I'm Gay | Matt Dillon | News

Matt Dillon: I'd Love to Play Gay

Mattdillon

Boy Culture reports on an article in the March Italian Vanity Fair:

"In the article, he's asked if he could turn gay. Dillon's reply (with thanks to Giulio for a rough translation) is along the lines of: 'Sure, I'd love to. I don't put any limits on myself. There are way too many limits being put on me.'"

And the only thing I can say to that is, "yes, please."

UPDATE: Commenters suggest that the interviewer is asking if Dillon would "play" gay. Certainly a different direction than Dillon himself coming out. Though, that too, would be welcome.

Comments

1. Hmmmm, what day is it?

Posted by: brad | Apr 1, 2010 10:58:20 AM

2. I'm wondering if there's a language disconnect going on here. Perhaps the interviewer thought he was asking if Dillon would "turn gay" while Dillon was answering if he would "play gay." The answer seems to be more contextually appropriate to the latter question than the former.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 1, 2010 11:05:38 AM

3. The original soundbite is here:

The question preceding it gives more context, as he says he likes to plays complex/complicated characters, and that's when the interviewer asks "how complex/complicated? Would you play a gay man?"

And, for the record, Vanity Fair is a weekly, not a monthly publication in Italy, so if people are looking for a paper copy: it's in the March 31 issue.

Posted by: tanpoffel | Apr 1, 2010 11:08:40 AM

4. FWIW, the headline "Posso diventare gay?" translates as "Can I become gay?"

Posted by: seattle mike | Apr 1, 2010 11:46:38 AM

5. He's always been a favorite of mine. I'm surprised he has never had a gay role. I think he has become sexier and more interesting with age.

Posted by: niles | Apr 1, 2010 1:03:36 PM

6. One of my first boyfriends, who was a model, in the early 80's claimed that his photographer messed around with Dillon. Is it true? All I know is that my friends in Hollywood say it would spin peoples heads how many actors and actresses were gay, and just got married to keep working.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 1, 2010 1:12:56 PM

7. I'm an Italian translator. From the snippets of the interview visible on vanityfair.it, the interviewer and Dillon are both definitely talking about (movie) roles.

I love that photo in the suit. You can have your nude-ish Levi Johnston. Matt Dillon, fully clothed and 25 years older, blows him away in terms of sexiness.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Apr 1, 2010 1:29:13 PM

8. I've always heard lots of stories about Matt, too, mostly implying that he was an equal-opportunity lay, leaning hetero. He has always one sexy devil, and his age is clearly no compromise on that!

Posted by: Rascal | Apr 1, 2010 1:30:30 PM

9. he's never been married and never any gossip about him and women...

Posted by: dc-20008 | Apr 1, 2010 1:34:53 PM

10. As long as he can get rid of that stench called "Crash" from his resume, I'm all for it!

Posted by: terry | Apr 1, 2010 1:58:37 PM

11. He's just gotten sexier and sexier as he's aged. A few years ago he was arrested for major speeding on a VT interstate. If only he'd been speeding towards my house, the door was open for you, Matt!

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 1, 2010 1:59:19 PM

12. He lived at the Paramount Hotel in the early 90s when I worked there. He was DEFINITELY an equal opportunity lay. There were all types of shapes and sizes coming out of his room. all the time. He really does have no limits.

Having grown up in Italy he appears to be talking about movie roles but the headline
    "Can I become gay?" doesn't seem to be consistent, probably just to get people's attention.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 1, 2010 2:08:57 PM

13. I've heard the rumors about him being gay, but what I do know for sure is that he is not necessarily the best company for brunch. One Sunday morning he was seated near me at an UPS NY restaurant. He was on the cell-phone for at least three-quarters of the time I observed him, paying no attention to the attractive woman he was with. I would have walked out if I were her (unless I'd not already had sex with him).

Posted by: Michael J | Apr 1, 2010 2:17:37 PM

14. Ahhh Matt Dillion. My teen-age matinee idol crush.

Straight or gay? For me it doesn't matter. He's just a feisty hot dude!

Posted by: New jersey girl | Apr 1, 2010 2:28:30 PM

15. He owes his career to a gay man named Gus Van Sant.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 1, 2010 2:34:32 PM

16. In the film "In & Out," Matt Dillon played an actor who wins the Oscar playing a gay role.

Posted by: Greg King | Apr 1, 2010 3:22:29 PM

17. Yeah "Crash" was a piece of shit.
    But I've been in love with him since "Rumblefish".

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 1, 2010 3:25:12 PM

18. I thought he played gay in There's Something About Mary until half-way thru the movie.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 1, 2010 3:26:58 PM

19. he looks like he'd fit perfectly on the show MADMEN....

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 1, 2010 3:28:32 PM

20. oh dear God, yes please!

Posted by: Sean | Apr 1, 2010 4:36:49 PM

21. Dillon has aged very nicely- and I'm sure he would play a gay man in a movie.

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 1, 2010 6:18:36 PM

22. He was my first movie star crush - in the film "Little Darlings" in the boathouse in those tidy whities. And he gets better with each passing year!!

Posted by: Brett | Apr 4, 2010 2:59:32 AM

23. I love Matt Dillon and his career. He has taken many successful turns and is not bound to stop. i for one am writing a script for him. He will play a role that carves in stone his fine attitude from Rumble Fish, the German terror film and Gus Van Sant's movie. He has many roles left and should be bankable because of the failure of Brad Pitt. Get it! Mail me at j_dooley2@yahoo.com

Posted by: J.W.Dooley | Jun 22, 2010 5:35:35 PM