I'm Gay

Ricky Martin: 'I am Proud to Say I am a Fortunate Homosexual Man'

Ricky

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet in a statement on his official website:

A few months ago I decided to write my memoirs, a project I knew was going to bring me closer to an amazing turning point in my life. From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And thisis something worth celebrating.

For many years, there has been only one place where I am in touch with my emotions fearlessly and that's the stage. Being on stage fills my soul in many ways, almost completely. It's my vice. The music, the lights and the roar of the audience are elements that make me feel capable of anything. This rush of adrenaline is incredibly addictive. I don't ever want to stop feeling these emotions. But it is serenity that brings me to where I'm at right now. An amazing emotional place of comprehension, reflection and enlightenment. At this moment I'm feeling the same freedom I usually feel only on stage, without a doubt, I need to share.

Many people told me: "Ricky it's not important", "it's not worth it", "all the years you've worked and everything you've built will collapse", "many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature". Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

If someone asked me today, "Ricky, what are you afraid of?" I would answer "the blood that runs through the streets of countries at war...child slavery, terrorism...the cynicism of some people in positions of power, the misinterpretation of faith." But fear of my truth? Not at all! On the contrary, It fills me with strength and courage. This is just what I need especially now that I am the father of two beautiful boys that are so full of light and who with their outlook teach me new things every day. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment.

These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed.

What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution.

I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.

Congratulations Ricky. The truth will set you free.

Comments

1. I just wanted one nice comment on here before all the jaded assholes come out of the woodwork. Good on you, Ricky.

Posted by: Harrison | Mar 29, 2010 6:13:50 PM

2. Make that two. We each come out at our own pace, when it's right for us. Congrats and happiness, Ricky.

Posted by: Liam | Mar 29, 2010 6:16:40 PM

3. You'll continue to do wonderful things for the world, Ricky, and I'm not sure you'll ever know the importance your coming out will have for the lives of many.

Thank you.

(Cue the bitter fug-ass queens...)

Posted by: Derek in Madison | Mar 29, 2010 6:18:15 PM

4. Good on him. It is probably a bit more difficult being latino coming out, and having the machismo baggage with a career to protect. Now if he will ask to be forgiven for singing at the Bush inaugural...

Posted by: canddieinnc | Mar 29, 2010 6:18:26 PM

5. An amazing step in the right direction - for all of us. Congratulations!

Posted by: Neil | Mar 29, 2010 6:20:56 PM

6. Ricky, I give you huge props for being the guy you are. You're a very good looking guy, and you make great music (especially your Spanish ballads), but what impresses me most about you is your behavior. You've acted with integrity and decency throughout your career. You never denied being gay, and you were always respectful to those who tried to inquire into your personal life, and you never made denigrating remarks about gays... like some closeted celebrities. My hat's off to you. Your integrity is what makes you shine even more than all the other great attributes and talents you have.
    Good luck to you, hope to see lots of you in the future.
    Dan in Baltimore

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Mar 29, 2010 6:23:30 PM

7. Good for you, Ricky.....You are a Hero for a lot of people who want to come out.....Congratulations!!!!!

Posted by: Casper | Mar 29, 2010 6:23:48 PM

8. Congratulations Ricky. As beautiful soul on the inside as well as on the outside

Posted by: Esteban | Mar 29, 2010 6:25:16 PM

9. Anyone that criticizes Ricky for coming out the way he did should stand in the mirror and answer themselves if they would do the same thing if in his shoes. It's not up to us to decide when someone wants to tell the world, it's up to that person to let everyone know. I'm glad Ricky came to accepting himself on his own terms. Like Oprah says, "The Truth will set you free!"

Posted by: Craig Mingus | Mar 29, 2010 6:25:22 PM

10. Congratulations Ricky! Coming out was the best thing I ever did...for me and my children! It is your time and the truth will set you free!

Posted by: Richard | Mar 29, 2010 6:32:08 PM

11. Ricky is pretty amazing and I know a few gay guys who could learn a thing or two from him.
    Best of luck Ricky!

Posted by: SeaMonster | Mar 29, 2010 6:34:20 PM

12. Congratulations, Ricky. And only the Best wishes for you and your Family/Friends. Thank you.

Posted by: Reggie | Mar 29, 2010 6:35:56 PM

13. Even though I feel he didn't have to come out to the world, I'm so happy that he did. I have never felt such a warm spot in my heart for someone to come out. I love you Ricky and I hope people will still embrace him.

Posted by: Cajiva | Mar 29, 2010 6:36:40 PM

14. Way to Go! You did the right thing and we are all better for your bravery. One day in the future we will all be free. A man's reputation and heart are so much more important that is sexual orientation. It's all about one's character and humanity not their sexuality.

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Mar 29, 2010 6:37:21 PM

15. Congrats Ricky! I had a feeling it was coming soon. Always a fan.

Posted by: Q | Mar 29, 2010 6:42:22 PM

16. welcome darling. you had me at She Bangs!

Posted by: bob | Mar 29, 2010 6:44:32 PM

17. We were all just waiting for the truth and I for one am glad that have reached a stage where you can be honest to your fans about yourself, if anything people will respect you more for it.

Posted by: Ketan | Mar 29, 2010 6:44:40 PM

18. I just want to say 'Congrats Ricky'. Hopefully you'll get more good than bad as I think its a great thing you've done.

Posted by: Taryn | Mar 29, 2010 6:45:59 PM

19. Thank you Ricky.

Posted by: Schniffy | Mar 29, 2010 6:46:51 PM

20. We can comment again? Woot!

Do you realize how much work I got done today? My boss probably thinks I'm on speed.

And yay, Ricky. Insert "Living La Vida Hombre" joke here.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 29, 2010 6:47:51 PM

21. Boy, this makes the recent Sean Hayes coming out story really lame. Hey Sean, this is how you come out with real will and grace!

Posted by: Rudy | Mar 29, 2010 6:49:15 PM

22. As a gay man who has 2 children, I feel I share some of Ricky's feelings. I had to come out to teach my children that in spite of the hardships, we have to live our lives honestly. Thank you Ricky. You are a man of dignity and inner light and I am sure your children will grow into beautiful human beings.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 29, 2010 6:49:26 PM

23. The lengthy seven paragraph response betrays his ongoing shame and self-loathing.

A simple "I'm Gay" or "I like guys" would have sufficed.

Posted by: MarkDC | Mar 29, 2010 6:50:35 PM

24. He's been inching toward this place of openness for a long time. I'm glad he finally got there. There are far too few closeted male celebrities with enough guts to take the plunge. As an out Gay man (I wonder if by "Gay" he means "bisexual" as so many people seem to do nowadays?), let's hope he presents himself with the same kind of dignity he always has, and not do a "George Michael" on us. His kids should keep him centered and sane.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Mar 29, 2010 6:51:55 PM

25. "When it would have shown real strength of character to say this early in my career, I stayed silent and safe. I built my career while holding the hands of women in public to continue the charade. Now that I have my millions and can do whatever I want, I take the 'brave' step to make this announcement."

The words brave, strong or role-model do not have anything to do with Ricky Martin. He denied and dissembled, perpetuating the message about gays & lesbians that we all want to be something of the past. He played into the hands of the DADT crowd, that we're less than and should remain hidden. Sure, everyone at their own pace in their own time yadda yadda. He proved himself to be yet another coward who puts career and fame about all else, reinforcing it's better to not be gay or lesbian.

Because I express what I really think and don't drink the rainbow cool-aid, I expect jaded responses to come my way.

Posted by: jack | Mar 29, 2010 6:53:11 PM