I'm Gay

Ricky Martin: 'I am Proud to Say I am a Fortunate Homosexual Man'

Ricky

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet in a statement on his official website:

A few months ago I decided to write my memoirs, a project I knew was going to bring me closer to an amazing turning point in my life. From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And thisis something worth celebrating.

For many years, there has been only one place where I am in touch with my emotions fearlessly and that's the stage. Being on stage fills my soul in many ways, almost completely. It's my vice. The music, the lights and the roar of the audience are elements that make me feel capable of anything. This rush of adrenaline is incredibly addictive. I don't ever want to stop feeling these emotions. But it is serenity that brings me to where I'm at right now. An amazing emotional place of comprehension, reflection and enlightenment. At this moment I'm feeling the same freedom I usually feel only on stage, without a doubt, I need to share.

Many people told me: "Ricky it's not important", "it's not worth it", "all the years you've worked and everything you've built will collapse", "many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature". Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

If someone asked me today, "Ricky, what are you afraid of?" I would answer "the blood that runs through the streets of countries at war...child slavery, terrorism...the cynicism of some people in positions of power, the misinterpretation of faith." But fear of my truth? Not at all! On the contrary, It fills me with strength and courage. This is just what I need especially now that I am the father of two beautiful boys that are so full of light and who with their outlook teach me new things every day. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment.

These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed.

What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution.

I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.

Congratulations Ricky. The truth will set you free.

Comments

1. Yay!!!!!!!! Congratulations on coming out, Ricky!!! (p.s.--I'm free this Saturday if you are.)

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 29, 2010 6:54:44 PM

2. Fortunate...and fabulous!! Congrats Ricky and best wishes.

Posted by: Jesse Archer | Mar 29, 2010 6:55:50 PM

3. better late than never, kudos to Ricky!

Posted by: DruggyBear | Mar 29, 2010 6:56:31 PM

4. How wonderful for you Ricky. I cannot imagine the relief you are feeling at being able to be open about yourself. It even makes me feel good that can now be your true self.

Posted by: Blaz | Mar 29, 2010 6:58:22 PM

5. Just out of curiosity where was all this compassion and understanding for Clay Aiken when he came out? I saw a lot of insults and cynical comments about his motives, but very few words of congratulations or understanding about why Clay waited as long as he did. Oh and MarkDC, I don't see any ongoing shame or self loathing in Ricky's statement.

Posted by: crissy | Mar 29, 2010 7:00:56 PM

6. ..well we knew...but,Thank you for sharing...really.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 29, 2010 7:03:56 PM

7. Anybody who has a nasty word to say about RIcky Martin's beautiful and heartfelt blog post is really a miserable individual. All I feel for the few people who had negative things to say is pity. It really must suck to be you.

Posted by: Jonathan Wallach | Mar 29, 2010 7:06:47 PM

8. So what? Who cares?

Posted by: JoyBehar | Mar 29, 2010 7:09:50 PM

9. Thanks JACK for turning a beautiful statement into something petty. I guess not everyone can live up to your high standards.

I paid a heavy price for coming out 30 years ago to a very religious Irish Catholic family. I knew it was the right thing to do, but most of my peers did not have the strength or desire to do so. I can not imagine the pressure Martin felt to stay closeted, I only have to look at Travolta and Cruise to see how strong it is still today.

Props to you Ricky. Have always loved your music and now I admire you even more.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 29, 2010 7:09:59 PM

10. Hey Sean Hayes:Here's how to not be a douche. Thank you.

Posted by: Larry | Mar 29, 2010 7:11:14 PM

11. Nice to see the welcome tone and encouragement on here other than the expected few who think their judgement counts or that their expectations should govern someone else's actions. His posting to his fans on his website was honest and obviously heartfelt. You don't like it, don't buy his music. But you might want to consider getting over yourselves until you actually become perfect in your own life.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Mar 29, 2010 7:12:18 PM

12. Anyone who loves the closet, defends the closet, supports the point of view of bigots who keep gays in the closet, and cannot tolerate any points of view that differ even the slightest from theirs - the fruits of your acquiescence continue to flourish. You're unaware or refuse to see this, and can only react by dismissing other points of view as miserable, bitter, or with other suppressive words. Sad, really, in 2010.

