Bruce LaBruce | Gay Marriage | Karl Lagerfeld | News

Karl Lagerfeld 'Against' the Idea of Gay Marriage

Lagerfeld

An interview with Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld by filmmaker Bruce LaBruce in the current issue of VICE magazine touches briefly on the subject of same-sex marriage. Lagerfeld doesn't believe in it.

LABRUCE: You are against the idea of gay marriage. I totally agree with you on that.
LAGERFELD: Yes, I’m against it for a very simple reason: In the 60s they all said we had the right to the difference. And now, suddenly, they want a bourgeois life.

LABRUCE: It’s normalizing.
LAGERFELD: For me it’s difficult to imagine—one of the papas at work and the other at home with the baby. How would that be for the baby? I don’t know. I see more lesbians married with babies than I see boys married with babies. And I also believe more in the relationship between mother and child than in that between father and child.

LABRUCE: I take it you don’t want children.
LAGERFELD: If I were interested in children, I would be a godfather—or a godmother. I don’t like the idea of taking people out of their lives and their contexts. If there were a child I wanted to adopt, I would try to find the family of the child and give them the money for an education in his life and his context.

Lagerfeld also says he is ignorant of homophobic violence: "I never met anything like this in my life. I had an overprotected life. What can I fight about? I don’t know what to do. It never happened to me, and it never happened to people I know."

Comments

1. What can he fight about?

Well, he can fight about ending sentences with prepositions.

He could also fight about what that plastic surgeon did to him.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 16, 2010 6:29:51 PM

2. I read the interview. It was way too long. Don't they have editors at Vice? The only thing that made the article interesting is that Lagerfeld is a classic case study in narcissitic personality disorder. He is truly one for the textbooks. That is why he can not understand either the concept of love or the idea of marriage.

Posted by: george | Mar 16, 2010 6:36:12 PM

3. Two cosseted plonkers meet and discuss. Bruce La Bruce is an arrested adolescent and Largerfeld walks between the raindrops,

What the fuck do either of them know about real life?

Posted by: elcamino | Mar 16, 2010 6:37:56 PM

4. I love each and every one of these comments! "Let them eat cake"! Spot on!

Posted by: Vince B. | Mar 16, 2010 6:40:01 PM

5. Well outside of the whole legal benefits of marriage I couldn't agree with him more about marriage. Since when was it so important for gay and lesbians to be like the mothers and fathers that we didn't want to be like when we were growing up? Why are we so determined to be just like everyone else. Once we're integrated there is nothing special about who we are.

As for the violence aspect. I do believe he's missing the point. I think he's envisioning being in a fight VS. someone attacking you.

Then you have the whole aspect of him being wealthy which disenfranchises him from the everyday lives we lead. Some people's comments here are just as ignorant as what they accuse his of being. It's all about perception and clearly everyone is entitled their opinion based on that.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Mar 16, 2010 6:41:29 PM

6. I'm sure Karl lives in a beautiful fantasy world, but it isn't on this planet.

Posted by: Rob West | Mar 16, 2010 6:41:37 PM

7. Karl, maybe not you, but WE are normal.

Don't worry, no one is going to marry you looking like Hannibal Lecter.

Posted by: jon | Mar 16, 2010 6:43:04 PM

8. Isn't the idea of marriage antiquated itself? I don't know. I certainly support equal rights, and I believe that is all we are asking for, but I do see their point regarding not believing in 'gay marriage'. Its not that I don't believe that 2 gay men (or women) can't 'live happily after' but I think that is exactly the point these two are trying to make. We've chosen (or rather been gifted) a unique view of the world and humanity. Are we throwing that all away on the the hope that society will finally accept us?

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 16, 2010 6:44:11 PM

9. @JAKEINLOVE

"Once we're integrated there is nothing special about who we are."

Oh no, how terrible.
    I see you are special.
    Special needs.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 16, 2010 6:46:30 PM

10. Wow. While I may not agree with Karl's opinion, I can respect it. And I think it's totally childish to make attacks on his creativity because of his veiws. The man is an amazing designer, but I guess angry blog readers know fashion better then the boards of Fendi and Chanel... wait, NO, they don't. The man so NOT washed up.

