I'm Gay

Ricky Martin: 'I am Proud to Say I am a Fortunate Homosexual Man'

Ricky

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet in a statement on his official website:

A few months ago I decided to write my memoirs, a project I knew was going to bring me closer to an amazing turning point in my life. From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And thisis something worth celebrating.

For many years, there has been only one place where I am in touch with my emotions fearlessly and that's the stage. Being on stage fills my soul in many ways, almost completely. It's my vice. The music, the lights and the roar of the audience are elements that make me feel capable of anything. This rush of adrenaline is incredibly addictive. I don't ever want to stop feeling these emotions. But it is serenity that brings me to where I'm at right now. An amazing emotional place of comprehension, reflection and enlightenment. At this moment I'm feeling the same freedom I usually feel only on stage, without a doubt, I need to share.

Many people told me: "Ricky it's not important", "it's not worth it", "all the years you've worked and everything you've built will collapse", "many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature". Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

If someone asked me today, "Ricky, what are you afraid of?" I would answer "the blood that runs through the streets of countries at war...child slavery, terrorism...the cynicism of some people in positions of power, the misinterpretation of faith." But fear of my truth? Not at all! On the contrary, It fills me with strength and courage. This is just what I need especially now that I am the father of two beautiful boys that are so full of light and who with their outlook teach me new things every day. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment.

These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed.

What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution.

I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.

Congratulations Ricky. The truth will set you free.

Comments

1. Derrick Martin has more cajones than Ricky Martin for coming out when he did.

Posted by: tooboot | Mar 29, 2010 11:12:24 PM

2. Congratulations Ricky! I know it wasn't easy all this time, but now you've done it. we're all with you, we've been there.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 29, 2010 11:15:12 PM

3. Love you, Ricky. You did it on your own terms and in your own time. Your life is your own. What you've chosen to open up will free not only your own past but the future of many to whom you have been and will be, a role model. Courage and strength be with you, Ricky. Welcome.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 29, 2010 11:15:33 PM

4. Yawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. STRRRRRRRRETCH.

What? Oh.

She bangs...

Posted by: TANK | Mar 29, 2010 11:37:05 PM

5. Way to go Ricky! You don't owe any of these hags anything! Live your life on your own terms!!!

Posted by: Davey | Mar 29, 2010 11:45:16 PM

6. When I saw this post I was praying that the comments were still not working. Ah, well...

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 30, 2010 12:05:28 AM

7. Now 45...I came out 5 years ago to the complete horror of my family. They have still not healed.....but I have...COMPLETELY! Fear not.

Posted by: KT | Mar 30, 2010 12:06:05 AM

8. Waiting to exhale...and...finally! This revelation is less shocking than Clay Aiken coming out. But seriously, glad to hear the honesty, Miss Ricky. Good for you...

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Mar 30, 2010 12:07:47 AM

9. "Let's reflect on Ricky Martin's cowardice".

Yes, let's. That quote sounds pretty close to the lies I and other gay men I know told people before we came out. I suspect a lot of people commenting here uttered the same or worse at some point in their lives. But no one's holding Ricky Martin up as some paragon of virtue or bravery. And a past of self deception doesn't take away from the accomplishment of overcoming it. Indeed, it accentuates it, for the deeper you are in the closet the harder it is to get to the door.

Now I'm sure Ricky has a lot more of his particular road to travel before he comes to terms with all he is or has been in the past. But in the meantime I have no qualms about being happy for him for how far he has come today.

Congratulations, Ricky Martin.

Posted by: Dare | Mar 30, 2010 12:13:05 AM

10. Congrats! Sweetie!

Posted by: Chris | Mar 30, 2010 12:13:16 AM

11. of course it's not as though everyone didn't always have strong suspicions, but reading his heartfelt statement still brought a little tear to my eye..and his pic got me all tingly in other places.

Posted by: el polacko | Mar 30, 2010 12:19:23 AM

12. Congradulations Ricky, as a gay man coming out in my later years I know how rewarding it is to say out loud to your self " I am Gay", and I don't care hew knows about me.
    I know you have soo much more support now
    that you are being yourself, so let's get more Music from you!

