I'm Gay

Ricky Martin: 'I am Proud to Say I am a Fortunate Homosexual Man'

Ricky

Ricky Martin has come out of the closet in a statement on his official website:

A few months ago I decided to write my memoirs, a project I knew was going to bring me closer to an amazing turning point in my life. From the moment I wrote the first phrase I was sure the book was the tool that was going to help me free myself from things I was carrying within me for a long time. Things that were too heavy for me to keep inside. Writing this account of my life, I got very close to my truth. And thisis something worth celebrating.

For many years, there has been only one place where I am in touch with my emotions fearlessly and that's the stage. Being on stage fills my soul in many ways, almost completely. It's my vice. The music, the lights and the roar of the audience are elements that make me feel capable of anything. This rush of adrenaline is incredibly addictive. I don't ever want to stop feeling these emotions. But it is serenity that brings me to where I'm at right now. An amazing emotional place of comprehension, reflection and enlightenment. At this moment I'm feeling the same freedom I usually feel only on stage, without a doubt, I need to share.

Many people told me: "Ricky it's not important", "it's not worth it", "all the years you've worked and everything you've built will collapse", "many people in the world are not ready to accept your truth, your reality, your nature". Because all this advice came from people who I love dearly, I decided to move on with my life not sharing with the world my entire truth. Allowing myself to be seduced by fear and insecurity became a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage. Today I take full responsibility for my decisions and my actions.

If someone asked me today, "Ricky, what are you afraid of?" I would answer "the blood that runs through the streets of countries at war...child slavery, terrorism...the cynicism of some people in positions of power, the misinterpretation of faith." But fear of my truth? Not at all! On the contrary, It fills me with strength and courage. This is just what I need especially now that I am the father of two beautiful boys that are so full of light and who with their outlook teach me new things every day. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids where born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen 5 or 10 years ago, it is supposed to happen now. Today is my day, this is my time, and this is my moment.

These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed.

What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution.

I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.

Congratulations Ricky. The truth will set you free.

Comments

1. Ricky, you rock!

Posted by: Fred | Mar 30, 2010 8:29:49 AM

2. Like all of us who have come out, we've all had to face our truths and come to peace within ourselves. Many of us have also feared coming out in the workplace for fear of losing our careers, our bread and butter. Celebrity or non celebrity.

We've all had to do this on our own terms and nobody else's clock.

I'm glad Ricky finally found peace within himself to do so. It's and amazing feeling of self purpose and incredible freeing experience. Congrats Ricky!

Posted by: Joey | Mar 30, 2010 9:16:35 AM

3. It's about time. You had to get in the headlines since you're yesterdays news

Posted by: willysburg | Mar 30, 2010 9:29:49 AM

4. I am happy for him. He came out. That is all that matters. I suppose we all come out when we feel it is best for ourselves.

Posted by: Blair | Mar 30, 2010 10:35:54 AM

5. I wish Ricky Martin much happiness. I do think it's unfortunate to come out when he is no longer in the spotlight and I don't consider this action brave. I also think his avoiding answering Barbara Walter's question on his sexuality was a brave wayt o handle it. I agree with another writer who stated now that he has his millions, he is free to live his truth because he is not dependent on his fans supporting him.
    But then again, life is not as easy for out gay entertainers so I understand. Again, much happiness Ricky.

Posted by: Dan C. | Mar 30, 2010 10:42:47 AM

6. A little "Fuck You" money is a wonderful thing! Are you listening, Oprah? But seriously, what Ricky wrote was very touching and thoughtful. Mean queens go take a chill pill!

Posted by: Sid | Mar 30, 2010 11:18:10 AM

7. These comments are exactly why gay celebs don't come out. Who the hell do some of you think you are that you think you're entitled to have him come out on your terms? Seriously. Enough.

The bitterness is appalling. Fine, great, some of you came out when you were young. Whoopie for you. He didn't. Get over it.

Posted by: DR | Mar 30, 2010 11:43:01 AM

8. I'm glad to see most responses are positive. We all have our own journey, and I'm glad that I was able to make the choices I did when the time was right for me. Why some would think they know what is better for others, I have no idea, but such thinking becomes a mirror image of what we come out from.