Posted by: Tony Baker | Mar 16, 2010 6:48:04 PM

11. who keeps reanimatimg this dessicated corpse? and whoever does, does he then wipe granny karl's skinny ass and change his diapers?

she should have taken a clue from the debacle that was bette davis's last years. he should have gone away once his vitality and creativity became limp.

Posted by: nic | Mar 16, 2010 6:48:39 PM

12. The point isn't about being normal or being special; the point is that marriage guarantees certain rights for its participants. Rights that are attainable through no other institution or arrangement.

If you think you're not special anymore because you can get married, maybe you were never special in the first place.

Posted by: pParkerT | Mar 16, 2010 6:53:48 PM

13. Je despise.

Posted by: john | Mar 16, 2010 6:54:19 PM

14. @ JAKEINLOVE

If you think that being a disenfranchised homosexual is the only thing that makes you special, then I feel sorry for you. We are special because of who we are and gaining equal protection under the law will not change that.

KL's comments are just as ignorant as any garden variety homophobe. The reply is the same as well: If you don't like gay marriage, then don't get gay married! ;)

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Mar 16, 2010 6:58:45 PM

15. We're supposed to believe that a man who dresses like he does has never heard anyone make an anti-gay comment????

Posted by: BobN | Mar 16, 2010 6:59:35 PM

16. @ Tony - I don't give a flying rat's ass "great" Miss Lagerfeld is in the fashion world. I don't care if that out of touch selfish prick shits gold.

He's an arrogant self centred snob.

Posted by: REYnoldo | Mar 16, 2010 7:00:29 PM

17. This type of dissociation from struggle shows the filthiness of privilege. Gay men like these two should use their privilege to help fight homophobia. And all of us should be allies in struggle against those who want to suppress and control us, women, poor folks, etc. What a sad statement on their part.

Posted by: Michael S. | Mar 16, 2010 7:08:41 PM

18. Hard to argue with such a fucking self-centered moron!

Posted by: John | Mar 16, 2010 7:16:42 PM

19. Ugly on the inside and out.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 16, 2010 7:24:43 PM

20. WHo knew that there were a lot of stupid gay people out there? Oh...wait...I did.

That said, I'm simply destroyed by his lack of commitment to gay equality. Oh kaiser, the whole movement depends upon your musings...Just destroyed...how will I ever overcome this uncle tomassina's thoughtless, glib opinion? Jesus, these people design clothes. I don't care for the opinions of fashion designers when it concerns "idears" and thinking...just cut the clothes and act like a spoiled, over sexed chemed up piece of trash...that's all you're good for.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 16, 2010 7:26:25 PM

21. Well, back in the day those who had any interest in settling down and getting married probably did so...with someone of the opposite sex. These two will have to forgive the rest of us who buy into the bourgeois idea of having a stable relationship.

Posted by: Jimbo | Mar 16, 2010 7:35:04 PM

22. "they want a bourgeois life"

Like, oh, haute couture and high fashion?

They're respective careers are entirely ABOUT being bourgeois.

Good grief, these two are like two hookers accusing others of dabbling in prostitution (not that marriage is prostitution).

Posted by: David | Mar 16, 2010 7:36:48 PM

23. My partner and I are married and have 2 children. I really do not care what these self important, arrogant idiots think. We are too busy creating the future.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 16, 2010 7:41:15 PM

24. It's really no surprise to hear these things from him. For decades, now, Karl Lagerfeld has made a second (or third or fourth) career out of saying ignorant, obnoxious and offensive things. Give him any topic and he will be guaranteed to take a disagreeable position on it.
    I wish I could just be able to appreciate his beautiful work without having to know what an utterly repellent old man he has become living in his rarefied little world.

Posted by: Abie | Mar 16, 2010 7:41:46 PM

25. What's more bourgeois Karl: a couple of married poofs in the suburbs, or a rich old fashion queen snapping crap photos of the male models he lusts after?

Posted by: Jimbo | Mar 16, 2010 7:42:12 PM