CA State Senator Arrested After Leaving Gay Club

Ashburn California State Senator Roy Ashburn, who has "a history of opposing gay rights," was arrested in Sacramento early Wednesday morning for driving under the influence after a CHP officer spotted his SUV weaving in and out of traffic. According to the local CBS affiliate, Ashburn, a divorced father with four daughters, was with an unidentified male passenger. It's also being reported that he had just left Faces, a gay club in the Sacramento.

Ashburn issued this boilerplate apology:

"I am deeply sorry for my actions and offer no excuse for my poor judgment. I accept complete responsibility for my conduct and am prepared to accept the consequences for what I did. I am also truly sorry for the impact this incident will have on those who support and trust me – my family, my constituents, my friends, and my colleagues in the Senate."

We'll have to wait and see if he'll talk about this on his local radio talk show this weekend.

Comments

1. Tee. Hee.

Bastard got busted, serves him right. Now let's see if he asks God for forgiveness or explains that he just was trying to talk his "passenger into becoming an Ex-Gay and had to drink to make being a Gay bar a little easier to deal with while he counseled this fellow."

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Mar 4, 2010 9:48:38 AM

2. Maybe he was just there for the music.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 4, 2010 9:52:29 AM

3. HA HA HA, a bigot ass Republican. Just shows to go ya.

Posted by: SONNIE | Mar 4, 2010 9:54:31 AM

4. Whoa! SHOCKER!!!

"Ashburn, a father of four, is a Republican Senator representing parts of Kern, Tulare and San Bernardino Counties with a history of opposing gay rights."

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Mar 4, 2010 10:19:05 AM

5. How about an apology to the gay community? Oh yeah you are not man enough for that.

Posted by: Rafael | Mar 4, 2010 10:20:56 AM

6. While it isn't shown that he was at Faces, merely alleged, the fact he had a male passenger was telling. He also seems overly apologetic about DUI, which isn't quite up there with murder, though it's often fatal to careers. Was he at Faces to conduct 'research' for his show??? Probably yes and no.

Posted by: anon | Mar 4, 2010 10:24:02 AM

7. Joe.My.God has recollected Ashburn's anti-gay record here:

Posted by: Gast | Mar 4, 2010 10:32:18 AM

8. Cliché much?

I’ll be glad when all these self-loathing hypocrites finally die out (both literally and figuratively).

Posted by: ichabod | Mar 4, 2010 10:33:43 AM

9. Kudos to the California Highway Patrol for having the balls and integrity to arrest a state senator driving a state vehicle.

In some places a person in this position would be given a "courtesy warning" or some such bullshit.

Posted by: L.J. | Mar 4, 2010 10:33:59 AM

10. SO typical!

The phobes are ALL closet cases.

EVERY

SINGLE

ONE!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 4, 2010 10:40:10 AM

11. Wow! Now there is an asshole if I ever did see!

Posted by: Marc | Mar 4, 2010 11:02:16 AM

12. From now on, EVERY homophobe should be asked, especially the politicians:

"Are you gay? I ask because every politician who hates gays is closeted himself. I give you a few examples ... So I close by asking you in a better way, why do you show so much hate toward gays when you yourself are gay?"

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 4, 2010 11:05:43 AM

13. another closet self hating homophobe cums out so to speak. isn't it amazing how many gay republicans there really is. next comment is " i didn't know it was a gay club and the passenger will be his aide. lying, god wouldn't like that

Posted by: walter | Mar 4, 2010 11:14:58 AM

14. This is why I firmly believe in the policy of "OUTING"!

Posted by: HONESTY | Mar 4, 2010 11:28:24 AM

15. This is so frustrating! Yet it's typical.
    These MoFo's holier than thou Republicans that want to limit the equal rights of others yet they are the first ones to be doing their dirty work behind closed doors! That's probably why they keep things as illegal and immoral because if more people accepted the normalcy of Homosexuality it would force them to live in the light of day and own up to who they really are. There wouldn't be any place for them in an open and equal society. They would no longer have dark corners to hide in and so they wouldn't be able to continue to get their "Kicks" in secret. All homosexuals would be living equally (not that there arent millions already doing so) and that would make it harder for them to find willing participants in their rendezvous. Also I really hope that his wife doesn't stick by him because I'm so tired of these Wives of Politicians standing by thier corupt and immoral husbands! I mean what kind of message does that sent to women?

Posted by: E | Mar 4, 2010 11:32:57 AM

16. I couldn't post anything sooner because I had to put my clothes in the washer because (drum roll please)

"I PEED MY PANTS LAUGHING!!!!!"

Posted by: jtramon | Mar 4, 2010 11:41:05 AM

17. I hope he is scorned by all his fellow Repulicans.
    There are two types of homophobes... self-loathers and people who just plain hate us and want us dead.
    This guy belongs to the former and even if he did apologize and came out.. too little too late. It won't undo all the damage you help to create due to your self-hatred

Posted by: Zach | Mar 4, 2010 11:42:35 AM

18. Faces isn't even that hip anymore. It's more fun at Badlands.

Posted by: HomoDM | Mar 4, 2010 11:45:08 AM

19. I had to go to the news article itself to find out this guy is a Republican. I took it for granted he was, of course, but this information should be confirmed within the first few words of your post, if not in the title. Arguably, it's the single most important point of the entire piece.

Posted by: ohplease | Mar 4, 2010 11:54:17 AM

20. Bottoms up!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 4, 2010 12:00:39 PM

21. His wife isn't sticking by him - The gay hating closet case is already divorced...

I place bets the wife had already caught him taking it up the ass (while wearing her cocktail gown and good pearls) and she decided to get out with a fat settlement package and closed lips about the subject... because she hates gays as much as he does.
    Finding out your married to a Mo hating Mo can be very tough on a relationship like theirs.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 4, 2010 12:04:50 PM

22. to Crispy: not the music....

Roy A: "I was in there for a game of Pool. I was looking for the table everywhere. I was even on my knees ... (!) ... Hands and Knees looking for it..."

Posted by: WilDGuy | Mar 4, 2010 12:32:55 PM

23. Out them all. I'll drink to that.

Posted by: Timzilla | Mar 4, 2010 1:04:40 PM

24. SHITHEAD!

Posted by: Martin FLL | Mar 4, 2010 1:13:56 PM

25. Another closeted Republican...

This isn't news.