Posted by: jack | Mar 29, 2010 7:14:24 PM

13. What a big piece of MIERDA!

Finally he is out, big deal, big fu..ing deal. Finally he is honest to himself and perhaps there will be a "sorry I lied to you"... even that everybody knew he was the biggest queer from Puerto Rico except him.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 29, 2010 7:16:41 PM

14. A great guy!!!

Posted by: alan brickman | Mar 29, 2010 7:17:34 PM

15. Jack you're not a public figure just an awful blogger...cut him some slack!!!

Posted by: alan brickman | Mar 29, 2010 7:18:46 PM

16. I'm so proud of you, Ricky! OMG! Yeah! Now I need to go rediscover your music...music that I haven't paid attention to since I was 12. Yay! I'm expecting good things from u, Ricky. U best be deliverin.

Posted by: guywithaclue | Mar 29, 2010 7:19:06 PM

17. GOOD FOR HIM! This is a king, thoughtful person. He's done great humanitarian work, and I applaud him for finally coming full circle.

Posted by: David T | Mar 29, 2010 7:22:22 PM

18. I'm glad he's out. Maybe he can find someone to share the rest of his life with easily now eh? Here's hoping.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 29, 2010 7:23:03 PM

19. About time!!!!

Posted by: Joseph | Mar 29, 2010 7:23:39 PM

20. Nice try Jack. In your world he's damned by staying in the closet or you damn him for coming out too late. Kind of hard for anybody to live to that standard, isn't it? Do you want him to stand in the town square so every self-righteous queen can pelt him with rotten tomatoes?

I agree with you that the closet is a prison, but everyone has to find their own path. When you and others react this way when someone does finally come out, do you think YOUR strategy helps anyone else make that decision any more easily? How do they EVER satisfy your judgement?

And for the record, tolerating an opinion and agreeing with it are two different things.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Mar 29, 2010 7:26:57 PM

21. In case you missed it, having a point of view that differs from the orthodoxy will result in much love & good words coming your way, such as:

- jaded assholes

- (Cue the bitter fug-ass queens...)

- Anybody who has a nasty word to say...is really a miserable individual.

- Thanks JACK for turning a beautiful statement into something petty

- the expected few who think their judgement counts or that their expectations should govern someone else's actions.

- Jack you're not a public figure just an awful blogger

Don't be a thinking person; you will be dismissed as being judgmental. No wonder DADT has lasted so long, instead of being tossed in the trash where it belongs. It's all related. Hopefully, my original post will be read for what I intended, by some on here.

best

(p.s. I'm not a blogger.)

Posted by: jack | Mar 29, 2010 7:31:57 PM

22. Uh Ricky, you forgot to mention that you made the decision to come out because you realized that we were meant to be together. I'm jes sayin'....

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 29, 2010 7:40:00 PM

23. Everyone must be allowed to do it in their own time (as long as it is not affected anyone else).

Congrats Ricky!

Posted by: NYSmike | Mar 29, 2010 7:40:46 PM

24. Por fin!

BEAUTIFUL ... simply beautiful. The fact that he is coming out while still young and succesfull is a great thing. And to boot, imagine all the education the latino community will get when they finally see someone they like open up to his sexuality. BRAVO RICKY!

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 29, 2010 7:42:40 PM

25. 1. Incredible. Two pages and hardly even a handful of the bitter old queens have the balls to make fools of themselves as they typically do over such a potentially volatile matter here.

2. FTW. Absolutely FTW: "Boy, this makes the recent Sean Hayes coming out story really lame. Hey Sean, this is how you come out with real will and grace!" ... elegant. Classic and elegant. Kudos.

Posted by: dave02657 | Mar 29, 2010 7:46:22 PM