I'm Gay

BigGayDeal.com

Ricky Martin: 'I am Proud to Say I am a Fortunate Homosexual Man'

Ricky

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet in a statement on his official website:

A few months ago I decided to write my memoirs, a project I knew was going to bring me closer to an amazing turning point in my life. From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And thisis something worth celebrating.

For many years, there has been only one place where I am in touch with my emotions fearlessly and that's the stage. Being on stage fills my soul in many ways, almost completely. It's my vice. The music, the lights and the roar of the audience are elements that make me feel capable of anything. This rush of adrenaline is incredibly addictive. I don't ever want to stop feeling these emotions. But it is serenity that brings me to where I'm at right now. An amazing emotional place of comprehension, reflection and enlightenment. At this moment I'm feeling the same freedom I usually feel only on stage, without a doubt, I need to share.

Many people told me: "Ricky it's not important", "it's not worth it", "all the years you've worked and everything you've built will collapse", "many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature". Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

If someone asked me today, "Ricky, what are you afraid of?" I would answer "the blood that runs through the streets of countries at war...child slavery, terrorism...the cynicism of some people in positions of power, the misinterpretation of faith." But fear of my truth? Not at all! On the contrary, It fills me with strength and courage. This is just what I need especially now that I am the father of two beautiful boys that are so full of light and who with their outlook teach me new things every day. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment.

These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed.

What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution.

I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.

Congratulations Ricky. The truth will set you free.

Comments

1. Unless Ricky Martin has been a secret fixture at Mr. Burns' castle all these years --

There's no comparison between his coming out and the white, Christian male Republican closet cases.

Those folks are legitimate targets because they are congressmen, legislative analysts, lawyers, military officials, or other agents within the structure of privilege who actively participate in oppressing other LGBT people. He's merely an entertainer who sang a song for his fan, George W. Bush, way back in 2001. That's not the same as voting for the federal marriage amendment.

He was never a homophobe.

He never endorsed a homophobic policy.

He never run for public office as a "family values" candidate.

Posted by: John | Mar 29, 2010 7:59:24 PM

2. Nice, but he's no NPH. Okay, who's left on the short list? Anderson Cooper? Anyone else?

Posted by: anon | Mar 29, 2010 8:00:38 PM

3. He was my idol when I was about 12-13. Although my taste in music has changed drastically, I still think he's amazing. Congratulations, Ricky.

Posted by: Kári Emil | Mar 29, 2010 8:00:39 PM

4. I would like to think that RM came out in part because of the email I sent him about the death of Jorge Mercado. I'm sure that the hate crimes in PR and the world had something to do with it. He was becoming a hypocrite.

His people here in PR love him and him denying who he is perpetuates to his people here in Puerto Rico that being gay is wrong.

I realize everyone does it in their own time and while its better late than never...he should have taken a stand years ago against homophobia.

Posted by: prisle2010 | Mar 29, 2010 8:20:23 PM

5. Congrats Ricky...we all knew...but we all accept it because unlike the suprisingly few self righteous bitterlings in here, we remember what its like to be there, no matter what age we were when it happened. (I happened to be 21)
    Enjoy the sunlight now Mr Martin...
    For said bitterlings (here's looking at you Jack)...even if you think he should be stoned for not coming out on your schedule...he will still be much more famous, influencial, attractive and relevant than you...well after you have faded back further into the obscurity from which you came...so please, keep up the bitter jealousy...maybe you'll meet a friend.

Posted by: JT | Mar 29, 2010 8:21:07 PM

6. Bravo, Mr. Martin!

Posted by: JT - the original | Mar 29, 2010 8:23:50 PM

7. Yea, here it comes. What a pathetic loser. He gets no sympathy from me. Where was he when it might have made a difference? Hiding. He's a chicken. We fought too hard for our rights to bend over forwards or backwards for a trashy egotist like this because he finally admits what we knew all along. It's like Tom Cruise coming out ten years from now, when he can't get a movie deal anymore. It's not hate, it's just not celebrity worshipping. He's an extremely minor singer at best, anyway, at least his material was pretty flimsy.
    We should honor the people who are out of the closet all the time, famous or not. Well, we do, but not enough.

Posted by: s | Mar 29, 2010 8:30:34 PM

8. when i was a little gay boy i had a little gay crush on him. Glad he's come out.

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 29, 2010 8:32:44 PM

9. hey dude this is great..im 16 n jes came out 2 my parents n my teammates..n it was way scary n all n i know what it feels like 2 live a lie n not be able 2 be urself..so props 2 u dude n best o luck in all u do!..i came across this quote from harvey milk n i think it says it all 4 people who r coming out" if you are not personally free to be yourself in that most important of human activities -the expression of love-then life loses all meaning"

Posted by: rich | Mar 29, 2010 8:35:13 PM

10. I really can't stand Ricky Martin's music, but this is, as the Vice-President said the other day, a big fuckin' deal.

In the Spanish-speaking world, Ricky Martin is still a huge superstar. There is no other out Latin gay male international celebrity of his magnitude. There are a couple of lesser stars, like that kid from that teenybopper band RBD. There are a few old obviously gay queens leftover from the 70's who still dance around the subject whenever they're asked, like Juan Gabriel and Miguel Bose. But there was no Latin equivalent of, say, Elton John. Until today, that is.

