Gay Adoption | Mike Huckabee | News | Rosie O'Donnell

BigGayDeal.com

Listen: Rosie O'Donnell Takes on Mike Huckabee Over Gay Adoption

Mike Huckabee appeared on Rosie O'Donnell's Sirius radio show yesterday to respond to his remarks regarding gay parents, adoption, and foster parents. You may recall that Huckabee recently gave an interview to a paper at the College of New Jersey in which he insulted gays who want to parent, telling them "children are not puppies."

Huckabee O'Donnell asks Huckabee if his view of adoption precludes gay families.

Says Huckabee: "Well, you know Rosie, again, I think people have to make their own decision about what a family ought to look like and I’m not going to judge you or judge anybody else because I know there are so many loving people who are in same-sex relationships and they have adopted children and they love those kids. I’m not going to judge them. I’m simply not going there."

O'Donnell goes on to say: I haven't mentioned marriage once Mike. I'm mentioning that there are half a million kids in foster care in America. And 99% of them were raised by heterosexual parents. And if there are homosexual people that want to take in and love these discarded children that the state is not raising and taking care of, to have public officials deem homosexuals unworthy of parenting is disastrous for the nation, for equality, and for humanity, and Mike, for Christianity."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(clip via wonk room)

Comments

1. This is classic Rosie, confronting the real issue, asking the tough questions and not letting him get away with his hypocrisy. While the ladies over at The View behave as though "Mike couldn't have possibly meant what he said..." I feel that Americans are beginning to finally appreciate Rosie.

A side note: I heard this interview yesterday and noticed that Towleroad and Queerty were not covering it and so I emailed them to ask why. I'm glad it's up now.

Posted by: Franco | Apr 23, 2010 5:17:45 PM

2. Rosie, I loved your controlled discussion and logic as you talked with Mike Huckabee, I appreciate that you stayed on message and remained calm as he wouldn't directly answer your question which was so obvious what and how he felt. Kudos to you, I miss you on the regular Network Circuit.

Posted by: Glen Weinzimer | Apr 23, 2010 6:56:49 PM

3. I'm amazed at how Chucklbee can speak out of both sides of his mouth. And, anyone who thinks he's "an idiot and, that he's insane" are right!

Posted by: Bill Cooney | Apr 23, 2010 11:56:38 PM

4. huckabee famewhoring is fabbb huh,do what you do to stay relevant hun

Posted by: sal(yeah yeah) | Apr 24, 2010 2:52:25 AM

5. I hate when people blame his religion for his views. I am a gay Christian and have two very loving and supportive pastors for parents who would do anything to assist in this ongoing fight for equality. Mike Hackabee is hiding behind his religion because he's shifting blame for his ignorant views to God. But NJ Girl? Do NOT insinuate that anyone who believes in God is a complete moron.

Posted by: David | Apr 24, 2010 6:56:33 PM

6. Right, david...that's great reasoning. Don't blame sexism for the unequal treatment of men and women...that's just an excuse for bad behavior!

Don't blame racism for racist beliefs and behaviors...that's just an excuse for bad behavior...

At what point do we say that religion is meaningless, then? It's all just behavior....

Posted by: TANK | Apr 24, 2010 7:09:00 PM

7. "I hate when people blame his religion for his views."

I agree with you to a certain extent, David. People like Huckabee hide behind their so-called religion and manipulate it to excuse their bigotry, ignorance, and intolerance, while also using it to excuse their own moral and parental shortcomings. Some of the strongest supporters of marriage equality in VT were religious heterosexuals.

That said, the religious as a whole in this country--and worldwide--simply have a despicable record on gay rights. And many fundamentalists are, sadly, morons. Religion is fine for those who believe, but it intrudes on secular life far too often, and not in a good way.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 24, 2010 7:50:24 PM

8. TONSOFT, you are right on the mark. Unfortunately, Rosie didn't pursue this opening which could have gone as follows:

RO: "Okay, Mike. We are in agreement! From what you just told us, you have gay friends who are parents of adopted children."
    MH: "Yes, I did Rosie. Janet and I have known these two men for many years."
    RO: "And you approve of the loving home they provide for their adopted kids, right?"
    MH: "Rosie, I can't really go there. It's not about me approving or judging their lifestyle. They are free to live the lifestyle of their choosing. It isn't about that . . ."
    RO: "But you agree that they are good parents and love to their children as much as we love our own."
    MH: "Of course, Rosie. They are such great parents."
    RO: "Now, if this gay couple--these friends of yours---wanted to adopt another child, would you support this? If not, then could you explain how you reconcile your support of legislation to prevent gay couples--like your friends--from adopting?"
    RO: "On one hand, you know a gay couple who has adopted."
    RO: "You know that they are good parents. You've told us that, today."
    RO: "But then you support groups out there who are against gay adoption. You supported legislation to make it illegal for gay people to adopt children. I don't get it, Mike. I just don't."
    [Rosie O'Donnell finishes her monologue, sits back and waits for Huckabee to answer]

Posted by: dennis | Apr 25, 2010 3:40:23 PM

9. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're supposed to have "Separation of Church and State". He is now on record as having governed based on his religious beliefs.

So....yeah. What should we do? Is there a policy for dealing with these idiots once they go on record as being a bigoted a**wipe?

Posted by: Will | Apr 25, 2010 10:42:08 PM

10. Tank by suggesting we blame racism for racist behavior, doesnt that mean we should blame homophobia for homophobic behavior? Your logic fails you, my friend.

Posted by: David | Apr 28, 2010 12:13:22 PM

11. I have to say I was very impressed by both parties. I can not believe the comment about Huckabee being an Evil man. He was very nice due to that is who he is. Just as Rosie was very pleasant also. There are times that we will just have to agree to disagree and we don't have to be enemies because of that. Tank I am curious to ask your definition of a Christian? Rosie I commend you on the love that you have for Children I wish many others could have your love and passion for children. I am also a follower of Christ and I too agree with Mike. Like I said before we can agree to disagree without becomming enemies.

Posted by: Carolyn | May 1, 2010 1:25:36 PM

12. "Tank by suggesting we blame racism for racist behavior, doesnt that mean we should blame homophobia for homophobic behavior? Your logic fails you, my friend."

Er...we can't blame homophobic beliefs for homophobic behavior, can we? There's no connection at all between homophobic beliefs and gay bashings...That'd just be craziness...to you. For those who know that behavior doesn't just happen in a void, beliefs cause behavior. It's indisputable. Perhaps you meant to write something else. And the thing about logic is that it's never failed me.

Posted by: TANK | May 1, 2010 1:33:00 PM

13. A christian would be anyone who claims to be one.

Posted by: TANK | May 1, 2010 1:34:25 PM