Constance McMillen | Ellen DeGeneres | Gay Youth | Mississippi | News

Watch:
Constance McMillen Talks to Ellen, Receives $30K Scholarship

Cm_ellen

Constance McMillen, the Mississippi lesbian student whose school canceled the prom over her desire to bring a female date, spoke to Ellen DeGeneres, who delivered an outstanding segment and presented her with a $30,000 scholarship from Tonic.com and a summer internship with them in NYC.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Just what I needed to hear today after all the ridiculous things being said during the DADT debate. Thank you.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 19, 2010 2:39:33 PM

2. awsome..thank u Constance..and thank you Ellen! Ditto - what Steve said!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 19, 2010 2:57:30 PM

3. Yes! Very Awesome! Constance, you got some balls on ya honey!!! I hope you realize if the people on the school board with anal glaucoma don't come to their senses.. you can have prom, anytime, anywhere.

Posted by: Darren | Mar 19, 2010 3:11:40 PM

4. This is why I continue to love Ellen!
    And Constance, I don't even know where to start. The courage, bravery, strength and conviction displayed by this young lady is inspiring and gives me hope. I hope many great things come her way. She deserves it!

Posted by: Martin | Mar 19, 2010 3:25:04 PM

5. I don't mean to sound like a bitter and jaded person, but what did she do to deserve this? I understand the need to shed light on the backwardness and bigotry of the school board, but really? I spent four years in high school being threatened, bullied, beaten, and all of this was neglected by my school board. I dropped out and ran away from home because the only other option I thought I had was to kill myself. Where's my TV spot? Where's my scholarship? Where are my Facebook fan groups and nightly news blocks? Thousands of students go through the same thing constantly, and their stories remain unheard, their prayers unanswered, and their ways unlit by the kindness and compassion of other people, and so they too fade into darkness with the rest of us that made it through the gauntlet and lived to tell about it. If I were her, I'd donate that scholarship to a charity that is working for the people who wish their only problem was not being able to attend the prom with their girlfriend.

Posted by: affected | Mar 19, 2010 3:58:22 PM

6. Sorry Affected, but you do sound bitter and jealous. There was no Facebook etc. then. She did not claim to do naything for it. She just got a gift. Be happy for her. Sorry no one gave most of us this but such is life.

Posted by: Rann | Mar 19, 2010 4:23:32 PM

7. Affected, I think you answered your own question: "I dropped out and ran away"

Constance did neither.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 19, 2010 4:27:42 PM

8. Bravo Girl...Stand Up, I hope they get to go to prom. *prays*

Posted by: Bosie | Mar 19, 2010 4:27:56 PM

9. Affected... why the negativity? be happy for what she's doing and how much exposure she's bringing to the issue of gay youth. Where's your TV spot? Did you take on the bullying? Did you tell your school administrators you were not going to take it? And Constance is a shy girl, by the way. Even Ellen said: I never would have had the strength to do this...
    This young woman stood up for herself while also while being teased, harassed, and put down, just like you were. Yes, thousands of kids go through this everyday and shining a light on this one kid IS going to help them and all of us.

Posted by: rob | Mar 19, 2010 4:30:18 PM

10. Affected, what she did is actually going to help shed light on the problem and may even prevent a few folks from going through what you did. I hear you about the struggle and honestly feel for you and your experiences. I'm also happy to see someone in the spotlight who might make a difference. Peace.

Posted by: Kay Irving | Mar 19, 2010 4:35:48 PM

11. I'm all for gay rights but what Ellen should of done is rent out a venue so ALL the kids could have their prom. Not just reward the person who was the reason it was canceled.

Posted by: NYC | Mar 19, 2010 4:42:34 PM

12. OH, c'mon, crispy...you don't really believe that do you? Constance came from a very supportive family and is a lesbian...and yes, lesbians do experience less homophobic discrimination than gay men. To call gay teens who run away from horrendous personal situations quitters is like doing that for gay teen suicide victims. It's victim blaming, and there's no room for it in intelligent discussion.

But this does highlight a point...it doesn't matter who you are...activism and the people thrown into these situations have no control over whether or not they'll be highlighted as examples of social injustice. It, like most everything, is an accident of history....a random combination of circumstance and opportunity.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 19, 2010 4:50:07 PM

13. I had to fight to bring a girl to my prom in Canada - the school even said I could bring her if I actually wrote down on the reply card that she was a friend. ugh.

Posted by: Jessica | Mar 19, 2010 5:09:48 PM

14. I was pretty outgoing in high school but I would have NEVER had the courage to take the very public stand Constance has taken for equality. And a big kudos to her dad for giving his support.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 19, 2010 5:11:38 PM

15. Serious: Constance is amazing. It's humbling to see such courage.

Frivolous: Does anyone else think her dad is kinda hot?

Posted by: Bruce | Mar 19, 2010 5:16:35 PM

16. It's kind of ridiculous that this still happens all over North America.

Posted by: Derek | Mar 19, 2010 5:18:15 PM

17. I think Constance's courage is going to make quite a difference to gay teens all across the States. Schools will be far more reluctant to impose homophobic regulations for fear of the consequences and teens will be brave enough to go to prom with their same sex partners. This is a huge step forward! DELIGHTED!

Posted by: Derek | Mar 19, 2010 5:23:08 PM

18. Affected, get a grip and stop crying like a bitter queen.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 19, 2010 5:30:39 PM

19. "To call gay teens who run away from horrendous personal situations quitters is like doing that for gay teen suicide victims."

I did no such thing, Tank.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 19, 2010 5:37:55 PM

20. MOTHER OF HEAVEN, ELLEN MUST BE STOPPED. CAN YOU IMAGINE GIRLS AND PERHAPS EVEN BOYS PRETENDING TO BE LESBIANS SO THEY CAN GET MONEY FROM ELLEN? THIS IS A DANGEOUS PRECEDENT FOR SURE AND MUST BE CURTAILED. IT IS A CALL FOR YOUNG PEOPLE TO DISOBEY THE WILL OF THE SCHOOL AUTHORITIES WHO SURELY KNOW BEST IN THESE MATTERS. I WILL PRAY OVER THIS. GOD BLESS YOU.

Posted by: SISTER MARIA EVANGELICA MAMMACULOS | Mar 19, 2010 6:14:32 PM

21. 1) It takes a lot of strength and bravery to fight back against injustice.
    2) Ellen's rewarding her after all the negativity she's gotten for being herself, standing up for what she deserves equally.
    3) The Dad is definitely hot!

Posted by: Rob | Mar 19, 2010 6:17:07 PM

22. I teared up during that segment and I totally believe that she deserves that money. She wasn't asking for the money or the publicity, she just wants to be treated equally, and someone who stands up for that should be rewarded. And good for Ellen for using her celebrity and talk show to spotlight everyday people fighting the good fight. Cynics be damned, Constance (and her father) rocks!

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Mar 19, 2010 6:30:11 PM

23. Go Constance!! This is awesome and thank goodness she has a supportive dad.

Posted by: GaryGhost | Mar 19, 2010 6:35:08 PM

24. So many of the blogs I read (self-selected, of course) report so much depressing and negative stuff. Loving Constance, Ellen and the DADT protesters! Hope the breakthrough of good news continues, regardless of the negative nelly comments which the bitter queens just can't seem to resist.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Mar 19, 2010 7:57:18 PM

25. @affected - Oy! it is a gift, not an award that she "won"!

@nyc - did you watch the video? Ellen offered to have a prom, but Constance wants to go to HER school's prom, not a substitute.

Posted by: Kurt | Mar 19, 2010 8:06:03 PM