Education | Gay Youth | Georgia | News

BigGayDeal.com

Georgia High School Approves Gay Prom Date

Derrick

As it should be:

Bleckley "After asking Bleckley County school officials permission in January to take another boy to the prom, [Derrick] Martin got word last week that his high school will allow it. Bleckley’s prom is April 17 in the high school cafeteria. “I didn’t expect them to say yes. It’s who I am. I have the same rights,” he said. “It’s my senior prom and I wanted to be able to prove not everyone would cancel prom.” Martin is an honor student who tutors at-risk elementary and middle school students after school. He also has a full scholarship to college. He said he knew the move would be controversial for the town of about 5,200 residents. At his high school, prom dates from outside counties must be approved in advance, so Martin went to his principal and asked. “At first she said no, Cochran wasn’t ready for it,” he said. But then last week, school officials said they have no policy in place against it."

Even with permission granted, Martin still has concerns: "He worries about the attention that the prom 'walk through,' in which the school announces each senior’s name and the date’s name, will draw attention to him and his date. 'I’ll take out insurance on my tux,' he said, half-jokingly...The Cochran community said it’s surprising. 'I think a lot of people will stare,' said Miranda Taylor, an employee at a Wendy’s restaurant. Security will be on hand at the dance, school officials said."

A brave kid. Good luck to him.

Meanwhile, in Mississippi...

Comments

1. nice to hear that..

in related topic, he looks eerily like brent corrigan..

Posted by: jannho | Mar 23, 2010 9:27:37 AM

2. Fabulousness Knows No Age!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 23, 2010 9:36:02 AM

3. I am *SO* proud of Derrick ... AND ... *SO* proud of the Bleckley County school officials ... this, in my humble opinion, is the type of values that this country was founded upon ...

Posted by: Lou Partridge | Mar 23, 2010 10:01:49 AM

4. there are heroes all around us. you go, boy.

Posted by: nic | Mar 23, 2010 10:05:36 AM

5. Awww he's adorkable!

He definitely has a Brandon Routh vibe going on. I'm wagering he's going to be a hottie! Can we please fast-forward 10 years and have a little look-see?

Posted by: sparks | Mar 23, 2010 10:06:12 AM

6. Sparks, thanks for keeping it real. didn't take long for this to become about looks.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 23, 2010 10:11:45 AM

7. He is adorable and a very brave kid. He deserves our gratitude.

The officials who approved it, though, boy; they're the ones that are gonna hear about it.

Posted by: JeffRob | Mar 23, 2010 10:22:38 AM

8. Lesbians demanding to go to the prom with their girlfriends in MISSISSIPPI? Gay young men demanding to go to the prom with their boyfriends in GEORGIA? 500 high school students showing up to a pro-gay protest in LOUISIANA?

If ANYONE had a doubt about whether or not we are winning the so-called "culture war" this should remove ALL doubt. When the DEEPEST of the deep south starts to fall, IT'S OVER!

Maggie Gallager, pay real close attention. Your days are numbered. You better pass as much anti-gay legislation as you can in the next five years because that's about as long as you have before your base reaches a breaking point from die off and our base becomes the majority.

As a native Mississippian I could NOT be more proud of these kids. I am blown away by the courage and passion that these young people are displaying. HEROES ALL!

We are quickly coming to a new day in the gay rights movement. Direct action activism is finally made a comeback. We are FINALLY recovering from the loss to AIDS of an entire generation of activists. I for one am LOVING it.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 23, 2010 10:31:18 AM

9. He's brave and adorable. Go on with your bad self, kid.

Posted by: The Milkman | Mar 23, 2010 10:31:53 AM

10. Absolutely Wonderful. Times are def. changing.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 23, 2010 10:39:30 AM

