Education | Gay Youth | News | North Carolina

Booneville, NC Parents to Hold Separate Prom to Keep Their Kids Separate from Gay Teen Couple?

Teens

Remember North Carolina gay teen couple Chase and Jordan, whose prom dreams were saved by Jordan's mom after she stepped in and threatened action against the school?

Well, things have apparently taken a turn for the worse.

Leesa Nixon writes, on Jack Mackenroth's blog:

"We agreed to do an interview with Fox8 news after they contacted us wanting to do a story about this, the reason we agreed was to offer hope to other GLBT teens who may find themselves in the same situation at their school. Since that story aired, I have felt an extreme amount of disappointment in my fellow man and North Carolina neighbors. Some of the comments that we have received about two gay boys attending the senior prom have been hateful, disheartening, and some have even been scary. They have threatened to hold a separate prom so that their 'straight students' aren’t exposed to Jordan and Chase’s gayness. They have raised 'holy' hell, preaching nonstop about the abomination of homosexuality and I have been told repeatedly, that not only, both boys, but myself included are going to hell."

Nixon, who included some of the parents' hateful comments, says it's unclear what will happen.

Watch the Fox8 interview, which aired earlier this month, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Gay NC Teens Allowed to Go to Prom After Cool Mom Steps In [tr]

Comments

1. North Carolina is a sucky state.

Posted by: JT | Apr 28, 2010 2:16:40 PM

2. I'm getting a little tired of hearing about proms. It's depressing. I hated mine, and had to escort three or four of my fag hag friends to theirs.

I'd sooner go to a pep rally. It's cheaper and shorter.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 28, 2010 2:23:25 PM

3. Again, if the kid's mother had not gone to the press and had this story plastered ALL OVER the web, news and blogs, it would have been less of an issue. People wouldn't have been nervous, bigotted parents wouldn't have felt a need to act out publicly, and I'm sure everything would have gone just fine.

I feel like a bunch of people, on both sides, are trying to jump on the Constance McMillen bandwagon and make this a big issue when it does not need to be.

Posted by: Mike C. | Apr 28, 2010 2:42:42 PM

4. at this point - avoid the south and midwest - as a matter of fact...get the hell out of this country if at all possible..its Imploding with Hate,Bigotry,Religious Taliban hatred,and discrimination! Give me 2-3million - and Id freely leave this backwards,Lying,Hypocritical nation ...Liberty & Justice for all my ass.....its all lies!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 28, 2010 2:49:03 PM

5. No guts no glory Paul R.

You're a first-rate KAPO Mike C.

These kids are our leaders.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 28, 2010 3:00:10 PM

6. @ Mike C: Seriously? Are you saying we should just shut up and be silent?

Posted by: mike128 | Apr 28, 2010 3:01:31 PM

7. This is effing SICK! God, some people are just stupid!

But those guys are super cute couple :)

Posted by: Matty | Apr 28, 2010 3:01:44 PM

8. If Leesa Nixon had not gone to the school to protest the discriminatory policy and petition for change, these two boys would have been denied what most anyone pre-2000, myself included, waaaaay back in the 80s (ditto, Paul R.) was.

Proms really DO suck and are a weak version of cotillion, debutante balls, etc. and a promenade was meant as an exit, sort of the last "hurrah" for graduating seniors. I believe the general consensus for most people, in the long run is, "Meh." That certainly doesn't mean they should be denied that experience.

Chase and Jordan have every bit as much of a right to be a part of a traditional event, but in all honesty, it's not even a taste of real success. The true success here is that they are openly proud of their relationship and are in love. That much is palpable. I wish them a long, happy, healthy, loving relationship.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Apr 28, 2010 3:02:04 PM

9. Look at these issues (year book, prom) and reflect to those of my own... I'm glad that my high school grad experience wasn't so archaic.

I don't get why these schools HAVE to reinforce these ideas of prom but making it a boy/girl partner thing. For our graduation dinner (we didn't call it a prom - I think it help not to reinforce the associated idea) - Sure, there are couples who went together. But it's also widely acceptable for a lot of us to go as a group, i.e. I went with a bunch of guys, and girls did the same. Our parents were present and we celebrated our achievement of REACHING THE END OF OUR HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION! (Our year book photos are of us in graduation gowns - gender neutral and again, emphasize on achievement of finishing high school).

I think when school admins, parents, and students continue to reinforce gender roles and their supposed appropriate behaviors, you will always find these conflicts. And while I'm sure people would argue that these cases help uncover hidden social prejudices and force us to deal with them - I think it's ineffective because you ends up screwing up priorities and lose sight of what's important: a celebration of a momentous achievement - completing a high school education.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 28, 2010 3:06:49 PM

10. Notice we didn't see another student on camera saying a thing. Because by and large these kids classmates would shrug and say, "Whatever." They're more comfortable with open gayness, it's not new to them, their hatred is only a decade deep not many decades.

Who did they get on screen to comment, three gray haired douchebags, the first who starts his comment, "I believe in freedom BUT..."

I believe those are honest well-meaning men who really know about the life of Jesus Christ BUT..."