To Ricky I wish peace, love and light.

Posted by: KJ | Mar 30, 2010 11:50:27 AM

9. I was dismayed to learn there is deep bias against older people among some on this site. I am young myself, if you consider Ricky Martin young, but I have learned that that good folks commenting on here have some serious issues with age, with comments like:

“bitter old queens”
    “self-righteous queen”
    “you're a bitter old thing”

The point of asking “why now” is that Martin did put gay people down with his decade-plus charade, raking in a fortune in record sales off an intentionally false ‘straight’ image. His profits would have dwindled had he not presented this lie. How much of his fortune was gained from people believing he was straight?

His message over and over: if you are gay, you cannot be successful. Who on earth could praise that message? There is such a desperation on this board for everyone to lock-step accept his statement, with fingers in the ears and la-la-la-la for anyone who didn't post a "positive response."

The issue is not telling someone when & where to do something very personal, but the making of millions and millions of dollars perpetuating a lie. For me, bravery does not come on an official website post from a Malibu mansion. This is not a realistic way to think of how coming out will be for the vast majority of us.

Posted by: jack | Mar 30, 2010 1:50:48 PM

10. Good for him! We already knew anyways! He's gonna lose quite a few fans, though, including my mommy... She's pissssed

Posted by: Andy | Mar 30, 2010 2:15:45 PM

11. So, are all the "why doesn't he come out queens" satisfied, or will you find something else to be unhappy be about regarding Mr. Martin? Maybe you'll get your undies in an uproar because he didn't out his companion, or tell you specifically what he likes to do intimately. Whatever.

Ricky, felicidades. Sea que revelarte fue una decision dificil para ti. Espero que esa te traiga la paz y la serenidad de las cuales verdaderamente te mereces. No cambia a nada. Seras siempre uno de los mejores musicos del mundo y los milliones de fanaticos (como yo) siempre te guardamos y te recordamos en nuestros corazones con mucho amor y mucho carino.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 30, 2010 2:26:43 PM

12. Ricky, Congratulations and thanks for your grace, courage and talent. As a man who struggled until I was 40 to find my truth and accept myself, I am happy that you have found your peace.

As a hero of a culture that has been generally homophobic in its attitudes, you will help us overcome prejudice and provide a role model for many Latinos struggling with their identity. You have our support and best wishes.

Posted by: ejerry | Mar 30, 2010 3:10:05 PM

13. @ Dan Cobb.

Yes, Ricky did deny being gay. Specifically...

"If I were gay, why not admit it?... I am a normal man. I love women and sex. I am a real hot-blooded Puerto Rican, but I have never been attracted by sex with a man."

Posted by: Bernardo | Mar 30, 2010 4:40:57 PM

14. Glad to see all the heartwarming kudos here unlike some other site.

Posted by: CHIEFSSRHA | Mar 30, 2010 4:59:46 PM

15. Yes, the decision to come out of the closet is a very personal one... however, when you choose to live your public life in a way that uses your (alleged) hetero sensuality to generate big bucks, you're a shameless opportunist. Shame on him for choosing to deny who he was, all while picking the pockets of his adoring (mainly female) fans under false pretenses.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 30, 2010 5:02:59 PM

16. Good for your Ricky-coming from a extremely macho, homophobic, Catholic culture this was never going to be an easy step. Bien echo hermano!

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 30, 2010 6:09:39 PM

17. Ricky Martin has come out. Fine, that's good. It's always a good thing when a well know person is honest to the public. But did he really have to wrap it up in that soverdramatic sickly sweet 'I'd like to teach the world to sing' sermon on the mount.

Posted by: Den | Mar 30, 2010 6:52:29 PM

18. Jack- MAR 29,2010-6:53:11pm
    Coming out is a very personal thing. You obviously must know him personally to make such comments as to be able to make such concise statements about Ricky Martin's life. (There's your jaded response so you won't be disappointed.) Actually the truth is if you knew him, you might understand the reasons for his actions over the years. There is nothing wrong with expressing the truth as you see it. When you won't allow yourself to at least consider there may be truth in how others look at things, that is jaded. A long look in the mirror might be appropriate for you at this time. Time to say some jaded things about me now but since I already have sympathy for you...

