American Idol | David Archuleta | I'm Not Gay | New York | News | Nightlife

BigGayDeal.com

David Archuleta's Twitter Panic: Don't Worry, I'm Not Gay

David Archuleta took to Twitter last night after a report was published that he had been spotted at NYC's gay nightspot Club 57, despite the fact that the report acknowledged that he was only there to see dance artist Charice perform:

"So, was David bumping and grinding with some steamy Dominican muscle man? Hardly. David was there with his friend Charice, who performed a dance remix of her current hit single, 'Pyramid' at the coveted 1:30 a.m. spot. Reportedly, however, Charice and her entourage, which included David and his old band mate Eli, did do something terribly scandalous after the performance: They went to a local Pinkberry for ice cream."

Archuleta
Wrote Archuleta: "Mental note to self: always ask where before you go! Wasn't my kind of place lol, and I had no clue! I guess you live and learn."

He later added: "I wouldn't get into things like that intentionally haha."

And finally, "I didn't want you guys to be worried so had to let you know the facts."

Presumably Archuleta has a lot of gay fans. It's too bad he considers being thought of as gay something to freak out about."

Comments

1. I mentioned this on Twitter, and after a few angry messages from his fangirls actually got a tweet from Archuleta himself clarifying his position - apparently he DID mean the club scene rather than the gay scene.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 19, 2010 11:34:05 AM

2. Although Archuleta is major "BORING!" material just as that execrable show American Idol is, I'd say, Cut the kid some slack! He's Mormon and he has the Stage Father from Hell.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 19, 2010 11:35:13 AM

3. At the end of the day, who cares really?

Posted by: Freddie | Apr 19, 2010 11:44:49 AM

4. After some of the posts here, why WOULD David want to be associated with some of you??

I mean, seriously...

David is a genuinely sweet kid, with a crazy vocal talent.

Is he closeted? Well, of course. Will he ever "come out" publicly? Maybe or maybe not, and if he does it will be far down the road.

But he's only 19, much younger than that in terms of certain kinds of experience (despite "AI"), he has a domineering dad, and the Mormon church's pronounced homophobia to deal with and navigate.

In fact, David Archuleta has gone on record defending gay people who've been clobbered (including Adam Lambert after he came out). And David was even quick to Tweet last night or this morning (when one Twitterer asked if he was "having problems with the gays") that many of his friends are gay and "great people" --- and don't think he wont be hassled by his church for showing that level of tolerance and generosity.

This is a good boys, guys. He just hasn't worked thru things yet--- and good folks like David need our support, not our derision.

Many of us were there to, once. And most of us didn't have the added issue of public fame.

He didn't say anything mean. Quite the contrary. Cut him some slack.

Posted by: Chuckie | Apr 19, 2010 11:49:05 AM

5. Clay Aiken, also an AI runner up, wasn't gay either. Plus, this kid is 19. Around these parts, that's a little too young to even think about clubbing.

Posted by: StipeFan | Apr 19, 2010 11:59:21 AM

6. "After some of the posts here, why WOULD David want to be associated with some of you??"

Posted by: ♂ | Apr 19, 2010 12:06:40 PM

7. There's still a lot of homophobia in the press and the self-inflicted kind by the gays who still think there's something wrong or scandalous about non-gays going to gay venue. You know the "spies" in the nightclub couldn't wait to blab they saw him there. It just seems all too vicious and obsessive for my tastes.

Posted by: niles | Apr 19, 2010 12:35:30 PM

8. He tweeted this morning that he has some gay friends who are great people. He is known as non-judgmental, giving, caring and considerate. He is also known as a man of faith but never judges others. It's hard to understand for people without faith how he is the way he is. But he has shown over and over again so much caring for people regardless of sexual orientation or social status.

There are some famous stories about him. When he was visiting Malaysia, at a high school restroom, he came across a cleaning lady. He extended his hand to offer a handshake and asked her name, then he thanked her to keep the school clean. With no cameras around, nobody knew this until the cleaning lady talked to school staff. Whether you are the president of United States or a person with no name, he always treats them with respect.

There are many warm stories surrounding him. I know many of you may not follow him. But before you judge him, do some research on him. He is one of the best human being I have never seen. He clearly said he is straight, but if you don't want to believe it, it's OK. It's not my business.

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 19, 2010 12:44:43 PM

9. thank you towleroad road posters for giving david the benefit of the doubt. yes, he made a communications blunder, he didn't articulate himself very clearly yesterday, and it angered people. he made a mistake, but has manned up and taken the time to clarify and make clear exactly what he meant. takes balls, when he could have just clammed up and ignored it, or sloughed it off on someone else to take the heat. he's just a young, earnest kid in a very cynical and jaded world, just trying to figure it all out. and he will, given time, support and understanding. thanks again for giving him the benefit of the doubt - he really deserves it.

Posted by: aeadan | Apr 19, 2010 12:58:51 PM

10. Good lord, cut the kid some slack. He's 19 and Mormon - I don't blame him at all. I'm an ex-Mormon myself and when I was 19, I was so deep in the closet that I assumed I would die there.

Ricky Martin has spent almost 2 decades as an entertainer and had no excuse for not coming out until this year; David Archuleta on the other hand is still a kid.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 19, 2010 1:35:30 PM

11. David dahling, you might want to recheck and see where your career is at this point in time. You might want to know that in the event the that your girl fans abandon you for the next "Justin Bieber" type out there. you just (might) have the GAY community by your side. But, oh well.. Another tweet fail.