11. I wish this kid well..and ALL the Luck...tho he sounds like he has a Good Head on his shoulders and a supportive family...awsome!!! I wish I would have had the courage to "come out" in HS....tho it was a ifferent time 76 to 79....only my best friend knew I was "Bi" or so I tried to convince myself then....I mean geez..I should have just KNOWN..I dated 2 girls in HS - one was a Lori Gay (real name), and a Mindy Mann.....Helloooo, if that wasn't a clue....LOL hence: Gay man...anyways - best of luck to this young man, he sounds like he is on the right path to a Bright Future..besides bein a cutie for his age.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 23, 2010 10:40:08 AM

12. @JEFFROB Which is why we all should send the school a note of support. I can only imagine how much hate mail they're going to receive over this.

Posted by: DW | Mar 23, 2010 10:41:22 AM

13. sounds like a good kid,hope he and his date have FUN!

Posted by: sal | Mar 23, 2010 10:50:54 AM

14. "As it should be"

I don't agree, I don't think a gay kid should have to ask permission just as a straight one doesn't.

Posted by: queerunity | Mar 23, 2010 10:56:56 AM

15. @QUEERUNITY I thought the same thing at first, but if you read the article ANY student who wants to bring a date from outside the county has to ask permission before hand.

Posted by: ichabod | Mar 23, 2010 11:16:34 AM

16. Here’s the contact info for Bleckley County High School should anyone want to join in a show of support:

(P) 478-934-6258
    (F) 478-934-9707

I sent the following e-mail:

I want to commend the school officials of Bleckley County for allowing Derek Martin to bring his date to the prom.

Though I understand that there are rules in place where students need to ask permission to bring dates from outside the county, I applaud your decision in that it makes the fact that Mr. Martin wants to bring another male student a complete non-issue (which is certainly should be).

Mr. Martin seems like a great kid and is obviously the product of a school system that values the contributions of ALL of its students.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Posted by: ichabod | Mar 23, 2010 11:20:19 AM

17. Queerunity,

From the way it reads, his date is from outside the county and school policy requires all students (gay and straight) with such dates to request permission.

It also seems he has some trepidations, so it's probably a wise move on his part so that the administration isn't caught by surprise and can better accommodate Derrick and his date.

That said, I wish Derrick the best of luck in all his future endeavors and hope he has a great time at his prom.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Mar 23, 2010 11:24:47 AM

18. Where was this awesome, cute kid at my high school prom???

I had to take the fat girl...

Posted by: KC | Mar 23, 2010 11:31:14 AM

19. A truly brave kid!

Posted by: Rhea | Mar 23, 2010 12:08:18 PM

20. If Maggie's days are numbered, it's probably more because of adult-onset diabetes than anything.

Posted by: jm | Mar 23, 2010 12:16:57 PM

21. But why does he need to ask permission in the first place? Just go together. Simple.

Posted by: Jman | Mar 23, 2010 12:27:08 PM

22. This story made my morning. I hope he has a great time and the bigots stay home. I think back to my high school days in the 90's and can't even fathom doing something as monumentally brave as him. Just wow.

Posted by: RussellJ | Mar 23, 2010 12:27:33 PM

23. Derrick, be my guest at the Atlanta Gay Men's Chorus concert this weekend. You, your date and your family. Check your FB page. We are SO proud of you!

Posted by: JinAtlanta | Mar 23, 2010 12:29:49 PM

24. dude thats awesome! im 16 and go 2 school in nj..i play 4 my high school football team ..n i jes came out 2 my parents n my teammates ..n it was way scary but worth it. i think ur a tol stud 4 doin this n good luck 2 u n ur bf..hope u have an awesome time at ur prom!

Posted by: rich | Mar 23, 2010 12:47:19 PM

25. *SIGH* Why didn't someone that beautiful ask me to my prom? WHY? [cries buckets of tears] Oh, right, I was a chubby, long-haired stoner closet case who would have punched him if he'd asked. :-( :-(

Good for him, totally agree with Tampazeke's post.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Mar 23, 2010 12:55:41 PM