Constance McMillen | Education | Gay Youth | Mississippi | News

BigGayDeal.com

Confirmed: Constance McMillen Attended 'Queer Outcast' Prom While the 'Cool Straight Kids' Partied Elsewhere

My quotes in the headline. The evidence is becoming fairly clear, though not that surprising. The community of Itawamba County, Mississippi, shunned a high school student publicly once again on Friday night because she's a lesbian.

Constance No wonder gay kids want to leave small towns and move to the big city.

This morning I reported that the "alternative" prom organized to replace the prom cancelled at Itawamba High School was a decoy for the "outcasts" like Constance McMillen while the "cool straight kids" prom was held elsewhere (my quotes).

Turns out that was the case:

"McMillen went to the Itawamba Agricultural High School prom at the Fulton Country Club, but she was one of the few to attend the event. McMillen said she arrived at the dance an hour-and-a-half after it began and stayed for about 30 minutes. She said she saw six other students and several school officials while she was there. Meanwhile, many more Itawamba AHS students went to an event held at the community center in Evergreen, another community in Itawamba County. McMillen said she knew about that event but that when she asked another student if she was invited, the student told her, 'the prom is at the country club.' ...  'I took that as no,' McMillen said. 'If I wasn’t wanted there, I wasn’t going to go.'"

It's unclear what the ACLU can do at this point:

"Kristy Bennett, legal director for the ACLU of Mississippi, said her organization was still gathering details about what happened Friday night to determine whether they would ask Davidson for sanctions. At the least, Bennett said the details about Friday’s prom would be used in the organization’s damages suit against the district, which is still being developed. 'We are disappointed at the sparse attendance, and we’re looking further into the situation,' Bennett said. 'Whatever we find will be brought to the court’s attention, whether it is in the damages trial, or whatever. There will still be a trial on the merits. The case didn’t end in the preliminary hearing.'"

In possibly related news, the blog originally reporting the prom story says that several bags of a substance declared to be sugar and a note were sent the office and home of three members of the Itawamba County school board earlier today. The bomb squad was called and the FBI notified. No details as to what were in the notes.

Comments

1. This is really sad, and I applaud Constance for speaking out and being a hero and bringing this issue to a national light. But lets all just move the fuck on. She's brought negative publicity to her community and school for its bigotry and cruelty, which is great. I wish Constance all the best in college and her future endeavors.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 5, 2010 7:59:14 PM

2. I think college admissions committees should take note. As a college admissions adviser, I would not want to admit any student who knowingly participated in such a fraud and such an overt act of discrimination. Most colleges and Universities strive towards respect for diversity, and these students have made their quality of character clear. I would even consider this action grounds for rescinding an offer of admission as incompatible with the ideals and expectations of my institution.

Maybe the VA Attorney General can recommend alternate schools for them.

Posted by: Willo | Apr 5, 2010 8:07:47 PM

3. HA! @Willo: You think any of those backward hicks are going to college!??! HAHAHAA Maybe see if the local Wal-Mart won't hire them.

Posted by: Truth | Apr 5, 2010 8:11:37 PM

4. What a bunch of sphincters!

I hope Constance knows that the "cool kids" in high school wind up with the most disappointing lives.

Posted by: Michael Cone | Apr 5, 2010 8:21:16 PM

5. I agree with all the above. Time to get Constance out of there. Hopefully they will not interrupt her graduation. Hope she is taking lots of notes, I smell a teen memoir coming.

Posted by: randolfo | Apr 5, 2010 8:31:03 PM

6. How about a full page ad in their local paper? Just three big words: SHAME ON YOU!

Posted by: JohnnyP | Apr 5, 2010 8:45:21 PM

7. I just wonder how many closeted gay kids went to the "cool straight kids' prom".

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 5, 2010 9:04:00 PM

8. ...smells like teen bigots...!

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Apr 5, 2010 9:23:23 PM

9. They did her a favor.

Nothing like having people show themselves up for who they really are to make you realize you've been wasting precious time courting their approval. These people are trash, and a young woman like Constance should be dismissing them as unfortunates and moving on with all haste.