I hope these other hateful, semi-retarded parents do send their kids to some alternate prom. And pay for it. And I hope their children grow up to resent them for their ignorance and bigotry. And they will. These boys deserve much happiness and fun.

Posted by: BART | Apr 28, 2010 3:13:11 PM

11. YOU'VE screwed up priorities and lost sight of what's important, Dan.

What's important is to stand up for yourself and those you love and refuse to take any shit from the status quo.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 28, 2010 3:33:11 PM

12. They're lucky to have each other as a family.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Apr 28, 2010 3:42:29 PM

13. I'm not saying we should be silent, I'm saying the MOTHER should have been silent. She said that if the school allowed them to go to prom, she would not go to the media. Then what did she do? She went to the media! She went to the papers, blogs television. She even broadcasted the principal's voicemail on the local news. It was only AFTER the mother went to the media, on TV and made it a big national issue that other community members suddenly raised a stink and everyone got a national platform.

After the school said the guys could have gone to prom, that should have been it. They should have been allowed to go to prom without being a media or national spectacle just like everyone else.

Posted by: Mike C. | Apr 28, 2010 3:49:51 PM

14. I like what Dan has to say. Anti-gay sentiment over who kids bring as their date makes it sound like the prom is some sort of heterosexual premarital rite.

Which, for some, later in the backseat of the car, it is. But that's beside the point.

Posted by: latebrosus | Apr 28, 2010 3:50:04 PM

15. the point is very simple, to hell with prom,
    it is discriminationn. plain and simple. the kids want to go to a dance. they are open and honest about who they are. thye deserve support and respect from all of us not snide comments and only a dance. when do we stop letting the "little things "slide. remember everything kids are denied make them feel different and these kids already have enough of that. make them feel accepted . what this country needs is more kids like them and less fucking red neck bigots.

Posted by: walter | Apr 28, 2010 3:55:15 PM

16. Heterosexuals can be who they are and heterosexuals want to make sure every non-heterosexual doesn't get that chance. You either pretend to be heterosexual or else. That is the threat heterosexuals have made against gay people from the beginning of time and most gay people have gone that way because they didn't have the support to be themselves. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!! I'm so sick of living under this haterosexual dictatorship. I am so proud of these two young men being themselves and fighting for it.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 28, 2010 4:12:13 PM

17. The high school in my district had an out prom king last year. Yes in Kansas, if barely. I expect the kids are pretty much fine with this as opposed to their christianist parents.

Posted by: kansastock | Apr 28, 2010 4:51:29 PM

18. The parents are morons. Protecting your kids from exposure to gay people - at a SENIOR PROM? A little late, I think.

And then when your kids go to college....oh, I forget, this is North Carolina.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 28, 2010 4:53:55 PM

19. Every generation has to fight for their rights, in their own way. That said these twinks are the new "freedom fighters" & deserve all the $$ that's being wasted on HRCF, NGLTF,et al.

Posted by: mike shackleford | Apr 28, 2010 4:56:35 PM

20. @ Disgusted American
    "at this point - avoid the south and midwest"
    Really avoid the Midwest? I understand the south seems like it is 50 years behind the times but really the Midwest. The last time I checked in the state of Iowa I can get married and have the same protections as anyone else. I rarely see articles like this about discrimination towards gays in the Midwest. I understand a majority of reads think of the Midwest as fly over country but do not compare my state to the south until you have the same civil rights as I do in my state.

Posted by: iowa bear | Apr 28, 2010 5:00:38 PM

21. Mike C What are parents supposed to do buy into the system or stick up for their kids when they're being craped. Here in the Tampa Bay area there is an alternative prom held every year. But this area has lots of KKK and other christian kooks

Posted by: John Dolwick | Apr 28, 2010 5:17:15 PM

22. I'm just saying, sometimes you have to make a deal. The kid's mother made a deal with the school district that secured her son and his date tickets to the prom. That was wonderful and courageous of her and I applaud her. But, it was only after she went back on her deal, by going to every media outlet that would put her on TV or in print, and breaking the confidence of the school principal by publicly releasing the voicemail, that she started creating new problems. And now, she and the media have created a schism and gotten her son banished from a separate prom to be held.

Face it, the mother should not have stoked the flames and gone to the media after her son was allowed to go to the prom. She should have left it at that, the boys would have gone to prom without any TV cameras, news stories or posts on Towleroad

But you guys wouldn't like that. Because if she hadn't done that, there wouldn't have been any blog entries for you to comment on or Facebook pages to join. We shouldn't be making every gay kid's senior prom into a national issue just to make a point.

Posted by: Mike C. | Apr 28, 2010 5:58:59 PM

23. BTW, looking at the video again, why did the reporter have to interviewed at a gas station?? Lol

Posted by: Mike C. | Apr 28, 2010 6:05:29 PM

24. Yeah, really, @ Disgusted American. Why skip the MidWest. Iowa is cool. I'd skip California and New York, if you insist on skipping anywhere. And skip N.C. (land of John Edwards and Mike Nifong...and others..)but not the entire south.

Posted by: JT | Apr 28, 2010 6:09:43 PM

25. A Gas Station? Quelle Horreur!

More reason for you not to associate with such trash Mike C. After all what are they good for after you've sucked their cocks?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 28, 2010 10:10:47 PM