Barack Obama | Democratic Party | News

Gays Conspicuously Absent from Obama DNC 2010 Video

Obama

In new video taped on Friday by President Obama to coincide with an email blast to 13,000 people from DNC Grassroots project Organizing for America and DNC Chair Tim Kaine, LGBT people are conspicuously absent from a list of groups Obama is specifically counting on in 2010 Democratic reelection efforts. In the past, gays and lesbians have been included in lists such as these.

Says Obama in the video, in part: "So that's what we're going to do. ... It will be up to each of you to make sure that the young people, African Americans, Latinos, and women, who powered our victory in 2008 stand together once again. ... If you help us do that – if you help us make sure that first-time voters in 2008 make their voices heard again in November – then together we will deliver on the promise of change, hope, and prosperity for generations to come."

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, whispers of White House threats.

Comments

1. If he had mentioned us all he would get is bitched at over 'empty words'. I hope no one who becomes outraged every time he does mention us won't complain now that he isn't.

Posted by: Wes | Apr 26, 2010 10:08:16 AM

2. .. that was not a: "Uh, we forgot!"

Posted by: Martin in FLL | Apr 26, 2010 10:09:54 AM

3. I'm getting the distinct impression we're not in Kansas anymore...at least with the Obama administration. Perhaps they're getting the message we're not with them, either, so we're easy to write off the list of acknowledged past Obama and Democratic supporters. Well, that's fine. Let's see them hold on to power in DC without our support!

Posted by: Rob | Apr 26, 2010 10:10:35 AM

4. Obama pushed Gays under the bus so long ago he doesn't even remember to count us.

Posted by: Wayne | Apr 26, 2010 10:18:52 AM

5. Probably because, in all honesty, out little community doesn't matter. As long as the Dems have the Latino and AfAm vote locked up, they are going to do okay. Gay people are not going to suddenly flip over to the Republicans. They'll either vote Dem or not vote at all. Because, if the gay community needs any kind of reminder about how good it is to have the Dems on our side, even if it is crumbs, just look at what happened in Virginia in less that 30 days under a Republican. decades worth of LGBT advances stopped cold or reversed.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 26, 2010 10:21:05 AM

6. We have to be careful not to bite off our nose to spite our face. I want to vote for someone who is fiscally responsible and also supports equal rights for all Americans. In my lifetime, neither the R nor D party has ever presented that in their chosen candidate. I've had to hold my nose and vote for the lesser of the evils.

Obama is disappointing, but McCain/Palin could have been disastrous.

No candidate who does not support equal rights will get a penny in donations from me, but when it comes to voting, we have to look at what alternatives we'll have.

One of these years, we'll see a viable third party candidate who is both fiscally responsible and in tune with younger voters' support for equality. That could be a game changer for fed up people from both parties.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 26, 2010 10:25:15 AM

7. Obama thinks that those "new voters" are enough to replace us. Donna Brazile said it herself during the '08 primaries when she suggested of Democrats that supported Clinton, "we don't need you anyway". That may have been true during the "historic" election against a weak candidate like McCain whose own base hated him, but those voters have proven that they will not be back to vote for any other democrat besides Obama (just ask Martha Coakley, or John Corzine). And I doubt they will be enough to make up for a re-energized GOP in '12. Not only has Obama screwed us, he's screwed the whole Democratic Party and probably sentenced us to a decade of Republican rule. So I say to him, you damn sure DO need us. The gay community voted Dem in '08 by a 70 to 30 margin. What other constituency (besides African Americans) voted for him in such high numbers? You'd think he'd get off his cowardly ass and show us he deserved that kind of support. I certainly won't hold my breath though...

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 26, 2010 10:28:57 AM

8. Even when he DOES do something for LGBT people (like the hate crime law) he is attacked by gays who do not understand that he is not a KING! He does not have the power to make laws without Congress. He has to haggle for votes on everything, especially on gay issues.

Thank God for the gay activists who protest members of Congress too.

I AGREE: he is not forceful enough in his announcement of support at key moments. But, then again, nor is he with other issues and groups that I support.

I want him to be more vocal about immigration issues and Asian American people's experiences, but I understand that he has priorities as well.

Posted by: veg | Apr 26, 2010 10:30:24 AM

9. What's that? Democrats have taken LGBT folks' votes for granted, and failed to come through on most of their campaign promises to us, knowing full well that we don't have any alternatives and would be fools to vote for Republicans? Why does this all sound so strangely familiar, almost as though it happens every four years?

While this is sort of a pithy incident in itself, and probably not worth anyone's time or moral outrage, it's nevertheless a very telling symptom for how Dems in Washington treat LGBT folks.

Obama's visitation rights mandate was a bold and necessary move, but it was also a no-brainer--certainly nothing even the staunchest and most ignorant of anti-LGBT folks could argue against without being rightly labeled insensitive bigots. I'd like to see some follow-through on more pressing matters, the sorts of things that require an actual commitment to progressive principles and campaign promises.