Posted by: E-Z | Mar 29, 2010 8:46:02 PM

11. I'm happy for him :) It's something that should be done on his terms and not because of other people's agenda. For those that have negative things to say about this, bottom line: it's not your life. If you know what it feels like to come out of the closet, how freeing it is, just be happy for Ricky.

Posted by: daws | Mar 29, 2010 8:47:34 PM

12. The really long exercise to get to the point was ironic, but kudos on him for getting out. As the saying goes, it's never too late.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 29, 2010 8:50:20 PM

13. @Jack
    Just because some here appreciate Ricky Martin's coming out, in his own time and when it was right for him, doesnt mean that we "drank the rainbow Kool-Aid". Perhaps we are just being more tolerant than you are making yourself appear. Of course, everyone who disagrees with you MUST have drunk that Kool-Aid, or at least thats what you appear to be saying. So tolerant of you! :)

Would it have been nice if Ricky had come out years ago - sure! But maybe it wasn't right for him personally then, or maybe it wasnt right professionally. His choice. His life. He has never in words put down gay people or done anything to denigrate them. Its regrettable that he didnt feel able to come out and help others with his visibility. But its his life and he has to deal with it.

There are many others out there in similar positions who for personal and/or professional reasons wont come out - and really, I cant blame them, cos Im not walking in their shoes. I dont know their lives. I came out early, my friends and family were on balance very supportive. I was lucky. Many are not. Each to their own time and place. Dont belittle that struggle just because YOU think someone else should have done something.

Just because we may not agree with some of what you have said so negatively does not automatically equate to being someone who "loves the closet, defends the closet, supports the point of view of bigots who keep gays in the closet, and cannot tolerate any points of view that differ even the slightest from theirs - the fruits of your acquiescence continue to flourish". Tolerant much? You set it up so that if we criticise you then we must have drunk the Kool-Aid! So, who here is not tolerating different points of view. Not all those slams you pointed out earlier were aimed at you. But you wanted them so you got them. Cos of course in 2010 we cant tolerantly accept that different people have their own path to travel. Sad, really. Bravo to Ricky Martin for finally coming to a place he felt comfortable in. Yes, it would have been great if he had felt able to do it earlier but it is what it is. Hopefully it spurs him on to greater things :)

Steve

Posted by: OberonOZ | Mar 29, 2010 9:06:11 PM

14. Jack: oh, dear. Apparently no one has explained this to you. It's fine to be a free thinker. Good for you! However, that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't free to think you're a bitter old thing.

Posted by: Christopher | Mar 29, 2010 9:07:19 PM

15. Let's reflect on Ricky Martin's cowardice:

Q: What about the rumors that you're gay?
    Ricky Martin: There's not a lot I can do about that. I guess these rumours were started by people who don't have a life, or perhaps it's because they want me to be like them and I'm not. I try not to pay attention to any of these allegations. I could have been married with kids for years or have 27 girlfriends, and if people still want to go around saying that I'm gay, they will.

Posted by: Jason | Mar 29, 2010 9:09:25 PM

16. BTW, a lot of us were able to come out when we were young (I came out when I was 16), even at the risk of our careers (I was in the Navy and now I go to Harvard Law School). Why are we congratulating him, after he insulted those who saw him for what he was, instead of someone who showed true courage and came out when it really mattered (like, say, Constance McMillin)?

Posted by: Jason | Mar 29, 2010 9:13:26 PM

17. Good for you Ricky!! Everyone in their own time.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 29, 2010 9:16:10 PM

18. He also posted a letter in Spanish that is somewhat different that the English version. In it he said that being a homosexual was a great gift in his life. How was this missed by the all embracing, diversity enchantment of the big gay gabacho world? Come on mis hermanos putos and print a comparative translation of how Ricky feels as a big old Maricon!

Posted by: Chandler in Las Vegas | Mar 29, 2010 9:33:46 PM

19. Good for Ricky Martin. He did it in a classy, non-trashy way.

Posted by: Landis | Mar 29, 2010 9:42:33 PM

20. Bravo Ricky. Everyone has to come out in their own way and time. I have always been a fan, now I can say I admire you too!

Posted by: David | Mar 29, 2010 10:09:26 PM

21. Congratulations Ricky! I recently come out, divorced my wife, and am now with the man of my dreams. My life has never been better. I hope you find your love as well...

Posted by: Keith | Mar 29, 2010 10:21:35 PM

22. OK, so I'm trying to rediscover Ricky music that I like and have always liked -- and that now rings truer to me now that he's been brave and admirable and come out. Ok, so here's what's on my iPhone right now (just purchased, ty :-)):

-Private Emotion
    -Nobody Wants to Be Lonely

Hmm, what else should be on this list? Are these and others destined to become instant gay anthems? :--) When does Ricky go on tour next in the states already?

Posted by: guywithaclue | Mar 29, 2010 10:38:33 PM

23. While this was about as surprising as Nathan Lane coming out (and he was self aware of that fact LOL), this is very ground breaking for the Latino community. We do need diverse voices as we continue on a path towards equality. Perhaps Ricky Martin may remain reclusive. Perhaps he might become more of an activist, although he is under no obligation to do so. I hope he lends his voice to make life easier to gay and lesbian Latinos and Latinas.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Mar 29, 2010 10:51:00 PM