Ambrose Olsen | Deaths | Fashion Men | Models | News

BigGayDeal.com

Model Ambrose Olson Dies at 24

Ambrose

Ambrose Olson, a successful fashion model who appeared in campaigns for Armani Exchange, Hugo Boss, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, and YSL among others, died unexpectedly last Thursday. No official details as to the cause of death have been released.

Comments

1. I think its truly vial for all of you to first of all take pot shots at the writer but also to be so disrespectful on an RIP blog for a beautiful young man. Just because he was a model doesnt mean that he didnt have friends or family or that he wasnt loved! What is wrong with people today? And what is wrong with you people who think you have a right to speak out just because he was a beautiful man?

Posted by: HarleyGirl | Apr 26, 2010 1:17:33 PM

2. Taylor--the point Walter is making is that Andy *regularly* posts about male models. There always seems to be a flavor of the month he's obsessed with.

Posted by: Peter | Apr 26, 2010 1:19:31 PM

3. Gee - I came to this comments section, which I rarely do, just to see what people said about a 24 year old's death, having recently lost a dear friend at a young age. I thought it might give me a little insight, or comfort with the grief I have been feeling.

Instead, I am treated to an inane debate about the importance of a fashion model's death as opposed to a "normal" person, and the blog host's alleged obsession with male models.

Towleroad is a great blog - informative, interesting, and up to the minute with all kinds of information. I visit here every day before I visit the New York Times. It's a lot more relatable to my own life. The fact that Andy posts pictures of cute guys is a) a nice bonus and b) increases traffic to the site. Since I have not met Andy, I know nothing of his motivations, and am not qualified to judge them. Neither should anyone else.

A man died way too young, Andy thought to post about it, and all some people can do is project their own pathetic hangups about obsession with male beauty in the gay community. I have news - straight men are no strangers to obsessing about female beauty, either.

May this kid rest in peace, and may gay men lighten up about the young and hot, who are always going to get attention no matter what.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 26, 2010 1:50:04 PM

4. Thanks for those with the smarts to understand my concern about the posting.

Shame on all those who feel they need to worship at the alter of any blogger -- not me buddy, no matter how square the jaw or how well connected to cash and influence.

Mr. Towle does a great job. Bravo.
    But he is not above reproach just because he blogs.

Andy comes from a circle of men who at their core are liberal elitists.

P town/Fire Island/Manhattan -
    Sorry but true.

Posted by: Walter | Apr 26, 2010 1:58:05 PM

5. Add me to those sickened by the carping about this post. If you bitch about this story, all it suggests is that you're ugly inside and out. Which isn't a crime, but don't go attacking someone else's death when you know nothing about them.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 26, 2010 1:59:34 PM

6. And yes the deceased is angelic in that photo.
    That is all we know about him from the post.

HERE IS A REAL NEWSWORTHY OBIT :

Posted by: Walter | Apr 26, 2010 2:00:36 PM

7. His death IS new for towleroad since this person had been previously highlighted on this blog. Unlike most of the rest of us!

It's not beacause he was young and thin and white as much as it was his history on towleroad.

Posted by: Tom A. | Apr 26, 2010 2:25:09 PM

8. Q. Are we supposed to take the inference that Andy is shallow, pathetic, and vacant because he posted about a models death to be a valid criticism of this blog?

Y. YES = but only as part of the larger criticism of what passes for gay society.

Posted by: Tasty Vittles | Apr 26, 2010 2:46:51 PM

9. Tom A.

And why does he have a history on the blog at all ??

Because of the blogger's fascination with Madison Avenue beauty standards -- which are used by designers/corporations to make people feel inferior and then buy products to masks those feelings.

There was a time when being a part of that plan was not looked at kindly --- Andy wants this same fashion crowd to advertise on his blog --- but why endless stories on models and then posting now on their deaths - as if they did something important by modeling for clothing lines. HUMPF !

Posted by: Tasty Vittles | Apr 26, 2010 2:52:31 PM

10. the young and hot, who are always going to get attention no matter what .... by the silly and shallow

Posted by: Tasty Vittles | Apr 26, 2010 2:54:11 PM

11. HarleyGirl --

First it is spelled vile not vial. LOL

Second nobody said squat about the deceased.

Third is it stupid to care more about models than about others --- they are just people who photograph well ... and choose to make that their work out of selfish needs no matter the cost to society.

OOPS said something negative about models and one of them died.

Posted by: Tasty Vittles | Apr 26, 2010 2:56:54 PM

12. @Walter:

Andy reported on Simmie and Denise Williams' sad and premature deaths at the times they happened.

Here:
    Here:
    and here:

So your critical example could have been better chosen.

