take him down a peg; I can't object, nor can I really care.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 11, 2010 6:41:47 PM

20. Derek Washington, don't even have to use Kanye's name. Try 'Mel Gibson'. I know what point you're driving at, and I agree with it. I'd like to hear from Jews, Jews who are horrified that another Jew invoked David Duke and white supremacy. Nevermind why, just the invocations themselves. Where are they? Can;t wait to read those essays. How long should I wait?

The black woman truly is the most despised creature on the planet. Thanks, Holly Robinson-Peete. The unattractive homosexual is third. Thanks, all gays who think its ok for what Mayer did (lie, deny, and lie some more) just because Perez Hilton was on the receiving end.

Posted by: zeta | Feb 12, 2010 7:08:00 AM

21. Landon Bryce, I agree with you. Given what's been written about Mayer in the past, it's all coming together. I agree with your assessment. Looks like some gays have taken the Holly Robinson Peete ('I'm in the good section!') stance, though. Any compliment is a compliment to be cherished, even when its backhanded.

Tank, I hope less people are like that (filled with so much guilt for enjoying being gay that they enjoy being punished for being gay, more), now that being out of the closet is more acceptable.

Posted by: zeta | Feb 12, 2010 7:15:17 AM

22. He can do no wrong; to me it is amusing to see what he comes up with next.

Posted by: Jeff Dunivant | Mar 16, 2010 8:48:30 AM

23. Belated, I know, but it seems that Mayer just likes to bolster his own self confidence by one-upping 'easy targets'. I'd love to see him try to take on someone who wasn't considered marginal by mainstream society, because then he would be forced to realize how marginal he himself is. Stupid pedo.

Posted by: Skruffs | Sep 7, 2011 5:01:02 PM