Comments

1. voet says

This ad is offensive. Sometimes shock can be used to get a point across. However, imagine the outrage that would ensue if someone shot a spot where the character used the “n” word to combat racism, or the “c” word to counter misogyny? Also, the FA needs to realize that it will take more than one spot to change a culture that routinely uses such language with impunity.

2. TANK says

Um, have any of you ever attended a football game? You probably understand it as soccer…but have you? Those claiming it’s offensive, or whatnot? Um…get an education by attending one. “get aids and die, fag” is a pretty tame harrangue coming from a fan.

3. terry says

The ad is superbly done. It is supposed to be offensive, as is homophobic behavior. We’re looking into a different culture with British football, lots of parallels with the U.S. situation here; but unless we’ve lived there or are students of the U.K., we won’t get the important nuances. Their fans are sometimes rabidly out of control, to the point where people get killed. Show the commercial soon.

4. Chitown Kev says

@Tank

Yes, I have been to many sporting events…

With this ad, at a professional game you would have to show it very, very early before folks get drunk, otherwise it would be more liable to incite the drunk hooligans at an English OR an American football game. And, yeah, it can get pretty nasty.

And all of that is assuming that they aren’t already drunk when they arrive at the game.

5. Mort says

At first I thought it a bit over the top. Then I understood: It needed to be in order to make that man look as ridiculous to those who’d behave that way as overt bigots appear to everyone else. Well done.

6. terry says

Show this on the public television airwaves, not at the sporting stadiums–for all the reasons already articulated. Let it be discussed in the homes and schools and churches–so that real transformation can have a chance to happen.

7. Jason says

I draw a parallel to Autralian HIV/AIDS ads where they were the first nation to successfully get men to wear rubbers! Those ads are scary, in your face and to the point. You can’t sidle up to some English queer hater and gently tug his heart strings to get him to stop being a prick. You tell him firmly to shut the F*¢* up! Society in general needs to get messages in many ways. Some ways are easy to hear and others are difficult.

8. Alan Perkal says

Hello,

My name is Alan Perkal , Publishers Relations at Adfunky.

Adfunky is an adnetwork with headquarters in New York, United States, and sales offices in different Latin American countries, which allows us to effectively monetize the inventory of the region. We also work with agencies and direct clients around the world, so we can manage all your traffic.

I wish I could talk to you and tell you a little more about Adfunky. There are several advertisers who may be interested in displaying their ads on your site. Please let me know when is better for you to schedule a conference call and see what kind of campaign and type of business are more convenient for you. You can also send me an e-mail and I will explain our business and send information to get started.
    My contacts are together with the signature.

Regards,