Ambrose Olsen | Deaths | Fashion Men | Models | News

Model Ambrose Olson Dies at 24

Ambrose

Ambrose Olson, a successful fashion model who appeared in campaigns for Armani Exchange, Hugo Boss, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, and YSL among others, died unexpectedly last Thursday. No official details as to the cause of death have been released.

Comments

1. @walter,
    you can defend your empty-headed comment til kingdom come. but, i doubt you will emerge any less sheepish.

@tank, wtf is wrong w/u?

Posted by: nic | Apr 26, 2010 6:40:28 PM

2. Someone just died..and all certain people can do is show their hate...nice..

Posted by: alan brickman | Apr 26, 2010 7:24:48 PM

3. My first reaction to this post:

MODEL AMBROSE OLSEN DIES AT 24

~Who?

*scrolls down to read some more*

...successful fashion model...Armani Exchange...Luis Vuitton...no details...

*shrug*

continued scrolling down for the funny youtube clips.

Posted by: Regis | Apr 26, 2010 7:33:53 PM

4. "You shall not know the day nor the hour."

Posted by: Harry | Apr 26, 2010 7:46:16 PM

5. Andy Towle -- keep doing what you're doing -- that's why we read your blog voraciously. And to the ones who feel that they need to keep Andy "in check": check yourself first.

Posted by: michael | Apr 26, 2010 8:04:20 PM

6. "if a gorgeous model, front and center in many campaigns that ALSO attract a gay clientele....DIES....it is news"

this must be the stupidest thing written on Towleroad for quite some time - sad to think the writer lives in such a fantasy world

RIP Ambrose

Posted by: telly | Apr 26, 2010 8:43:16 PM

7. Another webiste is claiming it was suicide.

Posted by: B | Apr 26, 2010 9:27:50 PM

8. It is sad when someone dies a 24. His beauty was amazing.
    It's some of the comments here that are ugly, yes beauty is only skin deep, but ugly is..........you know the rest.

Posted by: Rob West | Apr 26, 2010 10:59:53 PM

9. why is being photogenic such a subject of derision? it's not like it's a choice, either you are or you're not. it's a talent one's born with, like flexibility or to play music by ear. if i could make a good living by being photographed (CAN'T!), why wouldn't i? i'm sure this guy had other talents & qualities that we aren't aware of, likely because of his youth--he had a few years ahead of him to try other avenues. we all respond to beauty (some of us virulently, clearly) & it makes the world an easier place to be in. every time i see a photo of the lovely Jackie Beat, my heart skips a beat & i hear birds sing! very sorry to hear this photogenic young man has left us; thanks for posting, Andy. if you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Posted by: 2 cents | Apr 27, 2010 2:06:37 AM

10. Drugs. And stop deluding yourself; Mr. Olsen wouldn't have so much as given 99% of the posters on this board the time of day in life. His profession, and the people who populate it in front of and behind the camera, are OVERWHELMINGLY aholes.

It's a cold world and the people at the top of any profession, especially 'Glamorous' ones like modeling, acting, arts, etc., are MOST of the time aholes. It goes with the territory.

Posted by: John in Boston | Apr 27, 2010 10:48:13 AM

11. why is being photogenic such a subject of derision? it's not like it's a choice, either you are or you're not. it's a talent one's born with, like flexibility or to play music by ear. if i could make a good living by being photographed (CAN'T!), why wouldn't i? i'm sure this guy had other talents & qualities that we weren't aware of & he was still young, he had a few years ahead of him to try other avenues. we all respond to beauty (some of us virulently, clearly) & it makes the world an easier place to be in. every time i see a photo of the lovely Jackie Beat, my heart skips a beat & i hear birds sing! very sorry to hear this photogenic young man has left us; thanks for posting, Andy.

Posted by: 2 cents | Apr 27, 2010 11:05:12 AM

12. why is being photogenic such a subject of derision? it's not like it's a choice, either you are or you're not. it's a talent one's born with, like flexibility or to play music by ear. if i could make a good living by being photographed (CAN'T!), why wouldn't i? i'm sure this guy had other talents & qualities that we weren't aware of, & he was young & had a few years ahead of him to try other avenues. we all respond to beauty (some of us virulently, clearly) & it makes the world an easier place to be in. every time i see a photo of the lovely Jackie Beat, my heart skips a beat & i hear birds sing! very sorry to hear this photogenic young man has left us; thanks for posting, Andy.

Posted by: 2 cents | Apr 27, 2010 11:09:32 AM

13. Another vapid shallow model passed. Yawn. Pass the marmalade, sugar. I'm quite certain it's going to be one of THOSE days.

Posted by: Hercule Prono | Apr 27, 2010 11:56:53 AM

14. NO ONE would deny he was a beautiful looking dude. I appreciate his physical beauty, and don't in some perverse way fault him for that! He was blessed and more power to others like him!

My point was he was involved in a notoriously sleazy profession and generally it's not good enough just being cream to float to the top. His profession also has substance ABUSE issues of epic proportions. I doubt there's a professional model alive (or dead) at his level who isn't, or wasn't, a substance abuser. And MANY suicides have their genesis in the physiological effects of substance abuse.

Posted by: John in Boston | Apr 27, 2010 4:53:47 PM

15. I can't believe the level of disrespect in the comments! This post is about a young person that tragically lost his life, and some of you are making jokes while others are questioning if this was news-worthy? Have some decency and respect.