Posted by: fogmansf | Mar 30, 2010 12:30:57 AM

13. It's quite simply a beautiful letter.

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Mar 30, 2010 12:38:26 AM

14. Congratulations, Ricky! Everyone in their time, and being a celebrity no doubt makes it harder than most. But it's liberating, and now no one can hurt you for being "in."

Posted by: Pitt | Mar 30, 2010 12:39:23 AM

15. Whatever. When he was a pop sensation he pretended to be straight--out of a fear of hurting his record sales (motivated by greed). Now that he has been forgotten, he is trying to get his name back in the headlines to sell his book so he comes out of the closet (motivated by greed). It's Sean Hayes redux. These two multi-millionaries couldn't find the balls to come out even when they were so successful and so popular they didn't have to work another day in their lives and everybody already assumed they were gay anyway.
    And people on here are tripping all over themselves to get in line to congratulate Mr. Martin on what a classy guy he is....if they can stop slobbering over how HOT he is long enough to pat him on the back.
    There is a teenage boy in Georgia and a teenage girl in Mississippi who have come out in terribly hostile environments in just the last week. They don't have maids and personal assistants and agents and publicists. But they do have integrity and honor and guts. And my admiration. They make the celebrities look like spineless toads.

Posted by: I like real heroes | Mar 30, 2010 12:47:25 AM

16. Yeah, great, whatever. Reading some of these comments, I realize just how many closet cases (or former closet cases--into their forties! So who cares but them) are posting with positive (not the bad kind, ladies!) comments. All I can say is...ew. Nothing more gross than a man with a former wife...and kids...and martin isn't even one of those (so he isn't here to help you cope, gals).

Posted by: TANK | Mar 30, 2010 12:51:00 AM

17. I really love the sentiments he expressed. And while some may roll their eyes at this being old news - okay, I did when I first heard about this - he is an international sex symbol. This is a huge, wonderful thing that I think will inspire more tolerance, especially in the Latin community.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 30, 2010 1:55:07 AM

18. Many of you are missing the point. Yes, his homosexuality isn't newsworthy. What's newsworthy is that he's PROUD to be gay. He overcame fear and shame, and it's a very good thing - regardless of when it happened.

Posted by: Eugene | Mar 30, 2010 2:29:21 AM

19. "Whatever. When he was a pop sensation he pretended to be straight--out of a fear of hurting his record sales (motivated by greed). Now that he has been forgotten..."

uhhmmm, You know he's still one of the biggest latino producing artists? His coming out is a very big thing for a lot of people who have had no idea he could have been gay...

Posted by: Alistair | Mar 30, 2010 3:30:41 AM

20. you are a good man, ricky. you have never hurt anyone. you have tried to build up in this world. my heart goes out to you, primo. como dicen los mexicanos: mucho salud, muchas pesetas, y mucho tiempo para gastarlas. peace and love, man.

Posted by: nic | Mar 30, 2010 5:57:23 AM

21. good god, some judgmental, bitter queers (TANK and thankfully, only a couple of others) cannot resist looking a gift horse in the mouth. i hope that if Ricky reads this post and commentary, he will focus on the overwhelming positive response, rather than on the few unmerited and unwarranted, and frankly, demented comments.

Posted by: nic | Mar 30, 2010 6:26:22 AM

22. One commenter here stated that Ricky Martin never "denied" being gay.

He denied it fully, every time he did a song or video where a woman was shown to be the object of his affection. He knew full well that middle America would see him as straight because of those videos. That is, until now, when he can disabuse them of that notion because of his need to sell a book.

Sad.

And no, there is no comparison to a gay actor playing a straight role. When someone sings a song, or makes their own video, that is much more an expression of THEMSELVES than acting in a movie or a tv show.

Posted by: David C., Chelsea, MA | Mar 30, 2010 6:48:19 AM

23. I haven't been this shocked since... well.. since Nathan Lane came out. I might have to take the day off today, I am not sure I can work now.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 30, 2010 7:08:55 AM

24. What a shocker!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 30, 2010 8:11:07 AM

25. How easy it is for some of us to forget that we had to come to terms with ourselves before we came out to others.

Bravo Ricky and may your life expand with the whole new feeling of content.

Posted by: HeBangs | Mar 30, 2010 8:29:16 AM