Brokeback Mountain | Catholic Church | News

Mark Wahlberg's Catholic Priest Told Him No 'Brokeback Mountain'

That Mark Wahlberg turned down a role in Brokeback Mountain has been written about. Said Wahlberg in a 2007 interview:

Wahlberg  "I met with Ang Lee on that movie, I read 15 pages of the script and got a little creeped out. It was very graphic, descriptive - the spitting on the hand, getting ready to do the thing. I told Ang Lee, 'I like you, you're a talented guy, if you want to talk about it more...' Thankfully, he didn't...I didn't rush to see Brokeback, it's just not my deal... Obviously, it was done in taste - look how it was received."

Now, the National Enquirer reports that Wahlberg turned down the role on the advice of his priest:

"The 38-year-old reformed bad boy relies on his closest confidante and longtime religious mentor, the Rev. James Flavin, to help him pick and choose his parts. 'Mark is a practicing Catholic, and he never makes a final decision on a starring role until Father Flavin gives his OK,' an insider revealed to The Enquirer. 'Mark says he owes his career to Father Flavin.' ... 'Father Flavin pushes Mark to honor his religious roots,' said the source. 'Even though Mark was offered one of the leads in Brokeback Mountain, he passed because of the gay subject matter, which clashes with Catholic doctrine.'"

Of course, playing a coke and meth-addicted hustler with a 10-inch penis in Boogie Nights was fine.

Comments

1. oh, and Rascal? You're an idiot and an ass.

Posted by: wtf | Apr 28, 2010 4:05:16 PM

2. He has said countless times that he was never offered the part in BROKEBACK. And if you read what he said, he would have considered doing it! He may be a devout catholic, but it doesn't mean he can't make his own decisions. This so-called "insider" clearly is not.

Posted by: SARAH | Apr 28, 2010 4:07:34 PM

3. True. I sort of take this story with a grain of salt too. But if it's true, too bad Marky's favorite gay teamster uncle isn't around anymore to go slap that priest.

Posted by: JT | Apr 28, 2010 4:23:23 PM

4. I always gave it the benefit of the doubt with him ... but FUCK HIM.

Gay people made him a star.

Fuck you Marky Mark.
    Done over.... with Entourage too.

Posted by: Toni | Apr 28, 2010 4:24:26 PM

5. I really hate it when people pose as "practicing" or "devout" Catholics while fathering a half dozen children out of wedlock.
    WTF?

Posted by: Lee | Apr 28, 2010 4:31:38 PM

6. Thank God he passed on this. This is the guy who played a major part in the ruinous remake of Planet of the Apes. BTW, he kisses and shows some attraction to a female ape in that movie, but I guess that is OK with the Catholic priest who advises him.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Apr 28, 2010 4:42:43 PM

7. So I suppose the catholic church would be alright if he played a child molester.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 28, 2010 4:51:42 PM

8. You might want to give him a bit of a break, considering this is from the National Enquirer. Regardless of Stephen's comment, I don't think they're exactly infallible. I think demonizing him should be withheld until he confirms this in his own words. Personally, I'm just glad Heath Ledger got to play the role, as I think he was ten times the actor Mark Wahlberg is.

Posted by: Andy | Apr 28, 2010 5:04:43 PM

9. Mark Wahlberg seems like an intelligent guy, WHY does he buy into a centuries old myth that has proven a failure and a joke?

Posted by: SteveDenver | Apr 28, 2010 5:30:08 PM

10. Mark Wahlberg = Stephen Baldwin

Posted by: CB | Apr 28, 2010 5:44:26 PM

11. Who cares if Mark Walberg didn't get the part!? It went to a TALENTED ACTOR, not someone just this side of not-so-talented.

Posted by: Annoyed | Apr 28, 2010 5:58:28 PM

12. I have trouble believing this story is true. As people have been saying, how could his priest advise him to turn down Brokeback (and I can't quite envision Marky Mark in either lead, trying to effect a southern accent) but give his ok for other violent, sexually R-rated films. I do believe Wahlberg was/is homophobic, racist and very sensitive about his career. Fear of professional suicide alone would have panicked him to turn down any role in Brokeback, even the part played by Randy Quaid.

Posted by: DireFates | Apr 28, 2010 6:04:14 PM

13. It's great to watch all these apologists flail about for a hot white guy homophobe.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Apr 28, 2010 6:09:52 PM

14. I'm glad he turned down the role. He is way too urban for "Brokeback Mountain". Did the priest approve of his Calvin Klein adds?

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 28, 2010 6:16:45 PM

15. How could Marky be racist!? He started out as THE original "wigger" before Eminem.

Posted by: JT | Apr 28, 2010 6:28:52 PM

16. I remember this story and interview from a few years ago. Mark does attend church services in L.A. when he's in town and he attends religiously.

Although it is the pot calling the kettle black, I'd hardly call Mark Wahlberg a saint and I did find it eerie when this story did come to light cause Wahlberg has praised homosexuals here and there as well.

He's also not an actor that has much of a range, he would've damaged "Brokeback Mountain". Mark is eye candy, that's all.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 28, 2010 6:46:49 PM

17. first of all, thankfully (IF the story is true) he turned down the role. Both primary roles in Brokeback required ACTORS. I would say Ang Lee REJECTED him is more likely,

That being said, this is just another example of some talentless freak biting the cock that fed him.

Posted by: casey | Apr 28, 2010 7:04:53 PM

18. @Richard S: I HOPE with all sincerity you find REAL support someday in whatever family you create or find yourself in. Support in a DADT format is NOT support in any real way. I feel really sorry for you not realizing that, and putting up with the feeble support based on a lie you have now. REAL support is UNCONDITIONAL regardless of one's personal belief system.

Posted by: casey | Apr 28, 2010 7:12:37 PM

19. you kidding the priest was turned on by those underwear ads probably went and jo to the pictures. so now the catholic church is casting directors. they like the idea of the casting couch. gets them out of the confessional

Posted by: walter | Apr 28, 2010 7:50:39 PM

20. He comes from a trashy family and it seems like all the trashy minorites and whites tend to do everything wrong but they only find religon when it comes to homophobia. It makes me think he's a scumbag ,he would be nothing without Calvin Klein. The episcopl church ,the luthern church and most of the Jewish faith supports gays and gay marriage but they tend to cater to smarter more upscale people.

Posted by: Chad | Apr 28, 2010 8:01:52 PM

21. wtf, i like mark but this is utter bs. as a practicing catholic he ought not to be screwing without the benefit of marriage and i think he has three or four kids with his girl friend. i personally don't care who he is f*****g or how many kids he has but what the f**k is this story saying. queer is bad but illegitimate kids are ok. give me a break.

Posted by: lk | Apr 28, 2010 8:31:46 PM

22. how about roles of priests molesting little boys???

Posted by: rick | Apr 28, 2010 8:37:45 PM

23. So glad he didn't take that role. I never cared much for him or his brother. They get uglier each year. Those flared nostrils are gross

Posted by: Name: | Apr 28, 2010 8:55:43 PM

24. Whoa.....Chad ! You're either a Boston Brahmin, or one of the gays pretending to be one because he thinks it's classy!

Posted by: JT | Apr 28, 2010 9:02:01 PM

25. There's a big schism in the first two faiths dividing the churches on the issue of gay bishops and same sex marriage, chad. So it's not accurate to say that the episcopal and lutheran churches support gays and gay marriage. There are many jews who are antigay, too (orthodox and reform, alike).

Posted by: TANK | Apr 28, 2010 9:12:02 PM