Posted by: TomSkylark | Apr 26, 2010 10:33:17 AM

10. Can we get a new, stronger, more progressive candidate for president in 2012? Please?

Posted by: ravewulf | Apr 26, 2010 10:35:11 AM

11. @Mike

But remember that in promotional materials of this type, the Obama campaign/Administration has ALWAYS included our community.

So obviously, either our community mattered or it was a farce all along.

Personally, I think the truth was somewhere inbetween.

As far as our votes mattering, well, I know that they do, I've done a little numbers analysis to prove but I also think that there are too many fractures within the LGBT along so many lines (race/ethnicity, sex, geography, economic class) that I don't think that we can take advantage of the numbers power that we do have at the present time.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 26, 2010 10:35:19 AM

12. concern troll veg said "But what about the Republicans! They are AGAINST gay rights at EVERY turn. I don't see gays attacking them or gay news sites posting reports about conservative anti-gay hatred in Congress as much as attacks on Obama."
    Seriously? you trolls should do a little better research and actually READ gay websites before making such stupid statements. We know the Republicans hate us and have never hesitated to point out their bigotry. Now run along and don't come back until you have some more reality based talking points.

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 26, 2010 10:38:39 AM

13. I thought that Obama specifically told the LGBT community to hold his feet to the fire regarding issues concerning us.

Did the heat get to be too hot for him?

Rather, I think it help shore up his moderate "blue dog" appeal by snubbing us. Throw the Gays under the bus for the sake of looking good in the mid-term elections.

Posted by: Skiff | Apr 26, 2010 10:40:25 AM

14. I just sent the following note to the DNC. Thousands more in the gay community need to do the same:

"It is interesting to watch the President call for the coalition that got him elected the first time to come to the polls again. Apparently he and DNC do not consider the gay community part of that coalition or part of his base, and that has only been reinforced by his actions on gay issues (especially ENDA and the repeal of DADT).
    "So therefore I am writing to tell you that I accept our community's new status, and in the coming elections I will not only refuse to volunteer or donate funds, but for the first time ever in my life, I am staying home on Election Day. I don't like to attend parties where I'm not invited."

Posted by: Michael S. | Apr 26, 2010 10:44:46 AM

15. Of course he didn't mention us. Why would he? Our community has done nothing but bitch and moan. You bite the hand that feeds you so many times, what do you expect?

Posted by: JR | Apr 26, 2010 10:52:10 AM

16. re: the rumor that GLBT issues will be "frozen out."

And we'll be able to tell the difference how...?

Posted by: scottevill | Apr 26, 2010 10:55:04 AM

17. @JR - This is part of the problem. The Democrats aren't the hand that feeds us, we're (one of) the hand that feeds them. They've been slow to understand this.

I expect we'll be seeing some backpedaling before the end of the day and an assurance from someone that gays are "valuable" members of the Democratic coalition.

Posted by: Xtopher | Apr 26, 2010 10:56:11 AM

18. He be mad for getting heckled the other day.

Posted by: Vince S. | Apr 26, 2010 10:56:39 AM

19. JR -

So we didn't go out and help him get the votes to be elected in the first place? We only "bitched and moaned" his way into office?

I don't think so.

Posted by: Skiff | Apr 26, 2010 11:00:10 AM

20. Many of us have made it clear that our wallets are closed until we see more meaningful action on the part of the administration and Congress. It would appear he's received our message. In all fairness, we can't be surprised or outraged, then, if he left us out of this campaign video.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Apr 26, 2010 11:02:27 AM

21. I'm sure he didn't name many groups. I saw he left out Japanese-Americans, which I am as well as being gay. But I don' take offense to it. I am tired of everyone being so upset with him, do you realize how much crap he has had to fix this year just to keep our country from collapsing!? You should all be glad we aren't in a depression. And I'll bet in his second term is when we really starts to implement pro-gay policy. You have to understand, these republicans in congress and conservative Americans are extremely close-minded. THEY are the ones you should be upset with. Does nobody here remember the executive order he signed for a gay person to see his or her partner in the hospital!? What president has even come close to doing that? He even sent her a personal letter. That's just how I see it.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 26, 2010 11:03:32 AM

22. Yeah, I'm sorry, this is a manufactured controversy to generate page hits. And by the number of usual trolls, I see that it's worked.

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 26, 2010 11:13:21 AM

23. One day you're een, the next day you're owf. HK

Posted by: Nick | Apr 26, 2010 11:14:35 AM

24. @xtopher Until GETEQUAL get's their heads out of their asses and realizes that when you heckle the president of the united states and disrupt a fundraiser for one of the LGBT communities biggest advocates, you are going to see a lot more of a cold shoulder. Democrats don't need the LGBT community to get elected. We help, but they don't need us. They support us because they have principles. But every time we go all CODE PINK on them, we are going to SHUT OUT!

Posted by: JR | Apr 26, 2010 11:18:25 AM

25. JR, if we are to believe your argument, then it only proves what a petty, vindictive little man Obama is. I guess he doesn't care about civil rights or doing the right thing if he is so easily swayed by a small group of hecklers. If what you say is true, we're better off without such a narcissistic egomanic to begin with.

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 26, 2010 11:29:21 AM