Posted by: Rascal | Apr 5, 2010 9:28:03 PM

10. I grew up in a relatively small and homophobic town and all I can say is I feel no sympathy when I hear about the economic struggles or plights of almost all rural areas. Let them all wither and die. Then, when people from the big city with money want a quaint little gentrified getaway, some of these places may learn to suck it up and "get" diversity and only then will they come back to life.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Apr 5, 2010 9:35:14 PM

11. This is a great scenerio for at a minimum, a TV movie or documentary. I really feel sad for Constance. I hope they do make a movie out of this and show the hypocrisy for all to see. I would like them to cringe, as a nation watches the ignorance that their homophobic town and school promulgated. I fear the same thing is in store for Derrick Martin.

Posted by: CB | Apr 5, 2010 9:56:54 PM

12. Just sent Toyota USA a note telling them that I won't be purchasing any car from them if they open their shuttered plant in Tupelo.

Gay people aren't welcome anywhere in that sorry part of Mississippi. Im from Alabama and even we know that Tupelo (Fulton is a suburb) is the pits of the pits.

Posted by: Tom in Lazybrook | Apr 5, 2010 10:08:24 PM

13. Fuckin' lame. Totally fuckin' lame. I hate small town people and small town "values". That almost always translates to bigotry. Ask any of your black friends why they don't like driving through the burbs (or even living there, because it doesn't get better for residents, either) for confirmation on that score.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 5, 2010 10:23:13 PM

14. Not all small towns are like that, @TANK; I lived in a small rural TN dairy town for eleven years with my partner on his farm. I never saw as many mixed race couples as I did in that town, or more kids of ALL colors playing together. Our neighbors were strictly live and let live. Generalizations do not transfer.

Posted by: raybob | Apr 6, 2010 12:46:59 AM

15. what valuable lessons the hayseed adults have taught these little bigots: duplicity, conniving, conspiracy, exclusivity, pettiness .... the only ones who don't smell like shit after this fiasco are Constance and her friends.

Posted by: nic | Apr 6, 2010 1:04:47 AM

16. hey GLEE writers - invite Constance on and crown her prom king/queen - whatever she wants! That would be cool. :)

Posted by: Mike | Apr 6, 2010 1:49:27 AM

17. Just went to the school board website and tried to send the superintendent a "shame on you" email. Guess what? The link has been disabled...:). They must be getting a lot of hate. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 6, 2010 5:12:41 AM

18. Someone needs to release a list of the names of these high school students and forever shame them as the bigoted, redneck arseholes that they are.

Posted by: Glenn | Apr 6, 2010 6:23:05 AM

19. Let's see: Constance has been interviewed by Wanda Sykes and has appeared on Ellen's show, where she was awarded a $30,000 scholarship. And she will be presenting an award to Wanda in LA. Tell me again: which are the "cool kids"? Ha! Get out of there, Constance, and make a wonderful life for yourself and a beautiful example for others to follow.

Posted by: DougChgo | Apr 6, 2010 7:34:25 AM

20. I actually wish an entire community would go to such great lengths to decieve me in one way or another. To have such a great amount of resources focused on me would be quite a self esteem booster. The people of Fulton clearly think that Constance is worth such extrememefort.

Posted by: Thad | Apr 6, 2010 10:49:20 AM

21. At her age, I wish I had the know how and the courage to stick to my convictions. She is a hero in my eyes.

As for this 'community", I'm not even going to waste my strength.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Apr 6, 2010 1:41:53 PM

22. Wow! Are all rural red state residents such inbred bigots?

Posted by: DH | Apr 6, 2010 2:53:24 PM

23. As an educational psychologist, special ed. teacher and gay man i just sent the school board and school administration a short email reminding them of what it means to be an educator...seconds later a delivery failure for every address popped up in my inbox. are they scared now?!

Posted by: Mark | Apr 6, 2010 5:53:10 PM

24. Where in the fuck is Barack Obama speaking out against real live homophobia since he's taken the most powerful position on the planet? The fact that Obama chooses to remain silent while our kids kill themselves, while our kids are bashed, while our families are attacked at the same time as his Department of Justice files legal briefs upholding and defending homophobic laws should be a wake up call to every serious and thoughtful (not to mention self-respecting) queer: the Democratic Party will not save queers. The Democratic Party is every bit as queer-hating as the Republicans. They just smile when they bash us. When you support the Democratic Party, you support homophobia.

Posted by: Norm D PLume | Apr 6, 2010 5:58:17 PM

25. Barack Obama doesn't give rats ass about gays until it's time for us to vote for him and fund his campaign.

The President will not support us. We must support ourselves and demand change through the Congress.

Posted by: clint | Apr 6, 2010 9:04:46 PM