Missouri University Board Member Resigns Over ‘Fag Lion’ Remark

Missouri Southern State University board member David Ansley has resigned following uproar (so to speak) over his characterization of the school's former mascot logo as a "fag lion," the Joplin Globe reports:

Missouri "During Saturday’s retreat, MSSU Athletic Director Jared Bruggeman was discussing changes the athletics department has made to give a more consistent appearance, including revamping the school’s lion logo before the start of the 2007-08 school year.

Ansley voiced his approval for the change during the meeting by saying, 'We went from the f– lion to the ferocious lion.'

Board Chairman Rod Anderson immediately looked at reporters who were covering the retreat meeting at the university and said, 'That’s off the record.'"

Ansley resigned Monday, following the formation of a Facebook group calling for him to quit:

"In a written statement Monday, Ansley apologized to students, faculty, staff and administrators for any offense, and expressed remorse for his actions.

'I have always thought of myself as a tolerant man,' he wrote. 'Yet the fact that I spontaneously made the comment has caused me pause. Personally, I am conducting introspection. My goal is to examine my own prejudices with the hope of renewed tolerance. I hope to be a better person because of all this.'

A faculty adviser for a student group advocating equal rights on campus said Ansley’s resignation will not make the issue of sexual orientation discrimination disappear."

Comments

1. Chitown Kev says

Yeah, he said he was wrong, that he will examine himself, and that he will change his behavior to the best of his ability.

It sounds if if he ain’t sorry simply because he got caught.

Apology accepted.

2. Jonathan says

Wouldn’t the LGBT faculty, staff and students of Missouri Southern State University been better served by having a man who’s recently had his eyes opened to the casual homophobia rampant in our society remain on the board?

His resignation sends a terrible message, that not only no mistakes of political correctness will be tolerated, but that no growth from unenlightened to enlightened on these issues will be recognized. If you aren’t linguistically pure from the day you show up on the public front, you’ll be booted.

Oh, and the faculty staff and students of Missouri Southern State University would be better served by a less cumbersome school name, as well.

3. TampaZeke says

It is so rare and so welcome these days to hear a person make a sincere and thoughtful apology after using a homophobic slur.

I have no doubt that Mr. Ansley is sincere and that he will take the time for introspection that he stated.

Mr. Ansley, you are clearly a gentleman who made a grave error in judgment. Hopefully this unfortunate incident will make you a better person. Even more importantly, maybe others will take note of your humility and your journey toward betterment and will be encouraged to consider their own subtle, and not so subtle, prejudices. If that happens, this incident will be turned into a positive.

4. sparks says

Dunno. “I am conducting introspection” sounds a little too scripted and contrived.

I’d like to introduce Mr. Ansley to Gareth Thomas on the field… see if a little introspection with a gay rugby player changes how he feels about using “fag” as a synonym for weak.

5. Scott says

I think he should lose his job, not for making the comment, but for making it in front of fucking reporters. Jesus what a tard.

And that is a pretty faggy lion, I have to admit.

6. Daily says

Really, genuinely offensive statement, followed by a thoughtful, genuine apology.

I’m not impressed with the chair saying Ansley’s statement was “off the record.” No dice. MSSU is a public university and needs to be transparent.