Census | Gay Marriage | George Takei | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: George Takei and Brad Altman Want You to Be Counted

Takei

Why George Takei is still in his Starfleet uniform and why his husband is wearing that tin foil hat have everything to do with that form you just got in your mailbox.

Find out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. gags

Posted by: TANK | Mar 23, 2010 7:38:02 PM

2. No, Tank, gaYs.

Posted by: Timothy in DC | Mar 23, 2010 7:46:49 PM

3. I started a Facebook group about the stupid census...

"I marked my race as Gay on the 2010 US Census"

Click on my url to see the page.

Posted by: jeffrey bryan | Mar 23, 2010 8:07:26 PM

4. Last link didn't work, try this one.

Posted by: jeffrey bryan | Mar 23, 2010 8:11:19 PM

5. TeeHee, I'm so proud of my friends from Love = Love and Equal Roots for putting this together, and so jealous of them spending an afternoon with Sulu - - in uniform no less! I would have squeeeed uncontrollably.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 23, 2010 8:24:49 PM

6. I was in a gay race once. You had to run to different stations and put on a wig, dress, makeup, and finally heels. The first person across the finish line won! I fell on my ass.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 23, 2010 8:31:52 PM

7. This is very frustrating -- my census form arrived more than a month ago and was promptly returned before any of the gay sites or any of these groups publicized this information. This is simply too little-too late. I would gladly have filled-out my census in this way if ANYONE has mentioned it in time.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 23, 2010 8:41:36 PM

8. Alex Parrish you don't really expect us to believe you, we are queer but we're not dumb...oh wait... Do you need people to tell you what to do or just for a quick bitch slap and a drink? (Please say yes). Take some initiative sweetie. Yes for you it is too little too late. Is that the story or your life baby-doll?

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Mar 23, 2010 9:10:30 PM

9. I just received my census form a few days ago, so it was timely for me at least. :) (Will I be filling it out as such? YES.)

Posted by: Lis | Mar 23, 2010 9:28:48 PM

10. Alex Parrish, if your census form was like mine, the instructions are to fill it out with information as of April 1, 2010. You may have assumed your living situation would not have changed by then ... but you have no one to blame but yourself for jumping the gun. Sorry, not to rub it in.

If it makes you feel any better, who knows what will be made of the connection that two people of the same gender both identified as husband or both as wife. We're hoping they catch this, and publish the results.

In any event, the big and perhaps unexpected news is that you can SELF-IDENTIFY. No legal marriage required. I hope the news gets out to plenty of people in time, and I hope Sulu and his husband have some hand in that.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 23, 2010 9:40:34 PM

11. I love George Takei!

He is great on the Howard Stern show too...

Posted by: George F | Mar 23, 2010 10:01:51 PM

12. No offense George, but you need a life out of "Star Trek", besides, the 'live long an prosper' schtick was Spock, not Sulu. As much as I like and respect you George, how long are you going to milk "Star Trek". All the others have moved on eons ago, you should too! ;)

Posted by: CB | Mar 23, 2010 10:17:26 PM

13. Thanks George and Brad; I will definitely queer my census.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 23, 2010 11:09:27 PM

14. I love seeing George gaying it up with his partner. He's the best! Yay for gays!

Posted by: Ty | Mar 24, 2010 2:23:40 AM

15. George and Brad, thank you for being OUT there for all of us ... P.S. ... **LUV** the Star Trek uniform ... **LUV** the tin foil hat ... like Ralph Kramden might say to Alice ... yous guys (South Philly accent) are the greatest!!! ...

Posted by: Lou Partridge | Mar 24, 2010 9:23:55 AM

16. @CB, exactly which ones have moved on? Shatner is a joke who will appear anywhere for a couple bucks. All the rest do constant Trekker conventions because they've never been able to move on from their Star Trek associations. That's why they continue to do the movies, including Nimoy in the latest.

People who are anti-Census are paranoid idiots, and those who can't follow the instructions are morons. Hopefully all the teabaggers will boycott it this year and not get any representation or funding for their districts---which should be their desire, since of course the government is so nefarious in their view---while reasonably bright people will recognize that the Census is not some great big government conspiracy. It's in the Constitution, and every country with sufficient resources conducts them.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 24, 2010 11:32:42 PM