Out of curiosity, do you snipe and bitch about the gratuitous hetero-athlete beefcake and Male-model cheesecake that is also posted on Rod2.0? A quick search I made of that site found none. But I guess you could use a different handle there, like I do. If not, I'd say that makes you look like a hypocrite.

Unless you care to share with us what your *real* complaint about this post is... Other than this unfortunate young man's short life having presumably been lived among other pretty, wealthy, white folks.

Because not only are they not valid concerns for newsworthiness, we don't know them to be true; and I doubt you do .

Posted by: Dego | Apr 26, 2010 3:02:15 PM

13. Why should I care this guy died ?

Posted by: Reality Check | Apr 26, 2010 3:08:38 PM

14. People get the society they deserve -- based on those "defending Andy" without any sense of shame about models being worshiped - well you get the news and blog you deserve.

Posted by: Reality Check | Apr 26, 2010 3:09:55 PM

15. I was going to post something about the previous comments.....but it's all too pathetic.
    Mr.Olson may have had a boyfriend/girlfriend, family, other friends who feel his loss deeply.
    Whether or not, there's a lot of years that could have been ahead of him that's what is so sad.....he doesn't deserve the off stage chorus above.

PS: this blog is read in parts of the world much further away than P'town/Fire Island/Manhattan......and I don't think we're elitist......Liberals , certainly ! But then that word is much abused in USA.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 26, 2010 3:15:37 PM

16. Has there been any verificatia on the young man's sizemeat?

I am interested to know if he was uncut? Was he straight? or did he go for the stinkfish?

TIA!

Posted by: Mrs Partick Campbell | Apr 26, 2010 3:29:15 PM

17. PLEASE leave Mr. Towle alone. His blog is essential AND if a gorgeous model, front and center. in many campaigns that ALSO attract a gay clientele....DIES....it is news. ALL the fuss in the past about Verushka, Iman,Gia,Kathy Ireland,Kate Moss,David Lachapelle, the meanderings of Mr. Bensimon,Scavullo's death,Horst's homosexuality and on and on are of interest why shoot this one down? Naive, unwordly,angry,narrow minded,shallow,callous,
    insensitive and uniformed people BE QUIET

Posted by: Mossy | Apr 26, 2010 3:59:07 PM

18. @Walter

"And time to time those of us who do not place increased value on those with money, power and model-like features need to speak out when that crowd steps out of line --- to keep vulgar displays of poor behavior at a minimum."

It would be nice if you could come up with a vulgar display of poor behavior, before you actually chastise someone for supposedly displaying it.

No matter what you may think...the posting of this obit was in no way poor behavior...let alone vulgar.

Your post are loaded with hyperbole. Better to say, you don't like pretty rich people or the people that do and leave it at that.

Posted by: Taylor | Apr 26, 2010 4:18:43 PM

19. In the end it's okay to have a blog with DIVERSE views in the comments section.

Andy can obviously take the criticism.

We need more people who will critique some gay men's (and some people's) over-emphasis on narrow standards of predominately white, thin youthfulness. This is a GOOD critique, not a bad one.

It's also good that the critique is made WITHIN a powerful blog from a white gay man who has strong ties to many other mainstream gay journalists and activists. This is where the criticism belongs.

Posted by: veg | Apr 26, 2010 5:09:02 PM

20. so sad...who wants cake?

Posted by: TANK | Apr 26, 2010 5:47:00 PM

21. RIP Kid.

I have a feeling Andy can take criticism (I've done my fair share). I think that Towleroad is the best place online to read the comments section. I have learned so much from regular commenters here over the two years that I have been a regular reader.

I also think that we should praise when Towleroad does something especially worthy. Not just activist stuff either. Andy (or whomever the Geek on staff is) gives us some crazy cool science stuff that you don't see on other Gay blogs.

Could it be better? Yup.

So could I and so could you.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 26, 2010 5:49:05 PM

22. I don't agree with Walter, but I do contest the idea this is news. If Cindy Crawford died, it might be news. This is a model I doubt anyone has heard of. That's like saying, the teller at my bank who is cute died...not news. At least not news most of the world cares about.

I'm all of shallow photos of men on here, don't get me wrong. But let's not mistake it for news.

Posted by: BD | Apr 26, 2010 6:01:03 PM

23. Nah, I couldn't possibly be better, by which I mean that no one here could be as good as me.

So, plenty more where that came from.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 26, 2010 6:04:34 PM

24. It's sad that such a beautiful young man is dead- there is a lot to learn form this superior exterior genes do not guarantee a long life.

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 26, 2010 6:31:35 PM

25. So does that mean david ehrenstein will live forever, jaragon?

Posted by: TANK | Apr 26, 2010 6:38:12 PM