Vampire Weekend Band Member is Gay

Vampire

Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij apparently came out of the closet when he talked to OUT magazine about introducting a "homosexual perspective" into some of the band's songs, and told the magazine that the band's track "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" from their 2009 debut is a gay pop anthem.

Says Batmamglij: “With that song I was having fun, but at the same time it was honest — those lyrics are meaningful to me, they come from my heart. I was disappointed when it didn’t become a gay anthem, but, you know, it’s not too late.”

Previously…
Watch: Jake Gyllenhaal Showcases Stripper Talents in New Vampire Weekend Video [tr]

Comments

1. John says

Not surprising and makes perfect sense. On “Wolcott” they sing about “bears out in Provincetown”! Another reason to like one of the most innovative bands today.

2. Christopher says

Wow, I downloaded their first release and HATED it. They sounded like spoiled rich kids singing about summers in the Vineyard. But I will give the track in mention another listen.

But gay anthem? I’m skeptical

3. Jason says

They ARE spoiled rich kids singing about summers in the Vineyard… that’s the whole point. The cultural specificity of it is kind of what makes VW interesting–blueblood Ivy league northeasterners writing genteel pop songs over afrobeat-derived rhythms. I realize it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but as someone who loves specificity of place/culture in bands/songs (I was a huge Britpop fan in the ’90s, for example, and I adore the domestic suburban vignettes of bands like Squeeze and Fountains of Wayne), VW really hit the spot.

4. says

I liked the debut for about five minutes and then I got bored. I did think Walcott was wonderful. But it just didn’t have a lot of staying power for me.

I also don’t find them innovative at all. I find acts like Owen Pallett (formerly Final Fantasy), Joanna Newsom, Bjork, Dirty Projectors, St. Vincent, Antony and the Johnsons, and The Knife to be a lot more innovative in terms of challenging listeners and pushing the envelope in terms of songwriting, arrangement/production and vocals.

And as far as genteel pop goes, I think Grizzly Bear and Beach House have the market cornered pretty well. That said, Pitchfork loved the 2nd Vampire Weekend album so I may need to give that a listen and see if it’s any good.

5. Jon B says

LOVE VAMPIRE WEEKEND!!! I’m kind of excited about this coming out… even though it’s not terribly surprising. I mean, indie rockers from Columbia University… one was bound to be gay.

6. peterparker says

I loathe Vampire Weekend, but I’d be his boyfriend any day he’d have me…he is cuuuuuuuute!

@ALEX: I agree with you that Sigur Ros’ keyboardist is dreamy. They are also a great band.

7. says

Confused here, I thought this was old news. One of the songs off the new album, which Batmanglij co-wrote, goes:

“That night I smoked a joint
    With my best friend
    We found ourselves in bed
    When I woke up he was gone

He was the diplomat’s son
    It was ‘81″

Pretty clear to me (except the ’81 part since he is too young for that to be the case, but whatever)…

8. says

Isn’t it hilarious how some commenters love mentioning the obscure in some postings and then in others they love posting a “who?” in regards to those on brink of stardom.

I think it is hilarious, personally.

9. sTANKy says

TANK is well aware of his piece of shit status.

How could he not be?

Reading his comments, just consider the source.

Be thankful that douche bags that large are few and far between.

Next.

10. sTANKy says

I try not to take the suggestions of douche bags but thanks anyway.

Um……eat shit and die? LOL Tank. How tired.

What are you a 12-year-old girl and it’s 1988?