Kiss Cut in Kathy Griffin Episode of Law & Order: SVU

Griffin Kathy's Griffin's anticipated appearance on Law & Order SVU aired on NBC last night. In it, the funny lady guest starred as a lesbian activist, a role which was apparently written specifically for her.

A scene in which Griffin leans in and kisses series regular Mariska Hargitay was filmed but did not make the final cut. Instead, in thebroadcast version, Griffin's character makes an attempt to kiss her, but Hargitay pulls back before their lips make contact and informs her that she's straight.

What didn't get cut was this comment which Hargitay makes to a female character about to enter the room and find herself alone with Griffin:"If I were you, I'd stay outside."

Watch the a clip of the final scene after the jump.

Comments

1. The kiss really wasn't needed. It wasn't remotely integral to the plot of what was going on. The comment that Marishka's character made had to do more with just the kiss. Kathy's character was a handful. People really need to get over it. If you want to see a lesbian kiss, watch greys or any of those whore reality shows on VH1.

Posted by: damon | Mar 4, 2010 10:47:16 AM

2. Yet when Kathy's character kissed Stabler at the end that was really needed either, wondering why that kiss made it and the other kiss did not.

Posted by: kujhawker | Mar 4, 2010 10:52:12 AM

3. I'm done with NBC, after their terrible coverage of the Owelympics and now this.

Goodbye!

Posted by: Marc | Mar 4, 2010 11:03:24 AM

4. Odd. I thought the edit was weird but didn't know they actually cut out an actual kiss. How embarrassing for NBC. I hope this show is cancelled after Meloni leaves.

Posted by: Marco | Mar 4, 2010 11:19:24 AM

5. that was completely homophobic, why in the world did Kathy let that happen????

Posted by: Womyn2me | Mar 4, 2010 11:59:26 AM

6. how 1980's

Posted by: niles | Mar 4, 2010 12:33:59 PM

7. Absolutely, the worst episode of SVU. Homophobic writers - of course the dyke kisses the man instead of the woman. NBC I'm done with you and SVU!!

Posted by: Carol Demech | Mar 4, 2010 12:34:24 PM

8. brought to us by NBC, the network that happily showed over and over again video of a luger hitting a beam head-on at 90mph and dying from severe head trauma.

Posted by: UWSGUY | Mar 4, 2010 12:40:18 PM

9. Kathy Griffin is awesome. Script sucks.

Posted by: Dance Lover | Mar 4, 2010 12:41:37 PM

10. I look forward to Kathy's rant over this; she sure isn't the type to let this go!

Posted by: Jack | Mar 4, 2010 12:47:15 PM

11. I love Kathy Griffin. And I'm always drawn into L&O SVU; however, that episode was like a cartoon. The "lesbian pack" were like Ellen Jamesians from the World According to Garp. With every positive comment, there was a stereotypical cartoon of the "lesbian-type" and, then, of course, the proverbial censored kiss. And the burgler on the firescape touch -- very "Columbo" or "Hart to Hart."

Posted by: William | Mar 4, 2010 1:27:48 PM

12. "Hart to Hart"....I miss that show.

Kathy rocks as always. NBC, not so much.

Posted by: Geoff | Mar 4, 2010 1:47:52 PM

13. they should bring Hart to Hart back, stupid NBC and their stupidness!

Posted by: john | Mar 4, 2010 2:34:11 PM

14. Nice way to perpetuate a stereotype.

I think I'm over watching television anymore.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 4, 2010 2:56:33 PM

15. I love Kathy Griffin -- I have seen her live performance, and I never miss her Bravo show. But, last night was a disappointment -- let's just say that Kathy's acting skills are not in the same league as the rest of the "SVU" cast.

The scenes between Mariska and Kathy were just painful to watch -- you could almost see Mariska desperately trying to get anything approximating a performance out of Kathy, and it just wasn't happening.

Posted by: D.B.. | Mar 4, 2010 3:18:38 PM

16. This lesbian killer episode made no sense, like most of their plots, but really should have gotten some attention was an episode shortly before the Olympic break about a straight guy with HIV who was purposefully infecting women, thru rape. Chris Meloni actually pronounced HIV a "death sentence" even as they depicted one of his victims as dying because she "couldn't afford the meds"---this in New York City in 2010. It was all creepy and retro and shamefully uninformed. I was disappointed in the once gay-friendly Meloni (who surely knows better), and the show, which once prided itself on medical and social accuracy. They've been on too long I guess, and are phoning it in. Greed, like misinformation, kills.

Posted by: chuck | Mar 4, 2010 3:51:21 PM

17. Get. Over. It. With or without the kiss, the line that Olivia says at the end of the scene was the same. If you think about it, the kiss makes no sense. Kathy's Character, Babs, was came our of the closet as bisexual. Babs was in a relationship with a man...the guy who got shot in the ass. She was happy (but in the closet) with him so why would she have kissed Olivia? To test her? It makes no sense. Quit being such drama queens and stop saying that you're never going to watch tv ever again because you're so hurt. You know your ass will be watching something else tonight, you're not fooling anyone.

Posted by: Davey | Mar 4, 2010 3:58:55 PM

18. The writers didn't edit out a kiss. The character Olivia is straight. Having her accept a kiss from a crazy person she's protecting would go entirely against the existing character developed for her. 2 big points go out to William for the Ellen Jamesians reference!

Posted by: Vince B. | Mar 4, 2010 4:28:53 PM

19. L&O SVU is the weakest of the L&O franchises and often has trite story lines that try to cram too much into one episode, reducing everything to caricature (the original series, Plain Old L&O, is heading down that road, too).

But last night's episode was a real stinker! On so many levels, not the least of which was the lesbian stereotyping, it was just WRONG. For a brief moment, at the very end, I thought I sensed a we're-doing-this-as-a-camp-episode vibe, but then I realized that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Ick.

Posted by: BobN | Mar 4, 2010 4:50:01 PM

20. I think they lost a lot of gay views especially the lesbian kind, the line; If I were you, I'd stay outside... really not needed... It play to the worst stereotype...gay people as predators unable to control themselves...

Posted by: art | Mar 4, 2010 5:09:41 PM

21. As a lesbian, I'm more perturbed that the writers explicitly made Det. Benson straight than I am at the shoddy storyline. At least when they left her sexuality ambiguous we could fill in the blanks however we wanted. (By pairing Alex and Olivia together, natch).

Posted by: fannie | Mar 4, 2010 5:29:57 PM

22. Script sucked. The kiss was not missed. Why would someone in a relationship, with someone out to kill her, think about kissing a cop protecting her?!?!??!

The crazy lumberjack-looking girlfriend and the crazy yelling "everyone is against me" Kathy character burns my butt. booo

I can still have fantasies about Det. Benson, but did I already say this episope sucked? It SUCKED!

Posted by: Mary | Mar 4, 2010 6:19:40 PM

23. No longer a fan of Kathy for agreeing to this outright bigotry.

Posted by: JKM | Mar 4, 2010 7:52:18 PM

24. JKM, are you serious? She didn't have anything to do with the kiss being cut. If you are going to dismiss her over something she had no control over then you have some serious issues.

Posted by: Davey | Mar 4, 2010 9:47:32 PM

25. Are you joking? Kathy was overheard screaming at the producers to cut the scene because she wasn't "going to be made to look like one of those goddamned people!"

Kathy griffin's as funny as a urinary tract infection!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 4, 2010 10:32:23 PM