Posted by: 2201 East | Mar 31, 2010 3:22:03 AM

19. True, Ricky Martin and his agent knew about it. They also knew that if Ricky had said to his legions of female teens, "Sorry, girls, your plumbing's wrong, just when his career was taking off, a tremendous financial opportunity would have been lost. Put yourself in his shoes, however. Would you have turned down such fame and money?

With that being said, overall, I am glad that Ricky Martin has come out, because ultimately it will make life easier for all of us.

And, if anyone thinks that Elton John, George Michaels, and Ricky Martin and others have not paid a price for coming out, even though they are talented, famous, and rich, I would be willing to bet that you might be quite surprised at the stories they could tell you. The music industry is full of byzantine politics, intrigue, and rough competition. I know, a lot of other professions are too, but my understanding is that if you want to find out how ugly it can get, try this career. One false move, and down you go. All in all, these men are very brave. And rich. And, I like to think that they have helped us all.

Congratulations, Ricky. And here's my phone number....

Posted by: tjones | Mar 31, 2010 7:41:34 AM

20. The "way to go, Ricky" is such a bullshit, self-loathing argument. Any person who stays in the closet for any reason is perpetuating the idea that being gay is a bad thing...something to be hidden...ashamed of...denied....supressed...ridiculed. And undermines the fact in ignorant people's minds, that we choose to be gay.

Ricky Martin lied for years about his essence because it is still a financial concern to be perceived as anything other than "normal." If anything, the onus is on celebs to come out and loudly ....it will make what is still a difficult journey easier for generations that follow.

Ellen is the perfect case in point as far as changing perceptions. She was afraid at first, but has become one of the most loved, by all, public figures. Who doesn't like Ellen? Proof that a lesbian can be embraced by mainstream Amur-hic-ka.

If the apologists on this board who feel that it is impolite to out someone could see past their own deep rooted shame about gayness...and NO...there is no excuse for the closet....

Stop impersonating a heterosexual. And stop making excuses for celebs who do.

Posted by: otto | Mar 31, 2010 6:28:02 PM

21. I guess that a lot of folks have a right to be angry about Martin's late decision. After all, he is not as young as he used to be, the teenscream thing is over with, and he's made his money. You could argue that he has nothing to lose. And, a lot of people have suffered tremendously and had neither the protection of immense financial security that he enjoys nor his incredible talent. Yet, these people chose still to come out. However, others did not or could not due to potential job loss etc.

With all that being said, I would suggest that when someone like Martin comes out, you know that the culture is beginning to loosen up substantially. Maybe this will encourage others like him to take that step. I know that many have harsh judgements about Martin staying in the closet. While that is understandable, I would say that when anyone comes out, it is still a good thing--no matter when. So, all in all, I say: congratulations, Ricky.

Posted by: tjones | Apr 1, 2010 7:06:11 AM

22. Ha, Ricky Martin made the word "homosexual" cool again!

Ggood on ya, by the way.

Posted by: Jedi | Apr 1, 2010 5:44:26 PM

23. Welcome to the family!

Posted by: Bob | Apr 2, 2010 12:06:22 AM

24. He came out, which is better than dying in the closet. We all have our own freedom of choice and at least he's done it rather than not at all.

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 2, 2010 12:07:29 PM

25. I've enjoyed reading the personal attacks on me, especially from the 'who are you to judge' crowd. I had no idea that coming out was a personal decision, so thank you everyone who went out their way to school me on that point.

I wonder how many actually read and understood what I wrote (instead of seeing non-fluffy, non-positive words and immediately reacting). I don't demand agreement with me in the same fashion as the Rainbow Kool-Aid drinkers. I'll sum it up again:

His message over and over: if you are gay, you cannot be successful. The issue is not telling someone when & where to do something very personal like coming out, but the making of millions and millions of dollars perpetuating a lie.

There seems to be a certain pleasure taken in judging me with clever wording and phrases. I take no pleasure writing what I did about Ricky Martin. I'm surprised at the number of people who find no problem with how much he profited while peddling an ongoing lie. This is not a good message for young gays & lesbians finding their way.

Posted by: jack | Apr 2, 2010 3:49:35 PM