Film | Florida | News | Transgender

CNN to Air Documentary on Transition of Susan Stanton

Susan

Folks who have been reading this site for a while may recall the story of Largo, Florida City Manager Steve Stanton, who was fired in March 2007 after disclosing that he was in the process of making a gender identity transition.

Stanton In particular you may remember a contentious hearing at which Stanton and his team testified for more than two hours before the City Commission and at which Equality Florida executive director Nadine Smith was arrested for handing out flyers that said, "Don't Discriminate".

Stanton himself spoke for 30 minutes, saying "I'm asking you to realize I'm still the same person today that I was four weeks ago. I'm asking you to judge me on my qualifications and performance and the fact that this organization is the best-run organization in Pinellas County." Neither Stanton's testimony or that of approximately 100 others who came to testify could save Stanton's job. The commission voted to uphold their (5-2) decision to fire him.

CNN is airing Her Name Was Steven, a documentary about Stanton's transition, this Saturday and Sunday at 8 pm.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It's absolutely FUCKING REPREHENSIBLE that so many people still feel so enabled by this culture to blatantly discriminate against the transgendered.

I'm glad CNN is broadcasting this story. Maybe it will open a few eyes to the total bullshit that trans folk have to deal with daily.

Posted by: elcamino | Mar 11, 2010 6:15:15 PM

2. Stanton was very homophobic as a city manager and treated gay employees horribly. He was another Roy Ashburn, just on a lower level and smaller scale.

In spite of knowing this I, with a delegation from my church, went to the hearing and presented a resolution against firing him based on his gender identity.

There were many good reasons that he should have been fired; his gender identity wasn't one of them.

I hope Susan has found peace within herself, and happiness in her new life and

I hope we soon see the day when people struggling with internal conflicts over their orientation/identity will stop finding ways to hurt, and make life more difficult for, others who have their own struggles to deal with.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 11, 2010 6:26:07 PM

3. I can't understand how someone can be with you everyday and then you find out something about them that doesn't hurt anyone else, and you decide he/she must be fired.

Whatever happened to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Isn't that the American Dream?

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Mar 11, 2010 6:46:22 PM

4. a few years back one of our engineers revealed through an office memo from our general manager that she was making the transition and unlike a lot of people who have the courage to confront this life changing event, was choosing to stay with the company rather than leave and start somewhere fresh, while she went through the process of living as a woman and then eventually undertaking the surgery to complete her journey. the letter encouraged everyone to support her and offered not only her being available for discussions about it, but also the general managers offer to discuss it with anyone who should feel they need to know more or had issues they wished to raise, there were also links to articles online that explained everything...no one had any isssues, in fact it brought the entire company of around 200+ people closer and made us feel like a big family who were privelaged to share in her journey...end result she still works with us, we still love her like we always did and we feel lucky that she had enough faith and trust in us to share the reality of her decisions and life with all of us....why shouldn't everyone be given that sort of respect???

Posted by: benjamin | Mar 11, 2010 11:13:33 PM

5. Of course nothing is ever simple, or black and white, but this just seems so fucking unfair.

Posted by: Pieter Hugo | Mar 12, 2010 3:49:46 AM

6. Why the gay media keep saying "he" when talking about a transgender woman, while at the same time denouncing discrimination is the most ironical manifestation of hypocrisy ever.

Apparently, discrimination, mcokery and lack of respect are only wrong when they concern gay people. The rest of the time it's justified because you know, these people, they're fucking freaks (not like us. at least since 1973)

ps: Im a gay man

Posted by: James | Mar 12, 2010 7:43:56 AM

7. To add to my comment above, reform efforts at the legislative level might not fare so well now, but a court challenge might be the impetus for change.

Posted by: Wholesale New Era Hats | Sep 21, 2011 12:04:29 AM

8. Thank you for take the time to share with it,And this blog is very useful for me,I just looking for this post which it is very useful for me.Thank you.Have a nice day!

Posted by: discount juicy couture | Oct 19, 2011 9:04:14 AM