Posted by: ChadSF | Apr 19, 2010 1:53:16 PM

12. Let's not pretend as if we all marched out of the womb waving a rainbow flag. Many of us didn't come out of the closet until our late teens, early twenties, or (gasp!) later in life.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 19, 2010 1:57:19 PM

13. "Being gay is not an "association", it is simply being who you are. I'm gay and I need not be associated with you, I don't even know you."

Exactly, MALESYMBOL, it's NOT an "association", so some of these posters need to stop demanding that David salute a particular flag and proclaim this-and-that like it's some club he is or isn't in.

Sometimes gay folks are their own worst enemies, attacking other gays (or alleged gays) for not marching in step to a predetermined beat.

Archuleta is still a pretty innocent boy, and yes, 19 is now too young to legally go clubbing anyway.

David has defended gay people before when they were besmirched, and has also stated that he has many "great" gay friends. He's said NOTHING homophobic.

If he needs to come out later, then give him the time to do so.

Posted by: Chuckie | Apr 19, 2010 2:16:00 PM

14. @Ryan

You cut Archuleta slack because he's a Mormon, like you were, yet Ricky Martin has no excuse? Do you know anything about Puerto Rico?

Posted by: John | Apr 19, 2010 2:19:53 PM

15. @John

I probably could have worded that better. Yes, I do agree that growing up in Puerto Rico would be just as difficult as growing up in Utah, if not more so.

I think the difference between the two I was trying to point out was that Ricky Martin (38 years old) has been in the public eye for 26 years, whereas David Archuleta (19 years old) has only been in the public eye for 2.

Religion and location aside, David Archuleta IS still very young and very inexperienced in the world.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 19, 2010 2:27:20 PM

16. Hmm...sorry, but I read this as him having a panic that his perceived fanbase of 12-25 year old dateless girls and 45-75 year old nostalgic women would grasp their pearls and start going into a biblical trance at the idea of their perfect lil crush being a homosexual (ala Gayken's disgusting "claymates")
    And..I suspect that had he been a slightly chubby black singer with the same voice, we would not have all these tolerant messages in here about "giving him time"

Posted by: JT | Apr 19, 2010 2:55:26 PM

17. Is he a homophobe, probably not, is he young, yes...and does his background effect his choices, of course.
    But is he also aware of what could happen to him if he were outed as gay, considering he was marketed as an all american boy who sings beautiful ballads for girls to weep over? Oh YES...he does indeed...and if he didnt, he has managers and publicists and his father to remind him.
    This reaction is just that...him freaking that he may even be perceived as gay. He has handled this better in the past when the question came up, so we know that he can articulate his thoughts better.
    Only hope that when he comes out, which he will, that he will remember this and apologize to his gay fans

Posted by: JT | Apr 19, 2010 3:06:04 PM

18. David didn't say anything offensive, he only explained to us about this night. I don't see anything of offens in his tweets, i could go to a club with my friends and i could say that it isn't my kind of place but not for this i hate all the people who goes to this club.
    And he's not gay, if I base in all that some say ; now if i go to Arabia i'm an arabic? .. pff

ALL THE SUPPORT TO DAVID!

Posted by: ximena | Apr 19, 2010 3:07:53 PM

19. The point is: is doesn't MATTER if he's gay.

He's one of the best young singers we have out there, and is a terrific person by all accounts.

His sexuality, one way or the other, is his own business.

And he did and said NOTHING of a homophobic nature.

Posted by: Chuckie | Apr 19, 2010 3:12:01 PM

20. He is so clearly a gay young man regardless of what he says today. One day I he will live honestly with himself and be happy or continue to live denial and remain as clear on this issue as he and many in his situation are. I love his quote, “I wouldn’t get into things like that intentionally ha ha…” It reveals a unspoken personal history with “things like that” with a built in excuse… I recall using that myself after too many cocktails before I came out…

Posted by: Dave | Apr 19, 2010 3:16:49 PM

21. OK, from the tweets above, doesn't exactly seem like he's "freaking out". Maybe he didn't handle this in a mature manner, maybe with a little humor, but so what.

Posted by: rayy | Apr 19, 2010 3:18:07 PM

22. What a dummy. His closet door is slowly creaking open but his hateful Mormon religion keeps slamming it shut!

Posted by: KFLO | Apr 19, 2010 3:54:45 PM

23. David doesn't consider being gay "something to freak out about." Anyone who follows his career knows that. He has gay friends and a lot of gay fans. He's also been supportive of Adam Lambert and Clay Aiken when asked how he feels about their sexuality. Yes, David was raised Mormon but he's not judgmental. He's just not the type of celebrity who's into the party scene, that's all.

Posted by: David Archuleta Fan Scene | Apr 19, 2010 3:56:40 PM

24. he's also mormon and bullied by a raging stagefather, so my guess is he'd be terrified to do anything that daddy might see as a threat to the public's perception of him as a "nice boy." QQ

Posted by: kim | Apr 19, 2010 5:00:31 PM

25. Blah, it's a rumor. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have felt compelled to twitter about it.

Posted by: omi | Apr 19, 2010 6:20:15 PM