If you don't like this piece of news, keep reading and move on.

Is this model's life more important than anyone else's just because he was pretty? Absolutely not. But it is more newsworthy, because chances are most of us have either heard of him or seen his work somewhere.

What I find tragic about this story is that this was a young man felt the need to (allegedly) take his own life. And older person dying of natural causes is hardly unexpected, so while still sad, it's different. I think this story is not superficial at all, in fact, I think there is a bigger issue behind this. Perhaps he too was gay, or just misunderstood, despite his success and career. And the tragic thing is that whatever his issues were, he felt he had no other choice but to kill himself. That's a sign of a much bigger issue in our society.

So again, show your respect.

Posted by: Mr. S | Apr 28, 2010 4:49:51 PM

16. Mr. Olsen WAS GAY. Again, chances are REALLY good DRUGS were involved in altering his mood to the extent he wanted to kill himself.

Ditto Alexander McQueen; he had cocaine and sedatives in his system. I'll bet McQueen's main problem was substance abuse more than anything else.

Posted by: John in Boston | Apr 28, 2010 5:10:16 PM

17. This death is mysterious?!

Not his death is not surprising, I just want to know how Ambrose Olson is dead!

Off course, now the media care and fashion industry too but both of them did care more about Kate Moss and her cocaine supposed abuses!

What a crazy world!

Posted by: Marco | Apr 30, 2010 8:11:33 PM

18. Don’t tell me in this world, things go fast!

People do bad things and I am sure so people killed Ambrose Olsen for no reason!

Ambrose Olsen’s career in fashion was just beginning and he should be millionnaire and alive ( and why not billionnaire ) right now if cowards were not jealous and crying for nothing, nothing that they deserve!

Ambrose Olsen survived H5N1 and H1N1, why Ambrose would have committed suicide? Doesn’t he have good friends by his side, anytime he wanted?!

All I remember is that few people wanted to boycott Armani products because he was too handsome and the model of the 2007’s Armani ads, all of that was before the crisis of course and when Michael Jackson and Farah Fawcett were both still alive! And when Sandra Bullock was still married!

Did I forget any details?!

Please tell me, cause I want to know.

Posted by: Marco | Apr 30, 2010 8:41:56 PM

19. william he was hot and probably more worth living than u!!

ciao

Posted by: zack | Apr 30, 2010 10:36:46 PM

20. I am not surprised that Ambrose Olsen died but I don't know how!

I understood when Alexander Mc Queen had died just few weeks ago that I should have tried to talk with Ambrose Olsen on Facebook but now there is a police investigation I got no regrets to not have been ones of the last persons to have tried to talk to him and asked Ambrose to be one of his Facebook' friends - as I didn't know his email.

Now, I guess I would have been one possible SUSPECT!

OMG, I was very inspired that day to not create my Facebook's profil to contact Ambrose Olsen!

It is really sad to not have been able to talk to Ambrose Olsen just because of the fear to be involved in the possible murder of the most famous top model of the year 2007!

Posted by: Marco | May 2, 2010 8:18:02 AM

21. There is no doubt that the death of Ambrose Olsen is a real drama!

But I want to know how he is dead!

People love men beauty, and maybe too much that is why some hot men die or commit suicide!

I want to know how Ambrose Olsen died in his penthouse of New York City or in his loft or in his flat!!!!! Not because I am curious but because I was pretty sure that his life was in danger and I didn't know how to talk to Ambrose Olsen about my fears and feelings without frightening him and without being involved into his death ( his murder ) one way or another and consequently to have to justify myself to the U.S justice someday possibly as Ambrose Olsen was american!!

All I can say, right now, is that my feelings about Ambrose Olsen were right: I didn't make any mistake sadly! I would have prefered to be all wrong about him!

I was absolutely not obsessed by Ambrose Olsen's beauty and body even if Ambrose Oslen was more than handsome and muscled!

Posted by: Marco | May 2, 2010 10:24:09 AM

22. Jesus Christ, what a bunch of cold, bitter, vicious queens....You know who you are...As a group, we worship beauty over ugly routinely. From all the references to him one thing is clear...A lot of people loved him..Not just his "pretty face".
    Are all these folks shallow, empty headed jerks who just worshipped his "pretty face"?

According to Wikipedia, he was not just another "pretty boy".

Also, did I just miss all the same cold, snide comments to the story on him over at Huffington Post?

Bottom line...Cut the poor kid some slack. You may lose someone you love someday. See how you would feel if people said the same things about them.
    Thanks.

Posted by: chuckfll | May 17, 2010 11:40:07 AM

23. Ambrose Olson is really appreciable model
    He is my favourite model. wish you all the best for your progress and next campaign for
    big brand.

Posted by: jeans online | May 31, 2010 6:43:22 AM

24. Your piece of writing is noteworthy.
    It is a just mind blowing piece of fashion! This is so nice and appreciates post about the fashion. This is so good presentation in fashion. I will read your post on a regular basis and it’s very supportive.

Posted by: agenzia modelle milano | Aug 6, 2011 5:43:39 AM

25. Who is this model? Is he gay? What the connection to a gay news site?

Posted by: J | Oct 25, 2011 5:27:09 PM